Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 521 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Can’t help but feel like the December 25 release date for Macbeth will be overshadowed by Nightmare Alley and Don’t Look Up. I don’t have this slotted in Picture or Adapted Screenplay, but acting and cinematography are on the table.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Loved the trailer for Passing, can’t see Negga not sweeping now. However as someone who loved the book I’m not sure about the black and white shoot. I totally get artistic reasons but I dunno… I just think Negga’s makeup would be more shocking to a general audience if it were shown in colour…

The thing about the B&W was that every critic commented on it (many many many reviews from the unedited version that showed at Sundance) and said it actually comes off really well, it’s not a gimmick, there’s a clear reasoning behind it. So I don’t think it’s a shtick designed to show that “they can’t actually pass” or whatever, and in any case both Negga and Thompson are light-skinned enough to seem dusky. The first time I saw Ruth Negga I actually DID think she was white or mixed lol (I saw her in some TV show before Loving). Tessa I first saw in Dear White People, but her role is obviously very different.

They both look SO. BLOODY. GOOD.

Also, I think Passing or The Lost Daughter ARE getting into BP, maybe both. Passing is more of a Sound of Metal-like choice (intelligent & unexpectedly moving) and The Lost Daughter is an actress-led vehicle that may not be for everyone but is lauded enough to get in on the strength of its main performance and overall feat. With guaranteed 10 nominations, these two, and Spencer—which might have previously seemed on the bubble for me—are much more likely to be in than out.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

The Macbeth trailer was too short to glean anything from other than the stunning cinematography. On the other hand, Passing looks absolutely fantastic from that trailer!

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Btw I still find it funny that when Joel Coen decided to do Macbeth, he thought: “Oh yeah, let’s cast a 65 year old Afro-American guy as the 30-40 year old white Scottish Lord Macbeth!!”.

Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

Btw I still find it funny that when Joel Coen decided to do Macbeth, he thought: “Oh yeah, let’s cast a 65 year old Afro-American guy as the 30-40 year old white Scottish Lord Macbeth!!”.

So literal lol. Shakespeare roles have frequently been cast colourblind or across age differences. This is no different.

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

The Tragedy of Macbeth: My god. The visual stimulation of that one under-a-minute trailer was enough to get me so hyped. It seems too daring and “arty” for the Academy but it is Denzel, Frances, and Joel Coen so if it gets good enough reviews on Friday it can still get in BP.

Passing: This looks fantastic, both Thompson and Negga look like they’re firing on all cylinders and I don’t see how Negga doesn’t get nominated if Netflix provides at least a proper campaign for her.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Passing in Vanity Fair

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

So literal lol. Shakespeare roles have frequently been cast colourblind or across age differences. This is no different.

Just because something is done doesn’t mean it’s a good idea for it to be done. There was much (correct) criticism of Washington playing the lead in the Broadway production of A Raisin in the Sun, a role that he was 30 years too old to play. It is a legitimate criticism.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Fuck it I’m so excited

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I’m curious to know about the reception of “The Tragedy of Macbeth”. I don’t believe those rumor about being rejected for the Venice Film Festival. Something else that we don’t know about must have happened.

Profile picture
    Miguel Alves
    Topics:

Passing just looks like another Black and White movie.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Just because something is done doesn’t mean it’s a good idea for it to be done. There was much (correct) criticism of Washington playing the lead in the Broadway production of A Raisin in the Sun, a role that he was 30 years too old to play. It is a legitimate criticism.

Criticisms about casting are never legitimate until you’ve actually seen the performance. How do you know that Denzel doesn’t deliver if nobody’s seen the movie yet?

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

My favourite poster so far… Thompson has such a gorgeous profile whew

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

I’m not too familiar with A Raisin in the Sun but I would argue classical works such as Shakespeare more readily lend themselves to non-literal interpretation, including casting. Think of how many white actors have played Othello (even recently, including a “photo negative” casting of Patrick Stewart with an all-black cast filling out the remaining roles), or of the women who have portrayed Hamlet such as Sarah Berhardt or Judith Anderson. You could argue that film is a more literal medium than stage but, well, it doesn’t always have to be.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.