Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 83)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 83)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 474 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Go Yeoh!
Ashton_Reeves
FEFFO
  • Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Film Twitter and Forum members have a thing against transformational performances. (Many of you still hate Renee’s win despite her being the best of the 5) Oscar might favor them for a nomination, but it’s only been 10/13 times in the last decade that such a performance has won in the Best Actress category. And contrary to popular opinion, they are very hard to execute. One slip and they can become a shallow lazy caricature. A biographical performance is much harder to nail compared to a character performance that one has no reference to. Is it lazy filmmaking? Maybe. But it’s definitely not easy to act nor perform! I understand people prefer performance that they can ‘relate’ most with and is rooted in the grounded reality of emotions, but it will be great if we can look beyond that sometimes.

The problem is that it’s a lot of work that goes into a movie that often isn’t particularly great in its own right. The performances may be good – these are actors at the height of their field, of course they’re good – but they’re in the service of movies that are formulaic and take no risks. People don’t resent the transformation, they resent that the transformation is in service of a mediocre movie.

Profile picture
    Jodie_Comer
    Topics:

Jessica Chastain is overdue. It’s her time. It’s just like Kate Winslet, some might argue Jessica is more overdue than Kate was.

Jodie Comer for Killing Eve
    Sandra Oh for Killing Eve

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Creating a film that is loved by the audience and masses is hard than making a critically acclaimed movie. One of the reasons why despite the acclaim, Spencer and Lost Daughter have such extreme audience reviews.

Also, this is just…not true? It’s very easy to please audiences: give them what they already know. Look at how many sequels and reboots and franchises are in the highest-grossing movies of last year. It’s much harder to make a movie like Spencer or The Lost Daughter and have it not come off like pretentious horseshit (some may think they failed, but whatever.)

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Sorry im talking to much my golddebry family
    Rather get Jessica out the way now because these ingenues probably about to be dominating lead actress.
    Zendaya (winning a oscar before this decade is up)
    Anya Taylor Joy
    Florence Pugh (she was but the projects she been picking lately are not Oscar friendly)
    Saoirse Ronan
    Taylor Russell
    Jodie Comer
    Vanessa Kirby
    Margot Robbie (Winning a Oscar before this decade is up )
    Thomasin McKenzie
    Millie Bobby Brown

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

sorry for the off-topic since she’s not in the race anymore, but the Gaga mentions keep coming from all places lol she will be back

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

Film Twitter and Forum members have a thing against transformational performances. (Many of you still hate Renee’s win despite her being the best of the 5) Oscar might favor them for a nomination, but it’s only been 10/13 times in the last decade that such a performance has won in the Best Actress category. And contrary to popular opinion, they are very hard to execute. One slip and they can become a shallow lazy caricature. A biographical performance is much harder to nail compared to a character performance that one has no reference to. Is it lazy filmmaking? Maybe. But it’s definitely not easy to act nor perform! I understand people prefer performance that they can ‘relate’ most with and is rooted in the grounded reality of emotions, but it will be great if we can look beyond that sometimes.

I agree with what you said, tho I’m hoping for more biographical films to be more like Steve Jobs, Jackie, Monster, The Queen, in which we were given moments to dive in to the characters’ minds. Biographical films need better writing me think, more than they need better actors to portray the person. A lot of biographical films are like scrapbook of events, that’s why a lot of ppl can’t relate with the characters and the performances feel less “raw”.

I also think people hate biographical performance because it’s been an easy way out to win or get nominated. For a lot of people, biographical performances are also easier to “judge” since there are concrete measures.

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

I am of the opinion that Netflix somewhat “botched” the promotion for The Lost Daughter. They made it looks like a murder thriller based on the trailer. They are successful in its awards campaign tho.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Jessica Chastain is overdue. It’s her time. It’s just like Kate Winslet, some might argue Jessica is more overdue than Kate was.

Although I’m rooting for Chastain, this made me laugh. Chastain is not even remotely as overdue as Winslet was. Heading into the Oscars 2009, Winslet had starred in Heavenly Creatures, Sense & Sensibility, Hamlet, Jude, Titanic, Holy Smoke!, Quills, Iris, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Finding Neverland, Little Children, The Holiday, The Reader and Revolutionary Road. Titanic was the highest grossing film of all time, The Holiday and Flushed Away were huge hits, Finding Neverland,The Reader and Sense & Sensibility wer hits.

By the time the Oscars rolled, her awards resume was:

Heavenly Creatures
    (LFCC)

Sense & Sensibility
    (GG,won SAG, won BAFTA,Oscar)

Titanic
    (LFCC,EFA,GG,SAG,Oscar)

Holy Smoke!
    (NYFCC,NSFC)

Quills
    (LFCC,SAG)

Iris
    (won LAFCA,won EFA, GG,BAFTA,Oscar)

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
    (LFCC,NYFCC,GG,CC,SAG,BAFTA,Oscar)

Finding Neverland
    (CC,BAFTA)

Little Children
    (LFCC,GG,CC,SAG,BAFTA,Oscar)

Revolutionary Road
    (won LFCC,NYFCC,won GG, SAG,BAFTA)

The Reader
    (won LFCC,won EFA,won GG, won CC, won SAG, won BAFTA, won Oscar)

Now tell if Chastain is Winslet level Overdue.

LFCC-London
    NYFCC-New York
    LAFCA- Los Angeles
    NSFC- National Society
    EFA- European Film Awards

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    Go Yeoh!
    Topics:

Also, this is just…not true? It’s very easy to please audiences: give them what they already know. Look at how many sequels and reboots and franchises are in the highest-grossing movies of last year. It’s much harder to make a movie like Spencer or The Lost Daughter and have it not come off like pretentious horseshit (some may think they failed, but whatever.)

All of those are franchise films. Outside of the typical superhero, slapstick comedy template – how many have appeased both critics and audience? I meant films like La La Land, Nomadland. Those that have garnered universal love.

Profile picture
    Jodie_Comer
    Topics:

Now tell if Chastain is Winslet level Overdue. LFCC-London NYFCC-New York LAFCA- Los Angeles NSFC- National Society EFA- European Film Awards

That’s fine but im saying that Kate wasn’t as beloved as Jessica and there wasn’t that much of industry respect and overdue narrative for Kate as there is for Jessica. Simply put, Jessica has more groundswell and was stronger than Kate at that time.

Jodie Comer for Killing Eve
    Sandra Oh for Killing Eve

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

That’s fine but im saying that Kate wasn’t as beloved as Jessica and there wasn’t that much of industry respect and overdue narrative for Kate as there is for Jessica. Simply put, Jessica has more groundswell and was stronger than Kate at that time.

Sure,Jan.

Profile picture
    Go Yeoh!
    Topics:

The problem is that it’s a lot of work that goes into a movie that often isn’t particularly great in its own right. The performances may be good – these are actors at the height of their field, of course they’re good – but they’re in the service of movies that are formulaic and take no risks. People don’t resent the transformation, they resent that the transformation is in service of a mediocre movie.

A lot of times a film might read great on paper, but it turns out to be average as a final product. It’s eventually the director who is riding the boat and he is accountable for how it turns out. And I don’t think any actor will say no to an opportunity to play a complex autobiographical character.

I disagree with good actors always being good. A miscast can ruin the performance. Kristen has evolved as an actor but 10 years ago if she had to do Spencer, she wouldn’t have pulled it off so wonderfully. Nicole’s performance is also up for debate. Without disrespecting anyone, pulling off a credible performance in an average film is more of skill because a lot of actors can’t act without a good script or good direction.

Profile picture
    Go Yeoh!
    Topics:

I like Jessica but Kate is a global star.

I am from India and an average person doesn’t know Jessica or Beyonce (putting her name because she is a megastar in States) but they do know Leo and Kat. Titanic was a phenomenon. Kate has been very respected and loved celebrity.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I hope Academy resumes to Feb scheduling next year. No April, March shows please!

I agree 100%. I really hope next year’s ceremony takes place in late February.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I agree 100%. I really hope next year’s ceremony takes place in late February.

I’d say 15th-25th February or something like that is really good.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 474 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 83)’ is closed to new replies.