Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 518 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Music Forever
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

You are totally obsessed lol 😂 Again, wolfali made the Oldman/Dunst comparison, I did not. Yet for some reason you’re fixated with me. Weird asf.

I wasn’t arguing she was considered overdue like Oldman was 💀💀💀…

Honestly lol I’m just surprised by how somebody can seem to misread this many posts & take things this literally. wolfali didn’t make a literal comparison! Only you thought that. Not even I thought that for a second.

OK, sorry folks, yes I know I’m being annoying. I’m just going to assume this person is 12 because that’s the only thing that makes sense.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Agreed. I’m actually shaking things up and picking Don’t Look Up as the winner for BP and Screenplay . I think Jlaw has been on a slump with her choices of projects these past few years, but everyone loves a comeback.

The above comment is so perfectly answered by the post below. I don’t know anyone who misses Jlaw oh-so-much for there to be a comeback narrative? Her career is going through a strange period where the films she just weren’t any good (Red Sparrow, Passengers, X-Men: Dark Phoenix). If crabbie’s comment about early reactions not singling her out are any indication, I don’t see why Jlaw would be coast through, especially in an ensemble film, and especially if Don’t Look Up flops or under-performs.

I just don’t see it unless both her movie and her performance are truly great. She isn’t THAT old, she hasn’t been away THAT long, and I just don’t think that she’s as widely loved or revered as she would need to be for a “comeback” narrative to result in a nomination after such a relatively short time “away.”

I get it if people want to see her back in good films, but she has upcoming projects to look forward to. I don’t see any reason why this will be her ticket. Obviously, I think Dunst will be making it in with a role and director that good, but forget that—as stale as biopics are, even Ana de Armas seems like more likely to me on paper. But also: this category looks small right now. Something’s going to come and shake it up, and my money is on Olivia Colman in The Lost Daughter, or something.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Its not surprising if GD is full of stans (in fact it is including myself and active GD users like wolfali, but at least she is objective and some Gaga or Michelle Williams stans.)

Nothing wrong with that.

on separate note we will about to have some category frauds this year

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

Chile if anyone is 12 it’s you.

Agreed. kaziz is a straight weirdo & too obsessive lol he/she needs to chill. At least they acknowledge they’re being annoying….

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Chile if anyone is 12 it’s you. Yes I am new to GD but I’m not new to awards board/talk in general. I’ve been on AW, IMDB, Variety boards, etc for years, your stan for Kirsten Dunst makes me think you are either related to her or you are her husband. I’ve never seen someone bring her up as much as you do. She has had a couple decent TV Roles (she lost to Lady Gaga for Christ sakes) and a few decent film roles. In what reality are you living in? She’s not overdue, she’s barely anything to talk about.
    sorry for the vent but good lord

OK don’t talk about her if “she’s barely anything to talk about.” No one’s making you. Feel better?

Unrelatedly, because that just…lol, yeah, I’m done—

I raised this in BP but I’m pretty skeptical of Spencer not just because of Diana/Stewart but also because it’s also distributed by Neon, which I think gets a little too much credit because it got lucky with Parasite & I, Tonya. It’s had a lot of Oscar-worthy films get zilch. It has Memoria and Titane this year as well so…probably not gonna happen.

But I’m a little confused about Tilda Swinton in Memoria. I got the impression she wouldn’t be a contender but the predix centre has her pretty high up. Have the Cannes folks just been really quiet?

FYC:

Profile picture
    ClareHen
    Topics:

I respect people want to root for their favorites, but when you bring them up in 90 percent of your posts it screams desperation. IMO Kirsten Dunst best role was Fargo and she LOST to Lady Gaga… nuff said

you sound really fucking dumb. she was the best of the year, everyone thought she was robbed and it was the globes you idiot, gaga didn’t even make the emmys because she was a stiff mummy. watch more films. you need some exposure. the dunst stans are much bigger than one person

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

um. okay i need to not be here right now.

FYC:

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

I’m betting Jlaw gets in based on her “comeback” narrative and star power. After she got in for Joy I’ve learned to not underestimate her. Also helps McKay is great at getting actors in for less meaty roles. I currently have Jlaw and Dunst both in for lead with De Armas missing (Blonde will be too weird) as well as Tessa. It would be quite strange if Dunst does not go lead considering Jane Campion is at the helm of the film who’s known for producing strong nuanced female characters. A female directed film with a male lead and all of the women going into supporting doesn’t seem right.

Joy was a biopic with female empowering central subject and she was the clear lead. Don’t Look Up is not. Even from the same test screeners mentioned JLaw as coattail at best (and they don’t actually believe she will be in Oscar contention). Had it been in supporting, maybe, but in lead? Really doubtful, considering this isn’t a memorable character with witty lines, or dramatic and empathic enough. This would need a complete rewrite for making that role baity (Think about promoting Brad Pitt’s role in “The Big Short” as lead. That’s JLaw’s role in “Don’t Look Up”). At least with DiCaprio, there’s a element of going against typecasting while playing against DiCaprio’s real person and the supporting roles are actually the baity ones (Blanchett, Morgan, Rylance and Streep).

Even if you angle the aspect of comeback, this won’t happen if the role wasn’t there. And unless McKay really changed completely the script (And it seems he didn’t a lot for JLaw’s role), it won’t be enough for nominated even if the film is Netflix’s no. 1 contender

Also, if “The Lost Daughter” was acquired on Netflix as some sources had mentioned, more competition for the Best Actress slate by Netflix. Colman’s role is so Oscar-win bait. Maggie Gyllenhaal would really need to screw the adaptation for flopping. Still the competition for Best Actress looks strong enough, on paper.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Also, if “The Lost Daughter” was acquired on Netflix as some sources had mentioned, more competition for the Best Actress slate by Netflix. Colman’s role is so Oscar-win bait. Maggie Gyllenhaal would really need to screw the adaptation for flopping. Still the competition for Best Actress looks strong enough, on paper.

Was it? I can’t find anything. Sadly it’s still without a distributor to the best of my knowledge.

But yes, if it comes through, Colman’s coming like a steam train. That book and that role…not to mention it’s Colman.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Since when did the stans become nasty lol, especially for someone that literally no one talks about but the 5 fans she has on here

Mr. Pink, I’m going to say this once and then ignore your posts because I think it’s obvious to me that the only reason you’re picking this fight is because you think Dunst is a trash actress, and/or you’re surprised people have actually deemed her Oscar-worthy in the past. You’re entitled to whatever opinion, obviously. My problem is that I know I shouldn’t interact with you, but as is obvious, I’m argumentative. Thus the handy Ignore button saving me from my own immaturity (hopefully).

1. You just joined. A simple Google and GD search would reveal she’s talked about on GD all the time, there’s been many, many long-ass threads. Plenty of people think she’s incredibly underrated and contrary to your opinion, has an excellent filmography.
    2. ClareHen was very rude as well. Since you’re new—GD removes forum posts from the total number once they’re old enough. Maybe it is a sock account, I don’t know, but you can check forum activity. Their activity goes back to 2017.
    3. Literally everyone here is a stan. I wish I got paid to stan, but such is life.

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress’ is closed to new replies.