Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 71)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 71)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 503 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
TomJerry
P(oweR) Valley
Babylonian

• TomJerry
    Topics:

Spill! Ocean coming top 50 for oscar predictions and calling the Hopkins/Fight For You upsets was indeed very impressive!

Lol. Okay. I wasn’t active by then. And this year is different.

Münster
    Topics:

Are y’all seriously arguing with someone who just claimed that actresses slept their way to the BAFTA longlist, and called other posters “pedophile incel” among other things?

2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

Why is it that all the trolls from the Grammys threads are on the Oscars threads too 🤦‍♂️

“Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time”

TomJerry
    Topics:

Why is it that all the trolls from the Grammys threads are on the Oscars threads too 🤦‍♂️

Yeah because I called the Grammys surprise and the Oscars surprise too. No shade lol.

Anthagiox
    Topics:

He’s not wrong. You all do play victims. Gaga is now the frontrunner, yet all of you are focused on some pundit’s negative feedback about Gaga’s performance. Newsflash: Not everyone has to like Gaga, House of Gucci or her award dominance. None of it will have an impact on whether or not she wins the Oscar.

You all always pull this “Gaga fans think everyone has to like Gaga” argument when nobody has ever said that. This time around we are talking about the personal attacks on Gaga from so-call professional pundits. They weren’t discussing her performance, they were personally attacking her.

Gaga fans have dealt with the nastiest shit throughout this season because people hate to see Gaga succeed. We’re allowed to feel vindicated now. I get that you don’t like to see Gaga succeed, and that’s fine, but you can’t expect Gaga fans not to revel in the moment.

MrOceanBlueEyes
    Topics:

Lol. Okay. I wasn’t active by then. And this year is different.

i’m barely on this site and barely update my predictions, my scores have nothing to do with anything we’re talking about because it genuinely is just about common sense.  go outside and feel the grass and nature because the way you carry yourself on this site is embarrassing and derranged.

TomJerry
    Topics:

i’m barely on this site and barely update my predictions, my scores have nothing to do with anything we’re talking about because it genuinely is just about common sense. go outside and feel the grass and nature because the way you carry yourself on this site is embarrassing and derranged.

Whatever lol. Go hide somewhere.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Wanda
    Topics:

Can you all just put that lunatic troll on ignore instead of entertaining them?

Topics:

TomJerry
    Topics:

Can you all just put that lunatic troll on ignore instead of entertaining them?

No way you guys know I know what I’m talking about. None of ya’ll would do that.

kbc
    Topics:

She practically scolded a NYFCC member over Gaga’s win on her IndieWire podcast. I think she’s just mad that KStew collapsed.

Many “pundits” as well as a number of journalists covering the industry bet early and big on Spencer – despite the murmurs of skepticism about and resistance to the film in fest season. VF analysts called that issue early on, even if they still felt Stewart was safely in line for an Oscar nom if not a win.

Neon bought all that hyped talk. The studio a) sidelined the rest of its lineup including the brilliant Renate Reinsve to put all its chips on Stewart and Spencer, and b) threw the film into a wide release with expectations of a House of Gucci level of box-office reception. Then, reality slammed into Neon, as it did last season with Ammonite, which its awards campaigners treated as an “in the bag” Best Actress contender – until it wasn’t.

Recall, some Oscar watchers very early on – think summer of last year – regarded House of Gucci, sight unseen, as a potential sweeper. It had the “look and feel” of a contender. I don’t believe Anne Thompson was among them. Recall when she saw it the only major category she added it to on her Predix was Leto, and she did that haltingly at best, as it appeared she felt a “transformative” (“I didnt even recognise him!”) role simply wouldn’t be ignored by Academy voters / the actual quality of the performance aside. Thompson wasn’t exactly paying dirt to HoG and Gaga but Spencer was still riding high in her Predix then despite the deepening cracks in that narrative.

Now, Spencer too was thought of in that “inevitable” way pre-fest circuit, and Anne Thompson was just one of several who went “all in” after actually seeing it – remember the high MC of those initial reviews – the groundwork for the next phase in Stewart’s long-in-the-works evolution from Twilight to serious actress was being laid. Thompson saw it as heavyweight BP contender the way others had regarded HoG, even as that film was continually and conspicuously kept out of festivals.

And then the collision – as Spencer hit theaters just as HoG began to screen for industry – MGM/UA was looking to upstage Neon’s attempt to control the Best Actress narrative of course – and the bet paid off – good or bad everyone had an opinion about HoG and Gaga, while Spencer collapsed in its overly confident wide opening weekend. Since then MGM has held on to the reins – you just know Neon was counting on a Trifecta win for Stewart to right the sinking ship, so when NYFCC went for Gaga I could almost hear the jaws hit the floor at Neon HQ – and since then Neon has stumbled over hurdle after hurdle in precursor season, with Stewart seeing the full suite of contenders fly past her. Eleven different contenders made the SAG, Bafta and Trifecta cuts, and none of them were Stewart? Gurl, the real is shade now.

Now – If Stewart actually makes the Oscar nom list, she will still be walking wounded after all that bloodbath, but a survivor nonetheless. One who will certainly have to smile and nod as someone else wins on Oscar night after months of Neon’s deluded “we got this” notions…

Debatable as to whether that would be preferable to simply not being invited at all 🤷‍♂️ and seeing a “just excited to be here” nominee like Reinsve or Jones in her place.

FYC
    Best Picture: "Aftersun" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Charlotte Wellls; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Frankie Corio; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Paul Mescal; Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Charlotte Wells
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

TomJerry
    Topics:

Then let me stfu then. You guys were quick on that info.

Topics:

2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

On the Gaga debate, I respect every persons opinion on Gaga’s performance whether I agree with it or not. The thing that annoys me is people claiming that she has no chance at a nomination/win, when there hasn’t been anything really against her in her chances of a nomination.

“Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time”

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 71)’ is closed to new replies.