Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 518 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

For Cumberbatch/Dunst/Campion it would be similar – Venice premiere on the Thursday and be in Telluride in time for that Friday event that all tributes have to be present for that I can’t remember the details of.

It’s an event for patrons up on the hill, I wouldn’t know, I’ve never been a “patron”. That happens I believe the Monday after the fest, but the tribute screening happens during.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    khushb2
    Topics:

she sweepin

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Netflix has four major Best Actress contenders this season

– Jennifer Lawrence in Don’t Look Up

– Tessa Thompson in Passing

– Kirsten Dunst in The Power of the Dog

– Ana De Armas in Blonde

I don’t think Tessa will be a thing but cannot say for certain if she is not in contention. It’s also possible one of the three other contenders doesn’t fizzle out a nomination. Or Netflix attempts to get Jlaw and De Armas both in for lead while frauding Dunst in supporting to maximize their nomination haul. Either instance it will be fascinating to see how Netflix will handle their campaign. Very strong year for Netflix compared to last year.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

She is much better

I love Kirsten, but no. Besides, why compare an actress with an actor old enough to be her father? Bizarre.

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I love Kirsten, but no. Besides, why compare an actress with an actor old enough to be her father? Bizarre.

Yeah that point was made. Diamond Tier felt the need to totally misunderstand the point of a previous post and compare Dunst with an actor 24 years her senior lol. Personally, I don’t like Oldman much (I’ve only ever loved him in Tinker Tailor, but honestly maybe I’m forgetting films because he’s been around since before I was born), but that’s a separate thing. The comparison’s ridiculous. It was made to argue “she’s not worthy of Oscar consideration.”

FYC:

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I just want my girl Dunst to finally land that Oscar nomination. She’s way overdue for a nomination. It’s time!

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Netflix has four major Best Actress contenders this season

– Jennifer Lawrence in Don’t Look Up

– Tessa Thompson in Passing

– Kirsten Dunst in The Power of the Dog

– Ana De Armas in Blonde

I don’t think Tessa will be a thing but cannot say for certain if she is not in contention. It’s also one of the three other contenders doesn’t fizzle out a nomination. Or Netflix attempts to get Jlaw and De Armas both in for lead while framing Dunst in supporting to maximize their nomination haul. Either instance it will be fascinating to see how Netflix will handle their campaign. Very strong year for Netflix compared to last year.

I’m really rooting for Passing to be a top-of-the-line player beyond Ruth Negga. I’d love to see Thompson get a nod. It’s a great role! I haven’t seen the film but based on the book, Negga has the scenery-chewing role but Thompson has the role that makes or breaks the whole story. If Passing‘s good, it has to mean Thompson is good.

I personally don’t think JLaw will be a thing, especially in a big comedy-satire ensemble. And if she is a thing, why wouldn’t they put her in supporting like they put Amy Adams in Vice. Leo I’ll give some leeway, but I don’t see it for JLaw. I still think Dunst will go lead—to maximize their nomination haul, they’ll want Frances Conroy (great role) in contention if not Thomasin McKenzie as well (a very buzzy actress but the size of her role is unknown, all we know is it’s not a cameo). Overall, Dunst has a much meatier leading role than JLaw. Frauding JLaw will be easier, but it seems like Don’t Look Up‘s best contenders will be Leo and…Streep, maybe? I don’t know, I’m so skeptical about this film.

Best Actress is a strange category this year because of the many potential fraudings. JHud, Thompson, de Armas, Kidman, Jones are definitely leads. I think Dunst and Blanchett are almost definitely leads, probably McDormand too. Comer is also a lead but will she be frauded? I don’t see why, given how the trailer positioned her. Honestly it’s hard to tell at this point if Lead or Supporting will be more competitive.

FYC:

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I personally don’t think JLaw will be a thing, especially in a big comedy-satire ensemble.

I’m betting Jlaw gets in based on her “comeback” narrative and star power. After she got in for Joy I’ve learned to not underestimate her. Also helps McKay is great at getting actors in for less meaty roles. I currently have Jlaw and Dunst both in for lead with De Armas missing (Blonde will be too weird) as well as Tessa. It would be quite strange if Dunst does not go lead considering Jane Campion is at the helm of the film who’s known for producing strong nuanced female characters. A female directed film with a male lead and all of the women going into supporting doesn’t seem right.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’m betting Jlaw gets in based on her “comeback” narrative and star power. After she got in for Joy I’ve learned to not underestimate her. Also helps McKay is great at getting actors in for less meaty roles. I currently have Jlaw and Dunst both in for lead with De Armas missing (Blonde will be too weird) as well as Tessa. It would be quite strange if Dunst does not go lead considering Jane Campion is at the helm of the film who’s known for producing strong nuanced female characters. A female directed film with a male lead and all of the women going into supporting doesn’t seem right.

Agreed on almost everything but…I dunno about her comeback narrative. I don’t know if it’s a strong narrative in the first place (she’s been missed but it hasn’t been that long) but more to the point I don’t think Don’t Look Up will be that comeback vehicle honestly—even if it’s good. It’s just such a big ensemble in a year of big ensembles (Nightmare Alley as well, arguably Dune). Depends on how the film does. Yes it could get JLaw in for Lead, but I’m not underestimating her, I just think this is not Joy for her (lol, no pun intended). She needs a showcase. The argument for de Armas is that even if Blonde is too weird, hopefully she’ll get a showcase at the very least? Also JLaw won’t get the Globes boon that she always used to (she WON for American Hustle, goddam that’s embarrassing).

I guess what I’m saying is it feels to me a little like JLaw’s chances of getting in are about the same as Timothee’s chances of getting in for Dune (for the sake of argument, let’s put personal opinions of actors aside, because I don’t have a very high opinion of Timothee lol). But for the sake of argument.

Also, I don’t really think this will pan out but Netflix also has Halle Berry’s Bruised. That feels like a lead acting play, if it’s any good.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I’m betting Jlaw gets in based on her “comeback” narrative and star power.

I just don’t see it unless both her movie and her performance are truly great. She isn’t THAT old, she hasn’t been away THAT long, and I just don’t think that she’s as widely loved or revered as she would need to be for a “comeback” narrative to result in a nomination after such a relatively short time “away.”

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Agreed on almost everything but…I dunno about her comeback narrative. I don’t know if it’s a strong narrative in the first place (she’s been missed but it hasn’t been that long) but more to the point I don’t think Don’t Look Up will be that comeback vehicle honestly—even if it’s good. It’s just such a big ensemble in a year of big ensembles (Nightmare Alley as well, arguably Dune). Depends on how the film does. Yes it could get JLaw in for Lead, but I’m not underestimating her, I just think this is not Joy for her (lol, no pun intended). She needs a showcase. The argument for de Armas is that even if Blonde is too weird, hopefully she’ll get a showcase at the very least? Also JLaw won’t get the Globes boon that she always used to (she WON for American Hustle, goddam that’s embarrassing). I guess what I’m saying is it feels to me a little like JLaw’s chances of getting in are about the same as Timothee’s chances of getting in for Dune (for the sake of argument, let’s put personal opinions of actors aside, because I don’t have a very high opinion of Timothee lol). But for the sake of argument. Also, I don’t really think this will pan out but Netflix also has Halle Berry’s Bruised. That feels like a lead acting play, if it’s any good.

From the initial reactions to the film, Jlaw definitely seems like a coattail nomination (As expected from McKay films) if she does happen since most people did not signal her out. Her nomination is contingent on her competitors falling out and with Comer looking like she will go lead, Jlaw’s nomination chances definitely decrease since Jlaw is not strong enough to muster a nomination without coattailing.

De Armas’ case is so interesting we really have no idea what to make of her role. Definitely need a trailer to see what her role is like but for the time being I can expect her to give a full acting showcase but still be denied since the film is too weird and a fictional Marilyn Monroe may be off-putting to stale AMPAS. On the other hand AMPAS has traditional biopic bait to bite on from Hudson in Respect, Kidman in Being the Ricardos, and Chastain in The Eyes of Tammy Faye (lmao).

Also, I don’t really think this will pan out but Netflix also has Halle Berry’s Bruised. That feels like a lead acting play, if it’s any good.

Completely forgot about this film. Netflix has such a strong showing for female leads this year!

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Hudson in Respect, Kidman in Being the Ricardos, and Chastain in The Eyes of Tammy Faye (lmao).

lmao is right lol (for Tammy Faye)

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Diamond Tier felt the need to totally misunderstand the point of a previous post and compare Dunst with an actor 24 years her senior lol.

You are totally obsessed lol 😂 Again, wolfali made the Oldman/Dunst comparison, I did not. Yet for some reason you’re fixated with me. Weird asf.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress’ is closed to new replies.