Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 65)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 65)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 587 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
The Northman
M
Marcus Snowde..
  • Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

Zegler getting a nomination for her first film isn’t unheard of for Oscar, but it seems unlikely. I imagine they’ll wait to see how profitable her future projects like Snow White are before giving her such a significant boost this early on in her career. She hasn’t proven herself to be a box-office draw yet, and as much as some don’t want to admit, box office appeal is very important when it comes to Oscar, historically at least. For instance, I’m convinced Reese Witherspoon, Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Lawrence, and Emma Stone didn’t win Oscars their respective years on their performance alone. Each of their filmographies had already made the industry over a billion dollars by the time they got to the podium. That had to have some influence on voters. I’m sure of it.

Twilight made BILLIONs, yet here we are and Stewart can’t get a SAG nom, let alone Oscar nom. 😭

Profile picture
    BoBo
    Topics:

Lol, yeah there’s the flipside too where you make too much money too quickly and Oscar turns their eye.

At age 31, Kristen Stewart has a networth of $70 million dollars. People like her, Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliff, etc. already can pick whatever script they want, so maybe the industry feels like they have less incentive to reward them.

I don’t think Kristen Stewart is missing, though.

We should all take SAG with an especially large grain of salt this year considering all the “influencers” who voted.

Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

If Film Twitter wants to talk about how these awards are ignoring better performances, then why aren’t they talking about other actresses besides the ones that pundits and critics fed to them? Renate Reinsve and Penelope Cruz? Shocking.

If you wanna pass as “edgy”, I don’t know, talk about Seidi Haarla from Compartment No. 6, Pem Zam from Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom, Taylour Paige from Zola, or any other actress outside the same 10 y’all collectively always mention.

So empty.

It’s hilarious that Neglia had the nerve to quote tweet that like he’s not one of the pundits that will ignore exemplary performances because they don’t have the right narrative or whatever other bullshit they decide takes people out of contention. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Profile picture
    UnionCityMood
    Topics:

Lol, yeah there’s the flipside too where you make too much money and Oscar turns their eye.

I think it also has to do with what kind of films that are grossing that much money. Ampas certainly don’t appreciate Marvel/DC action-thriller films that earn billions easily. So do comedy, horror films, and huge IP films like Harry Potter and Twilight.

IMO the box office boost works best when it comes to the kind of “Oscar films”, because it somehow creates a narrative that “both the industry and the audience are loving it”. For example if West Side Story this year gets $400M B.O. it will almost have BP locked. In the cases for Julia, JLaw, Emma Stone, Sandra, they all won in films that Ampas like, while having huge B.O. showing audience like at the same time.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Twilight made BILLIONs, yet here we are and Stewart can’t get a SAG nom, let alone Oscar nom. 😭

Twillight was a mediocre YA series that happens to be a Box Office Bonkers (Bayformers is the other one I could think of)

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    paddylastinc
    Topics:

My Combos:

Chastain, Colman, Gaga, Kidman, Stewart (Globes’ Drama)
    Chastain, Colman, Gaga, Kidman, Hudson (SAG)
    Colman, Gaga, Kidman, Stewart, Zegler
    Colman, Cruz, Gaga, Kidman, McDormand
    Colman, Cruz, Kidman, McDormand, Stewart
    Colman, Cruz, Gaga, Kidman, McDormand

As I’ve mentioned in the last thread, IMO – Kidman, Gaga and Colman are pretty much locked at this point.

Profile picture
    paraglide
    Topics:

I kinda wanna ask without getting attacked. How is Colman locked? I feel like she is bit weaker?

Profile picture
    French-Girl
    Topics:

🐾 Father, Son and House of Gaga 🐾

- Best actress : Lady Gaga / Nicole Kidman / Penelope Cruz / Jodie Comer / Olivia Colman

- Best Actor : will Smith/ Benedict Cumberbatch / Adam Driver ( for Annette) /

- Best picture : The power of Dogs

- Best photography : Spencer

Profile picture
    Jose Anes
    Topics:
    Govrnmentjudas
    Topics:

what time in europe?

5PM

Profile picture
    paddylastinc
    Topics:

I kinda wanna ask without getting attacked. How is Colman locked? I feel like she is bit weaker?

Hitting all the precursors and most likely getting nominated and winning BAFTA? I honestly don’t see her missing tbh, even though the audience hated the film. She’s also an industry darling, and even edged out Stewart at SAG when some people were predicting her to missed.

Profile picture
    Govrnmentjudas
    Topics:

she already got 3/4 major precursors, won Gotham and i highly doubt BAFTA will snub her

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

We are assuming she will do well at BAFTAs but if you take that than yeah she’s kinda weak

Profile picture
    ScottieG
    Topics:

I guess the moral of the story we keep rehashing in this thread is that the Academy isn’t going to please everyone 😂. I mean I think Glenn Close should have three Oscars by now and Annette Bening four; but alas.

"I'm not mad at you Helga. I'm mad at the dirt!"

Profile picture
    Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

The Academy of course can’t please everyone because there is only one winner and it was said many times before that Art is subjective. Take for instance last year, there were persons who thought Carey Mulligan gave the best performance while others agreed that Frances deserved the win for her performance. This year will once again be the same (and usually is the case every year), some will think Gaga should win, others will think Colman should win and so on. Again, you can’t make everyone happy.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 587 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 65)’ is closed to new replies.