Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 80)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 80)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 479 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
The Northman
Babylonian
Monet Tejada
  • Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Again with this talk about The Frontrunner. There is no Frontrunner; how people can look at this messy-ass race and think ANYONE is certain is beyond me.

Profile picture
    VictorVincent
    Topics:

Chastain when she inevitably loses.

Chastain when she inevitably loses.

Fun fact – in Chastain’s research into Tammy Faye she couldn’t find a single clip of her mascara running. Turns out she wore waterproof.
    SNL et al are the only ones to present her like that.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

This campaign knows it’s a marathon not a sprint

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

One thing that could inevitably hurt Cruz is that her film is the only one not readily available for free streaming. Colman is from Netflix, Kidman is from Amazon, and Spencer and Tammy Faye were recently put on Hulu and HBO. Parallel Mothers is on VOD, but even with how badly some of these contenders did box office-wise, Cruz’s film is the one most likely to suffer from visibility problems. Tammy Faye tanked at the box office, but after the SAG win I’m sure a LOT more people will be discovering it on HBO.

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

One thing that could inevitably hurt Cruz is that her film is the only one not readily available for free streaming. Colman is from Netflix, Kidman is from Amazon, and Spencer and Tammy Faye were recently put on Hulu and HBO. Parallel Mothers is on VOD, but even with how badly some of these contenders did box office-wise, Cruz’s film is the one most likely to suffer from visibility problems. Tammy Faye tanked at the box office, but after the SAG win I’m sure a LOT more people will be discovering it on HBO.

Here in Latin America, Netflix uploaded Almodóvar’s entire filmography, including Madres paralelas.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I have such doubts about Chastain. Her win at SAG really feels like something that they’d do and wasn’t totally unexpected to happen. This definitely helps her chances, unlike the way that Chastain’s win makes someone like Kidman rather unlikely to win, but I’m not sure if international voters will really take to her film or her performance. I’ll probably have her as the frontrunner until we get some anonymous ballots. I know some people are counting out Cruz, but I think the hurdle was getting  the nomination at all. PM is definitely getting watched right now and I think she has that international base and passionate actor support that can carry her through.  Something to think about.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

The logic which people have that someone will not appeal to international voters is straight out hilarious because they vote on the performances and I guess they can understand a great performance when they see it. Even if Tammy Faye was known by literally only 2 Europeans,the voters on watching the screeners would definitely realise the mastery. It’s not that they just vote for a character who they know. Else Diana potrayals would be winning. And I just can’t understand why some people have so difficulty in digesting that Chastain might be the default frontrunner.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

I don’t think there’s any frontrunner in this race right now, and there probably won’t be one until Oscar Night.

Said the same.

Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

The logic which people have that someone will not appeal to international voters is straight out hilarious because they vote on the performances and I guess they can understand a great performance when they see it. Even if Tammy Faye was known by literally only 2 Europeans,the voters on watching the screeners would definitely realise the mastery. It’s not that they just vote for a character who they know. Else Diana potrayals would be winning. And I just can’t understand why some people have so difficulty in digesting that Chastain might be the default frontrunner.

Why are you being so dismissive of Chastain not appealing to international voters? There’s a reason she missed LCFF and AACTA. Also international voters lean heavily towards arthouse and critically acclaimed films. Chastain’s film has a 53 on Metacritic…that’s very very difficult to overcome. Chastain might be the default frontrunner, but there are glaring weaknesses in her status just like there was for previous frontrunners like Stewart, Gaga, and Kidman.

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

We will only know when they call the name on stage, I’l be rooting for Cruz but be happy for anyone

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Some people here really like to make definite statements, as if they had any control over how events will turn out. “She needed to do this in order to win”. It’s very funny to watch when they are proven wrong.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Why are you being so dismissive of Chastain not appealing to international voters? There’s a reason she missed LCFF and AACTA. Also international voters lean heavily towards arthouse and critically acclaimed films. Chastain’s film has a 53 on Metacritic…that’s very very difficult to overcome. Chastain might be the default frontrunner, but there are glaring weaknesses in her status just like there was for previous frontrunners like Stewart, Gaga, and Kidman.

I’m not dismissing the international argument but finding it hilarious when it’s brought up at every single turn when there are two more performances in the category that might be “unappealing” to international voters- Kidman in BTR and Stewart in Spencer (due to what people might expect and end out watching). People vote based on performances,not based on a character they liked else Leda Curoso would not even be close to a nomination.

Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

I’m not dismissing the international argument but finding it hilarious when it’s brought up at every single turn when there are two more performances in the category that might be “unappealing” to international voters- Kidman in BTR and Stewart in Spencer (due to what people might expect and end out watching). People vote based on performances,not based on a character they liked else Leda Curoso would not even be close to a nomination.

But the people arguing for international support don’t make the argument that international voters vote for the character. International voters gravitate to performances that appeal to their international sensibilities. I mean Frances Mcdormand played a fictional character (who was American) that appealed to international voters since she depicted the enduring stoic enduring character so well. Andra Day and Viola Davis played real life people that were not appealing to international voters. Zellweger on the other hand played Judy Garland, who is an international icon from Old Hollywood and places top 2 with critics. It’s not the character actors play that is important; it’s the PERFORMANCE.

Profile picture
    hyrax57
    Topics:

The thing really going for Jessica Chastain is that she hasn’t won before and she is clearly liked by the Academy with her big years in 2011-2012. However, the movie is NOT good. The only movie I’ve been able to get people to watch in the Best Actress race is BTR.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 479 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 80)’ is closed to new replies.