Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 523 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 10 is now open.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

GD needs to stop act like they have the best movie taste. Counter-culture by hating what mainstream audiences liked doesn’t make your taste looks good.

Mainstream doesn’t always mean garbage and vice versa.  Do yourself a favor and watch a Popcorn flick once.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

I have Biopic Fatigue. Please Hollywood STOP.
    Anyway, Don’t Look Up! Please don’t fail us McKay.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

My friend watched TPOTD in Telluride and his reactions convince me there are obvious reasons why it didn’t win Golden Lion. It’s very accessible and it’s not very dark. It’s the screenplay that doesn’t do it justice for elevating it into a masterpiece like “The Piano.” Right now I’m putting my hope in these 4:

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

My friend watched TPOTD in Telluride and his reactions convince me there are reasons why it didn’t win Golden Lion. It’s very accessible. It’s the screenplay that doesn’t do it justice for elevating it into a masterpiece like “The Piano.” Right now I’m putting my hope in TPOTD and these 2:

I thought the writing was TPOD’s weakness also

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

GD needs to stop act like they have the best movie taste. Counter-culture by hating what mainstream audiences liked doesn’t make your taste looks good.

Mainstream doesn’t always mean garbage and vice versa. Do yourself a favor and watch a Popcorn flick once.

You mean what they were most exposed to? So billion dollar studios with such intense publicity and almost brainwash over the years you’re inclined to believe it’s more enjoyable and entertaining than a “slower” film?

I’m not saying the same doesn’t happen the other way around tho. Specially when people here are so dependent on critics reviews or precursors nominations to justify their personal taste.

Also, what if it’s time for a Uwe Boll reevaluation.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Also, what if it’s time for a Uwe Boll reevaluation.

Uwe Boll should be banned from filmmaking, period.

Nice points, but worth nothing that Popcorn flick like Marvel are always more enjoyable for mainstream audiences than stuffs liked by guys here even before MCU become a thing. Take a look at Bond movies, MI movies that has existed at the same time with “Cinema at its peak”. General audiences would enjoy some people kicking ass with explosion background more than a story about racism, or any subject matters that has been repeatedly used in Oscar baits. Its sad but true. Also applies for mainstream romcoms like Kissing Booth and Any 90s Romcom you could name.

Besides, you can have an enjoyable popcorn flick while having great emotional impact (see: The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 by Sam Raimi). MCU just doesn’t utilize that formula and went with their own instead, which works and has been overdone since. Its not GD cup of tea, but yeah it is what it is.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

You mean what they were most exposed to? So billion dollar studios with such intense publicity and almost brainwash over the years you’re inclined to believe it’s more enjoyable and entertaining than a “slower” film? I’m not saying the same doesn’t happen the other way around tho. Specially when people here are so dependent on critics reviews or precursors nominations to justify their personal taste. Also, what if it’s time for a Uwe Boll reevaluation.

I mean 8 times out of 10 I completely agree with the original poster. I’m only predicting these “slower” films because it’s a race at the end of the day, but I agree with the OP. You have 10 nominations, why vote for all arthouse slow burner films? Am I saying let’s go vote for Marvel, DC films? No, but come on, they do almost entirely vote for some shit that is straight sleep inducing at times, well, a lot of the times. I think what the OP is saying is would it kill them to vote for a popcorn flick that has both style and substance, and also good acting with a good storyline is all.

Profile picture
    dee mura
    Topics:

Me right now with the marvel discourse:

“I’m playing both sides so that I always come out on top”

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Mainstream doesn’t always mean garbage and vice versa. Do yourself a favor and watch a Popcorn flick once.

Who is the person you have in mind when you say this? I…think I consider myself the most hardcore of cinephile but I fucking LOVE a lot of mainstream films, I never miss a Marvel film, I’m hot on many franchises but I don’t know a thing about some because…everyone has some things they don’t know. E.g. I’ve never watched a single Fast & Furious film lol. That’s honestly just….accident.

Honestly, I watch trash “popcorn flicks” all the time—but when I say trash I’m qualifying it. There are good ones and terrible ones. I love Mean Girls and The Hunger Games. Yeah, I actually genuinely believe The Hunger Games films are really fucking good lol! No one’s going to succeed in shaming me for it so ¯_(ツ)_/¯ On the other hand, I have no idea why I love Saw films lol bc most are absolute trash but…I love em anyway lol

Most people I know are like this—if they’re not admitting it, they’re elitist pricks but I highly doubt it’s actually TRUE. The only people I think who probably only watch one kind of cinema are filmmakers. I kinda don’t get who you’re describing? Elitists?

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Who is the person you have in mind when you say this? I…think I consider myself the most hardcore of cinephile but I fucking LOVE a lot of mainstream films, I never miss a Marvel film, I’m hot on many franchises but I don’t know a thing about some because…everyone has some things they don’t know. E.g. I’ve never watched a single Fast & Furious film lol. That’s honestly just….accident. Honestly, I watch trash “popcorn flicks” all the time—but when I say trash I’m qualifying it. There are good ones and terrible ones. I love Mean Girls and The Hunger Games. Yeah, I actually genuinely believe The Hunger Games films are really fucking good lol! No one’s going to succeed in shaming me for it so ¯_(ツ)_/¯ On the other hand, I have no idea why I love Saw films lol bc most are absolute trash but…I love em anyway lol Most people I know are like this—if they’re not admitting it, they’re elitist pricks but I highly doubt it’s actually TRUE. The only people I think who probably only watch one kind of cinema are filmmakers. I kinda don’t get who you’re describing? Elitists?

Yep. Elitist

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Oh c’mon you can enjoy Marvel movies and still admit they’re all mostly the same thing. There’s nothing elitist about that. Elitism is saying these movies don’t have a right to exist, which I don’t see anybody doing.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Denis is completely right about Marvel movies but also they’re fine and I really enjoy them, that’s my take.

Although lol that he said that when like half the cast of DUNE is in the MCU.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

To clarify: I’m on board with Denis. I just pointing out how some GD Folks are just saying “Marvel bad” just like when they shit on crowdpleasing movie that made it into BP lineup. MCU Movies, save for few exceptions, are formulaic for the better or worse and it worked for them. They haven’t had a critically derided movie since Thor: The Dark World.

Blind Marvel stans will find a way to bash Denis, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.