Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 482 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Diamond Tier
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Daniel’s also a better actor than Timmy, that’s just the way it is

FYC
    Everything Everywhere All at Once for everything, everywhere, all at once

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

In hindsight it really wasn’t. Kaluuya is British himself, was already known in the UK for years and Get Out was way bigger than CMBYN

Chalamet just had louder stans

Rising Star is voted by the public. That why it was a surprise.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The British public though. Kaluuya was in Skins (the biggest “teen show” of the century over here). Comparatively hardly anyone knew who Chalamet was then.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

The British public though. Kaluuya was in Skins (the biggest “teen show” of the century over here). Comparatively hardly anyone knew who Chalamet was then.

This + his appearances on Doctor Who, Black Mirror and several other British shows. Kaluuya was already pretty much established in the UK before Get Out

And since the movie was way more popular than CMBYN, his win totally made sense

FYC

AOTY - Renaissance

Best Actress - Michelle Yeoh

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

kaluuya is literally in skins. it wasn’t really a surprise in my opinion that he won. i mean SKINS

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

FYI: I went through every single one of the 18 reviews Passing got after Sundance (MC score: 84) and all but one one praises Ruth Negga AND Tessa Thompson. In fact most of them spend more time on Thompson than on Negga—Negga is brash, larger-than-life, scene-stealing but most of them not only said this is Tessa’s film but spent more time discussing it.

There’s no pans, only one 1 review that’s close to negative (score of 40, that’s the lowest, and that doesn’t pan Thompson, it just doesn’t say much). It’s shocking how many raves it got & somehow people are saying it’s not good enough or whatever. Of course it’s an awards play!—with Bleecker Street, this is a safer choice than Mass. It’s got Netflix, it’s playing NYFF/Telluride, it’s being re-edited. It’s in play! Tessa Thompson’s a perfectly logical choice for critics groups, they just need to raise the film’s profile and they’re doing that with festivals!

I picked Thompson at 64/1 odds but she’s still available at 48/1 odds….

Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

I love Daniel Kaluuya and Timothee Chalamet but this is the 2022 Best Actress thread, why are they being brought up?

“Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time”

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Back to Tessa Thompson, she’s the perfect Black ingenue the acting branch nominates from time to time. Andra Day was nominated over Kate Winslet and Amy Adams. Ruth Negga giving a similar subtle subdued performance like Thompson was nominated over Adams and Blunt that year. Cynthia Erivo was 7th in the odds but ended up getting nominated when many people thought she would miss. All of these actresses received their first acting nomination in lead and it seems Thompson could follow that path with Netflix behind her. ThorLove & Thunder was also suppose to come out this year and I can only imagine that would increase her presence in voter’s minds. But she does seem popular among the acting branch.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yep, Skins was more than enough (love ittttt). But he also had Black Mirror. Plus American actors don’t get in very often & only 3 have won. Guess who? Eva Green, Shia LaBeouf…….and Kristen Stewart (over Carey Mulligan!) 😉

Funny how few Skins actors have gotten that tbh. Dev Patel didn’t get it the year Slumdog Millionaire had the most nods & wins including him for Best Actor!

Nicholas Hoult’s been nominated, Jack O’Connell & Kaluuya won, but what a strange snub for Patel in that category lol. Sad that Kaya Scodelario & Hannah Murray (for Bridgend) never got one. Skins had so many brilliant young actors—I think Freya Mavor, Jessica Sula, Kathryn Prescott, Will Merrick will break out sooner or later.

BUT back to Tessa Thompson. Yeah I think she has a much stronger case for her than many have been arguing. Grab those odds…

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Hmm, I always thought I was more on the upper end with Passing (I liked it a lot and gave it a 7/10), but I guess that was out of my friends who gave it a 5-6/10. Seems like I’m more on the lower end. Not complaining, just a little surprised

FYC

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

and Kristen Stewart (over Carey Mulligan!) 😉

Well, Carey won Best Actress at BAFTA that year, so who got it better? 😉

FYC

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Well, Carey won Best Actress at BAFTA that year, so who got it better? 😉

Fair lol, to be fair I wasn’t trying to stick it to Mulligan but to KStew-haterz lol

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

For a while on here there was very little Gaga talk and not much on Chastain either, both of whom I am very skeptical, just like I am with Kidman. Lulled me into thinking this was a strong field like y’all were saying, but…

I don’t think it is. Sure, we have nothing on Blanchett & Kidman, but apart from Colman, maaaaaybe Stewart and maaaaaybe Cruz I am still struggling to see someone giving an undeniable performance, let alone 5. Usually those 4th or 5th spots are being fought over because of many good performances.

Thats what happens every year. Til august we think its gonna be hella strong cause a-list acts have baits coming on but theyre mostly flops with no campaign. By october after festivals we have 3 names set in stone and the rest of the season is just 3 or 4 people competing for the last 1 or 2. Never too shocking since the 6 major studios that send screeners obviously limits the pool early on.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Fair lol, to be fair I wasn’t trying to stick it to Mulligan but to KStew-haterz lol

True lol I’m just a fan

FYC

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Kaluuya was in Skins (the biggest “teen show” of the century over here).

Posh Kenneth.

The icon. The Legend. The Moment.

Posh Kenneth

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.