Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 472 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
Donnna
kallewickans_3
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 9.

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

Jennifer Hudson was pretty bad in Respect. She did great in the musical numbers, but outside of that, I found her performance to be extremely caricatural and unnatural.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

She’s not happening but FYC Sharon Horgan for Together! Such a heartbreaking down to earth carthatic depiction of loss during times like these (it’s out in cinemas in the US – and is getting a PVOD release soon – and is on IPlayer in the UK, I’d highly recommend giving it a watch, James McAvoy is also excellent in it!)

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Barely a month after the polls opened and we’re already on part 9…

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

1. Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter 
    2. Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley
    3. Penelope Cruz, Madres Paralelas
    4. Kristen Stewart, Spencer 
    5. Lady Gaga, House of Gucci

6. Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
    7. Jodie Comer, The Last Duel
    8. Halle Berry, Bruised
    9. Tessa Thompson, Passing
    10. Jennifer Hudson, Respect 

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Seen Respect and I don’t see Jennifer Hudson getting nominated. She doesn’t deserve a nomination for this. There was just no scene that made her look Oscar worthy. Obviously, Aretha Franklin isn’t an Oscar worthy role…maybe because she didn’t have any personal struggle and her civil rights movement wasn’t so prominent like Billie Holiday. I don’t even think Hudson would have been nominated last season cos she didn’t accomplish half of the things Andra Day accomplished as Billie Holiday. Shoot me, but I enjoyed The United States vs Billie Holiday much more than I did Respect. Nothing about Respect deserves any recognition.

Halle Berry and Tessa Thompson better be good else we’ll have a shut out of black nominees this year

Aretha Franklin’s life is baity, but the film played so dirty to her legacy. When you do a biopic, the main question is about what to bring as part of the story?

-La Vie en Rose gave us how one of the most iconic voices in France was born and dealt with a broken spirit like Edith Piaf.
    -Judy was about the prelude of the death of a icon.
    -The United States vs Billie Holiday dealt with the empowering of a black woman who not only became one of the top singers of blues but also a key activist.
    -Rocketman we saw a man dealing with his own sexuality and addictions.

After finishing the screen of “Respect”, my first thought was. “Respect was about Aretha… dealing with some of her men in her life?” Because that was the main subject line: how Marlon Wayans’ character treated her. How Forest Whitaker’s father was there even if he was a shady person in real life. But the treatment about her motivations, her own talent, her thoughts was botched between a bad editing work, terrible script, uninspired directing work and subpar acting work. Her activism work was cut and the main songs only work as reaction of the male characters actions against Aretha. It’s terrible how the script treated Aretha as a passive character defined for others, when the real one was the opposite.

About Jennifer Hudson, as I wrote in the “overpredicted/underpredicted thread”, if that performance is Oscar bait, turn off the light and get out. Hudson is just a bad as an actress and there aren’t excuses in this 2021.

Aretha Franklin really deserves a proper film. Hoping in the future she can get a better film and performer than Respect and Jennifer Hudson.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

1. Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter 2. Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley 3. Penelope Cruz, Madres Paralelas 4. Kristen Stewart, Spencer 5. Lady Gaga, House of Gucci 6. Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos 7. Jodie Comer, The Last Duel 8. Halle Berry, Bruised 9. Tessa Thompson, Passing 10. Jennifer Hudson, Respect

I like this line up

For August my line up

1.Kristen Stewart

2. Olivia Colman

3.Penelope Cruz

4.Cate Blanchett

5. Lady Gaga

6. Jodie Comer

7.Nicole Kidman

8.Halle Berry

9. Tessa Thompson

10. Jennifer Hudson

Subject to Change next week But I’m still betting  Kristen  Stewart as No.1

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

1. Cate Blanchett

2. Olivia Colman

3. Nicole Kidman

4. Penelope Cruz

5. Jodie Comer

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Barely a month after the polls opened and we’re already on part 9…

Sounds like common thing for Best Actress thread..

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Cate Blanchett 2. Olivia Colman 3. Nicole Kidman 4. Penelope Cruz 5. Jodie Comer

Blanchett in first? That’s an interesting one. I think she will get nominated but that’s more due to how strong Nightmare Alley might be in Picture rather than anything else. It doesn’t feel like a winning role (I’m sure she’ll kill at as always).

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I was quite confident Comer would make it in the lineup but have been having doubts recently due to how strong the Venice actress contenders will be at Venice. It is quite possible Colman, Cruz, and Stewart all soak in the raves for actress buzz leaving Comer out cold. It is even more difficult for Comer since her film is out of competition so she in unable to compete for the Volpi Cup. The Volpi Cup winner and Olivia Colman will most likely be nominated at the Oscars and it has been getting increasingly more difficult for more than 2 Venice actresses to get in at the Oscars.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

I feel like the safest bets are Olivia Colman and Lady Gaga (not the first year I’ve said this lol)

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

I only feel certain about Kristen and Olivia. Neon and Netflix seem VERY confident about them, I doubt their films get bad reviews. The rest could go either way, but rooting for Penelope, Halle, Tessa or Renate to complete the lineup. Which is probably too good to be true but one can dream.

I feel you I’m rooting for Halle even as nominee because she’s been gone from the awards conversation for 20 years the drought is to real. The poc is not as strong as last year.😭😭😭We will not have a poc win a Best Actress Oscar this year maybe next century.

Aren’t you all embarrassed by this. Like it’s 2021 & just now a Black female director has a number 1 movie. This isn’t me shading Nia or any of the other ladies but this business really does Black women directors dirty. So tell me again how diversity has helped Black women

Im genuinely scared for Halle.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.