Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 71)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 71)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 503 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
TomJerry
P(oweR) Valley
Babylonian

• TomJerry
    Topics:

The fact that he’s now using the BAFTA jury system to slutshame talented overlooked actresses is disgusting and I hope that this is finally enough for the mods here. Just ban him already.

Also if anything that BAFTA jury system IS sexist and ageist. Lol. I’m calling it out.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Anthagiox
    Topics:

I can’t think of one single time that people on here didn’t freely express that they didn’t like Gaga’s performance. I can’t endorse every single thing that Gaga stans have ever said on here, but a lot of these same people who claim that they were jumped for not liking Gaga’s performance actually consistently made comments that were clearly meant to target and provoke Gaga stans and escalate the drama. It’s pretty easy to put people who you feel are that irritating on ignore and refuse to escalate a conversation that clearly isn’t constructive, but that never seems to be done, I wonder why?

Yep. And the thing is, a lot of these people don’t even talk about her performance, they talk about her on a personal level. They will flat-out call her pathetic, desperate, and a liar and then be like, “wow you can’t say anything about Gaga in this thread unless it’s positive” when Gaga fans call them out. Like, no, of course you can’t come in personally attacking someone without being called out. That’s true for all of the ladies in the running. I know I’ve called out other Gaga fans for personally attacking Kristen and Nicole because there shouldn’t be any place for it.

M
    Topics:

Many “pundits” as well as a number of journalists covering the industry bet early and big on Spencer – despite the murmurs of skepticism about and resistance to the film in fest season. VF analysts called that issue early on, even if they still felt Stewart was safely in line for an Oscar nom if not a win. Neon bought all that hyped talk. The studio a) sidelined the rest of its lineup including the brilliant Renate Reinsve to put all its chips on Stewart and Spencer, and b) threw the film into a wide release with expectations of a House of Gucci level of box-office reception. Then, reality slammed into Neon, as it did last season with Ammonite, which its awards campaigners treated as an “in the bag” Best Actress contender – until it wasn’t. Recall, some Oscar watchers very early on – think summer of last year – regarded House of Gucci, sight unseen, as a potential sweeper. It had the “look and feel” of a contender. I don’t believe Anne Thompson was among them. Recall when she saw it the only major category she added it to on her Predix was Leto, and she did that haltingly at best, as it appeared she felt a “transformative” (“I didnt even recognise him!”) role simply wouldn’t be ignored by Academy voters / the actual quality of the performance aside. Thompson wasn’t exactly paying dirt to HoG and Gaga but Spencer was still riding high in her Predix then despite the deepening cracks in that narrative. Now, Spencer too was thought of in that “inevitable” way pre-fest circuit, and Anne Thompson was just one of several who went “all in” after actually seeing it – remember the high MC of those initial reviews – the groundwork for the next phase in Stewart’s long-in-the-works evolution from Twilight to serious actress was being laid. Thompson saw it as heavyweight BP contender the way others had regarded HoG, even as that film was continually and conspicuously kept out of festivals. And then the collision – as Spencer hit theaters just as HoG began to screen for industry – MGM/UA was looking to upstage Neon’s attempt to control the Best Actress narrative of course – and the bet paid off – good or bad everyone had an opinion about HoG and Gaga, while Spencer collapsed in its overly confident wide opening weekend. Since then MGM has held on to the reins – you just know Neon was counting on a Trifecta win for Stewart to right the sinking ship, so when NYFCC went for Gaga I could almost hear the jaws hit the floor at Neon HQ – and since then Neon has stumbled over hurdle after hurdle in precursor season, with Stewart seeing the full suite of contenders fly past her. Eleven different contenders made the SAG, Bafta and Trifecta cuts, and none of them were Stewart? Gurl, the real is shade now. Now – If Stewart actually makes the Oscar nom list, she will still be walking wounded after all that bloodbath, but a survivor nonetheless. One who will certainly have to smile and nod as someone else wins on Oscar night after months of Neon’s deluded “we got this” notions… Debatable as to whether that would be preferable to simply not being invited at all 🤷‍♂️ and seeing a “just excited to be here” nominee like Reinsve or Jones in her place.

Excellent analysis.

And it’s such a shame that these critics and pundits treat the awards season with such tribalism and feel like they have to go with one pick and actively undermine the rest. I personally liked Both Stewart and Gaga. And I don’t feel like I need to undermine Stewart’s performance to help Gaga or vice versa. At the end of the day, it’s going to come down to how 9000 voters feel about these performances. And winning doesn’t necessarily make one better than the other.

This is primarily what’s wrong with these pundits and most film twitter folks. They pick their favorite, and tear into anyone that can realistically pose a substantial threat to them. The moment Kidman picked up momentum, she got her fair share of the hate. And now it seems it’s Gaga’s turn.

P(oweR) Valley
    Topics:

Don’t you get defensive when someone doubts Drunk Dunst

??? When have I ever defended her, dummy?

Letter Coxd
    Topics:

Neon seems dropping the ball for Kristen based on their latest tweets and now campaigning for Renate with a bit of KStew still.

P(oweR) Valley
    Topics:

The fact this has turned into another Gaga stan worshipping/victim-playing thread with TomJerry posting his usual conspiracies in between is exhausting.

The next most interesting thing about this race is the actual nominations. I can’t wait.

Topics:

2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

I’m trying to be a little sympathetic to the blind Gaga haters, this awards season is going to be REALLY long for them.

“Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time”

P(oweR) Valley
    Topics:

I don’t even care for her music and while she’s a good actress I love how you would never call out the Actor/Picture thread for being a Dog/Benedict “exhausting” “stan worshipping thread”. You just stan the other way, here you go again…

jos

A hit dog will holler.

Also, I have never stanned for TPoD or Benedict Cumberbatch, so stop trying to push that narrative to me. I’m simply predicting it to win the major categories. None of this changes the fact that this thread is now about how Gaga has been “done wrong” by pundits and critics. Sorry.

Topics:

P(oweR) Valley
    Topics:

You do have to admit it is somewhat hilarious and baffling how some (many) critics and pundits have been outright refusing to predict Gaga, and they refuse to because they’re pissed off they’re fav isn’t winning anymore.

The pundits and critics are snobs towards singer-turned-movie stars. No, this is such big news to me.

Haven’t most of you already declared pundits and critics as “irrelevant” after the K Stew massive decline?

2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

jos A hit dog will holler. Also, I have never stanned for TPoD or Benedict Cumberbatch, so stop trying to push that narrative to me. I’m simply predicting it to win the major categories. None of this changes the fact that this thread is now about how Gaga has been “done wrong” by pundits and critics. Sorry.

While we obviously have very different opinions on Gaga, you’re correct that the thread has been largely dominated by discussions of people that have blindly overlooked Gaga. That being said, I don’t see why that is a negative thing. People have talked about critics and fan perceptions (and judging others predictions) in every part of this thread. I don’t really get why it being more Gaga-heavy now makes it all of a sudden a despicable thing to discuss. That being said, I do respect your opinion and predictions and there is 0 reason for you to get the hate you’ve been getting.

“Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time”

Topics:

Topics:
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 71)’ is closed to new replies.