Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 523 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Seems like it’s a four horse race now: Belfast, POTD, Nightmare Alley and Licorice pizza. Interesting.
    I don’t get why people call the power of the dog accessible when some users still claim that rewatches and reading the book will be rewarding and make you understand the characters better. That sounds like inaccessibility to me.

Does the fact that I felt I wanted to rewatch and did rewatch The Favourite, Roma, Parasite, Nomadland, The Father, Sound of Metal, Moonlight, Spotlight, Boyhood (list goes on) mean that those are inaccessible? Does the fact that I liked & understood them better even more the 2nd time mean they are inaccessible? Does the fact that I read the novel version of Call Me By Your Name after the film mean it was inaccessible?

I rewatch and often read the source material for everything I love all the time. Strange thing to say.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

So far everything about TPOTD seems like Marriage Story…

Netflix original
    Complete festival rollout
    92-94 on Metacritic
    Runner up at TIFF

Like it’s almost identical.

Omg and then it also gets a Best Supporting Actress win…

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Unrelated to awards chances but I can’t shake this unavoidable feeling that The Power of the Dog, in impact, is most like The Hours. In that I feverishly went back to the source material as if the director wanted me to (Campion’s said she wants that!) It’s pretty cool. I just wish TPOTD’s score was as good at charting its characters emotional arcs 🙈

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

So far everything about TPOTD seems like Marriage Story… Netflix original Complete festival rollout 92-94 on Metacritic Runner up at TIFF Like it’s almost identical.

And possibly a lead actor performance (Driver, Cumberbatch) that loses out to one with a bigger narrative (Phoenix, Smith)? I can see it.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

If Gilderoy Lockhart wins Best Picture I’m gonna have to wipe my own memory with Ron’s broken wand… 😩

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

What’s up with all these dumb comparisons lmao

Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

Green Book really broke everyone’s minds lol. Now every time there’s a populist film in contention for best picture, it gets called the new Green Book on these forums. Last year it was Trial of the Chicago 7 and this year it’s Belfast.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Seen that it didn’t make the top 3 at TIFF, do you think that the “The Humans” is going to miss a Best Picture nomination? Do you think that it still has potential for nominations in other categories (Adapted Screenplay, Supporting Actor and Actress)?

Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

Seen that it didn’t make the top 3 at TIFF, do you think that the “The Humans” is going to miss a Best Picture nomination? Do you think that it still has potential for nominations in other categories (Adapted Screenplay, Supporting Actor and Actress)?

Was The Father eligible for the People’s Choice last year? Because it didn’t place in the top 3 either.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Is Apple handling Macbeth’s awards campaign? If so, then I dont think it will easily miss picture nomination since its A24’s only awards player (They do wonders when they only have one priority: Moonlight, Ladybird and Minari although all of those has stronger reception than The Humans). Not so sure about Houdyshell, Jenkins might has a great chance to make it in since Supporting Actor is empty AF, but the question is.. will he gets in for The Humans or Nightmare Alley?

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

You’re all idiots for being hell-bent on these retarded comparisons. Stop trying to look smart.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Out of everything that has released so far, I think King Richard is winning. I can see it getting lots of 1,2 and 3 on the preferential ballot, as well as getting 2 acting awards and screenplay. I also think it’s going to get that editing nomination.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Is Apple handling Macbeth’s awards campaign? If so, then I dont think it will easily miss picture nomination since its A24’s only awards player (They do wonders when they only have one priority: Moonlight, Ladybird and Minari although all of those has stronger reception than The Humans). Not so sure about Houdyshell, Jenkins might has a great chance to make it in since Supporting Actor is empty AF, but the question is.. will he gets in for The Humans or Nightmare Alley?

It’s a good perspective. I’m keeping it in for the moment, but who knows what’s going to happen…

After having thought about the “Nightmare Alley” trailer a great deal, I’m starting to think that it won’t be big in acting categories. It just doesn’t look like that kind of movie, but I might be wrong of course.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Dune has 75 percent on meta critic and 90 percent on rotten tomatoes and has earned 26.5 million at box office and is expected to earn over 36 million this weekend and the hbo max numbers probably will be good and it’s not even open in America. I’m not even a fan of the movie but I’ve seen people talk about it flopping it’s not flopping actually it’s doing really good and probably will be nominated for best picture.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Was The Father eligible for the People’s Choice last year? Because it didn’t place in the top 3 either.

I don’t know if it was eligible, but it did play at TIFF. One difference between The Father and The Humans is that, while it has some really good actors, the latter does not star Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.