Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 523 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

Just because something is done doesn’t mean it’s a good idea for it to be done. There was much (correct) criticism of Washington playing the lead in the Broadway production of A Raisin in the Sun, a role that he was 30 years too old to play. It is a legitimate criticism.

I’m not too familiar with A Raisin in the Sun but I would argue classical works such as Shakespeare more readily lend themselves to non-literal interpretation, including casting. Think of how many white actors have played Othello (even recently, including a “photo negative” casting of Patrick Stewart with an all-black cast filling out the remaining roles), or of the women who have portrayed Hamlet such as Sarah Berhardt or Judith Anderson. You could argue that film is a more literal medium than stage but, well, it doesn’t always have to be.

Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

It’s nice to see the correct name above the correct character on a poster for once lol.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

It’s nice to see the correct name above the correct character on a poster for once lol.

Hillbilly Elegy flashbacks.

FYC -
    • The Power of the Dog - All categories, especially Picture/Director/Adapted Screenplay (Jane Campion), Best Supporting Actress (Kirsten Dunst), Best Supporting Actor (Kodi Smit-McPhee), and Best Cinematography (Ari Wegner)
    • Passing - Best Actress (Tessa Thompson), Best Supporting Actress (Ruth Negga)
    • The Lost Daughter in all categories, especially Picture/Director/Adapted Screenplay (Maggie Gyllenhaal), Best Actress (Olivia Colman), and Best Supporting Actress (Jessie Buckley)

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

There are people who still don’t think King Richard or Spencer will get nominated for BP in a field of TEN. Absolutely insane.

Anyway current predictions:

LOCKED:
    King Richard
    Belfast
    The Power of The Dog

SAFE:
    Spencer
    Don’t Look Up
    Licorice Pizza
    Nightmare Alley
    Dune

LIKELY:
    The Lost Daughter
    Passing

ALSO POSSIBLE:
    House of Gucci
    West Side Story
    C’mon, C’mon
    The French Dispatch

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Macbeth teaser was way too short, barely anything was given, but Passing looks very intriguing and both ladies are serving in that trailer.

*runs to update actress and supporting actress*

Profile picture
    Miguel Alves
    Topics:

Both House of Gucci and Dont Look Up are rated R

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Also, I think Passing or The Lost Daughter ARE getting into BP, maybe both. Passing is more of a Sound of Metal-like choice (intelligent & unexpectedly moving) and The Lost Daughter is an actress-led vehicle that may not be for everyone but is lauded enough to get in on the strength of its main performance and overall feat. With guaranteed 10 nominations, these two, and Spencer—which might have previously seemed on the bubble for me—are much more likely to be in than out.

THR highlighted The Lost Daughter in their critics festival picks today, which maybe doesn’t mean too much but I dunno…I think there is enough passion for it on top of winning a Venice award that it will get in.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

I continue to be eh on the entire idea of another Shakespeare remake and that. teaser did very little to curb that for me. Cinematography does look great. Ultimately nothing to really glean from just a few shots. Although I remember people in early reactions saying the movie leaves you feeling a little cold or detached, which I could kind of understand from what little we saw. Friday reactions will be interesting.

Passing looks amazing I’m totally on board. Tessa Thompson being nominated…I would be unbearable. Love her.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

The Macbeth trailer looks absolutely mind-blowing. I literally get goosebumps from thinking about the “something wicked this way comes” line.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

RIDERS OF JUSTICE:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Mads Mikkelsen)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Nicolas Bro)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

passing is doing nothing for me, likely cuz Im fairly certain that something bad is going to happen to neggas character ( not a spoiler, just speculation based on the way such movies tend to play out). We’ll hear more about macbeth in 2 days so that’ll be interesting

Profile picture
    Alessandro Leri
    Topics:

There are people who still don’t think King Richard or Spencer will get nominated for BP in a field of TEN. Absolutely insane. Anyway current predictions: LOCKED: King Richard Belfast The Power of The Dog SAFE: Spencer Don’t Look Up Licorice Pizza Nightmare Alley Dune LIKELY: The Lost Daughter Passing ALSO POSSIBLE: House of Gucci West Side Story C’mon, C’mon The French Dispatch

I’d put licorice pizza in the safe list while Nightmare alley I’m sure is not happening because it’s too dark. It’s not going to be nominated for picture or acting categories. Probably cinematography and some other technical categories.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

There are people who still don’t think King Richard or Spencer will get nominated for BP in a field of TEN. Absolutely insane.

For all the whining about the lack of PoC in 2022 line-ups, GD disregard for KR is curious to say the least. The movie’s seen and it’s a bone fide contender. Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress, SAG Ensemble noms are happening, and out of those there will be some wins too. Boxoffice will be strong. Commercial story for audience around the world. Thanksgiving holiday for legs. It’s very much in.

Tessa Thompson being nominated…I would be unbearable. Love her.

Tessa has the best shot for nomination cause Netflix has a blind spot in Actress with their current priority TPOTD. So they will have to campaign someone from a different movie – Tessa, JLaw, Berry. Negga looks amazing too but she’s supporting and that’s a category where Netflix is already pushing Dunst and could also push Streep. So between them 2, Tessa at least has less of an internal competition to overcome in order to compete extrenally.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Just finished The Power of The Dog and while I do think it’s a great film overall, the ending was far too abrupt and out of nowhere.

As far as Oscar chances goes, there is no way in hell this wins Best Picture and I have doubts about director and adapted screenplay as well. I really think this might go home empty-handed. I think it’s going to be treated the same way Phantom Thread was(although I did like that one far more than this.).

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

When are the House of Gucci reviews coming?

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

Just finished The Power of The Dog and while I do think it’s a great film overall, the ending was far too abrupt and out of nowhere. As far as Oscar chances goes, there is no way in hell this wins Best Picture and I have doubts about director and adapted screenplay as well. I really think this might go home empty-handed. I think it’s going to be treated the same way Phantom Thread was(although I did like that one far more than this.).

Still a better shot than King Richard.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.