Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 523 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Tbh, not really hyped for Cmon Cmon. Just seems another Oscar bait. Joaquin Phoenix doesnt even interest me. These Oscar baits are getting tiring and boring. Hope The Academy gets a bit weirder.

Something tells me we didn’t watch the same trailer

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

More thought about“Dune” (with very soft spoilers of the kind you read in most reviews):

After watching “Dune” I started to think about the issues raised in most of the reviews: a lot of world-building and not enough storytelling. It’s an issue that is often raised by detractors of “Blade Runner” and you know what? I fucking love “Blade Runner” and so does Denis Villeneuve. I don’t really care if there isn’t enough storytelling. I want to explore the world of “Blade Runner” (well, not really, because it’s dying but you know what I mean) just like I want to explore the world of “Dune” with its planets and civilizations (the Bene Gesserit matriarchal sect of psychics and their powers, for instance).

I really loved the arcane objects and the Middle Eastern influences in the imagery of Arrakis. They give this culture a mysterious, mystic and exotic aura, set in opposition to the cold steel and stoicism of house Atreides. I also appreciated the parallels with our contemporary world. Ecology, colonialism and the exploitation of natural resources are just hinted at in the movie, but the more you think about it afterwards, the more important they become to understand that there are levels of allegory hidden in this story.

The (white) kid-savior narrative of the movie feels certainly familiar, but not clichéd because Villeneuve is clever enough to make both Paul and the viewer feel a subtle uneasiness about it from the start. Are the Atreides going to save Arrakis from oppression or are they just the new rulers? Chalamet plays Paul as decidedly uneasy and uncertain about being “the chosen one”: a scene in the desert where he’s queasy and concerned about the future shows it really well. He also gives Paul a much-appreciated pensiveness in a world of action and cold self-assured rulers. I guess we’ll have to wait for the second part (fingers crossed) to learn if Villeneuve will further complicate the white savior trope or not.

“Dune” is reminiscent of many things from “Lord of the Rings” to “Star Wars” or even “Game of Thrones”, but it’ s not a flawless masterpiece. It has occasional problems of pace, the score is too bombastic at times and its most interesting themes are hidden from view. Not everyone is going to like it: it’s a blockbuster with little action and I’m sure that the fans of the books are going to complain that this or that wasn’t explained in the movie well enough, but overall I found it a remarkable achievement. It has a complex and fascinating mythology that it’s definitely worth being explored more in detail and a story that, while it may feel a bit like an archetype of interplanetary science fiction, intrigued me nevertheless.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Trailer for Passing.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1440339779598487555?s=21

Trailer for Passing.

Idc about any negative opinions because this is 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 and a FAB trailer. TESSA AND RUTH BRING IT ON HOME

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

a hero can win the oscar for best picture? 🤔 feinberg has the movie as the frontrunner for best director

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1440339779598487555?s=21 Trailer for Passing.

This looks so good!

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    mansos
    Topics:

My uneasiness with it is that DW and FM are both in their sixties and these characters they are playing are most definitely much much younger – 30’s and at most early 40’s.

It’s actually a conscious move to let the characters be older in the adaptation. I think it was Coen who said in an interview that their age and the fact that they’re childless to some extent will be the motivation and driving force of their actions in the film.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

This looks so good!

Absolutely clobbered that McBeth crap. Really great trailer. Didn’t know the movie’s Netflix too. Damn, too many movies for them to juggle. Acting by Negga and Thompson  looks stellar. Also, am I detecting some kind of AS renessaince? He’s in this and some other stuff, and is reportedly the MVP of The Northman.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

What? Another Netflix contender? Ruth looks fabulous!

Btw, what Macbeth released was only a teaser (a stunning one.) Let’s not be too harsh on it.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Way too many B&W contenders this year.

Anyway, Passing looks great.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Absolutely clobbered that Macbeth crap. Really great trailer. Didn’t know the movie’s Netflix too. Damn, too many movies for them to juggle. Acting by Negga and Thompson looks stellar. Also, am I detecting some kind of AS Renaissance? He’s in this and some other stuff, and is reportedly the MVP of The Northman.

With Netflix sheer volume becomes a problem, so I’m a bit worried Passing may get lost in the streamer’s shuffle if it doesn’t attract some strong precursor momentum. It’s joining The Lost Daughter, another Netflix film, for a NYFF booster shot – worth watching which one comes out in the stronger position in terms of reax & renewed buzz. The studio certainly will be.

So The Tragedy of Macbeth: Apple is juggling CODA, Swan Song and half of this one, with the other half on A24’s plate with The Humans, Red Rocket and C’mon C’mon – the last two also getting NYFF boosters.
    This is a lot, and we’ll see what gives. post-trailer I’m still not convinced of TTOMb’s Oscar prospects – I sense I’d more enjoy Joel Coen and this cast mounting this at Shakespeare in the Park than heading to the cinema for it. For direct adaptations of Shakespeare, there has been a high bar at the Oscars in recent decades for picture noms (last was Zeffirelli’s R&J in the late 60s), as well as directing and acting (last for both was then-wunderkind Branagh for 1989’s Henry V). It will be a tall order in a heavily competitive year.

Profile picture
    Film expert
    Topics:

Probably Apple.

Yeah, of course Apple, it’s their film, they even put “apple original” card in the trailer. A 24 is only handling for them the limited domestic release.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Yeah, of course Apple, it’s their film, they even put “apple original” card in the trailer. A 24 is only handling for them the limited domestic release.

I am quite sure Macbeth will be right alongside The Green Knight, Zola, Val, The Souvenir Part II, Red Rocket, C’mon C’mon and The Humans on A24’s FYC site when it launches.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Tbh, not really hyped for Cmon Cmon. Just seems another Oscar bait.

Mike Mills films are not Oscar bait by virtue of his film never getting more than one nomination lmao

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Loved the trailer for Passing, can’t see Negga not sweeping now. However as someone who loved the book I’m not sure about the black and white shoot. I totally get artistic reasons but I dunno… I just think Negga’s makeup would be more shocking to a general audience if it were shown in colour…

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.