Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 521 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I continue to be eh on the entire idea of another Shakespeare remake and that. teaser did very little to curb that for me. Cinematography does look great. Ultimately nothing to really glean from just a few shots. Although I remember people in early reactions saying the movie leaves you feeling a little cold or detached, which I could kind of understand from what little we saw. Friday reactions will be interesting. Passing looks amazing I’m totally on board. Tessa Thompson being nominated…I would be unbearable. Love her.

I’m not on board either, we already had a Macbeth adaptation last decade, do we really need another when there are so many decent Shakespeare plays that haven’t had the cinema treatment?

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Tessa has the best shot for nomination cause Netflix has a blind spot in Actress with their current priority TPOTD. So they will have to campaign someone from a different movie – Tessa, JLaw, Berry. Negga looks amazing too but she’s supporting and that’s a category where Netflix is already pushing Dunst and could also push Streep. So between them 2, Tessa at least has less of an internal competition to overcome in order to compete extrenally.

I think Netflix’s strongest lead Actress contender will be Olivia Colman.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Jackr123
    Topics:

If Green Book won Best Picture, King Richard can too.

King Richard and Green Book are not comparable

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

How so? Feel-good films based on a true story that tackle systemic racism with acclaimed writing, directing and acting. Not to mention that King Richard is far more liked by critics and filmmakers than Green Book was.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

If Green Book won Best Picture, King Richard can too.

I am puzzled: which other categories besides Best Actor is King Richard likely to be nominated in. In my opinion it will fall out of the top five in every other category it has even a tiny amount of viability in – it’s not getting nominated for Director, Cinematography, Film Editing, Sound, Costume Design, Score, Screenplay and I don’t believe that Ellis is going to get past the 8 or 9 stronger possible nominees in the Supporting Actress category. So you think it will get 2 nominations? Selma and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close are the only two films that have gotten only 2 nominations. And The Departed is the only film in decades to receive less than 6 nominations to win Best Picture (The Departed had only 5 nominations). (IDK if KR has an eligible Original Song? Enlighten me if it does but that still means only 3 nominations).

Green Book won over older white male voters who pulled it over the finish line. Roma had to overcome being a foreign language film and that hurdle didn’t finally get successfully overcome until the next year when Parasite was able to defeat the British film 1917 (it’s being British was key to the difference in the two races imo).

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Only so far as Oscar odds for major success – of course King Richard could win best picture accompanying an acting Oscar just as GB did. It will have stronger reviews, too.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

I am puzzled: which other categories besides Best Actor is King Richard likely to be nominated in. In my opinion it will fall out of the top five in every other category it has even a tiny amount of viability in – it’s not getting nominated for Director, Cinematography, Film Editing, Sound, Costume Design, Score, Screenplay and I don’t believe that Ellis is going to get past the 8 or 9 stronger possible nominees in the Supporting Actress category. So you think it will get 2 nominations? Selma and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close are the only two films that have gotten only 2 nominations. And The Departed is the only film in decades to receive less than 6 nominations to win Best Picture (The Departed had only 5 nominations). (IDK if KR has an eligible Original Song? Enlighten me if it does but that still means only 3 nominations). Green Book won over older white male voters who pulled it over the finish line. Roma had to overcome being a foreign language film and that hurdle didn’t finally get successfully overcome until the next year when Parasite was able to defeat the British film 1917 (it’s being British was key to the difference in the two races imo).

</p>

Smith is in and probably winning. Considering the raves she’s getting Ellis is also in. Screenplay is a safe bet as well. If Green Book got in editing, guess what, King Richard can get in too. Older white people will eat this up. Also remember when Barry Jenkins, one of the most respected young directors in Hollywood, praised the hell out of this film and out of the director?

In the past years we have seen The Trial of The Chicago 7, Ford V Ferrari, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody and Hidden Figures get nominated. How the hell can’t people see that this film is just the same as these? Not to mention how beloved the Williams’ sisters are world wide(Serena was a presenter three years ago at The Oscars.) It is absolutely insane to bet against this film getting nominated at this point.

It’s going to get Picture-Actor-Supporting Actress-Screenplay-Editing-Song and it’s going to get in at PGA and SAG. End of story.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Also I’m not saying KR will win, I’m saying that out of everything that HAS BEEN REVIEWED BY CRITICS, it has the best chance to win.

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Just finished The Power of The Dog and while I do think it’s a great film overall, the ending was far too abrupt and out of nowhere. As far as Oscar chances goes, there is no way in hell this wins Best Picture and I have doubts about director and adapted screenplay as well. I really think this might go home empty-handed. I think it’s going to be treated the same way Phantom Thread was(although I did like that one far more than this.).

That ending is definitely not abrupt and out of nowhere. Everything that’s happening in the movie leads to that. Maybe watch it again and pay attention this time.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

DON’T SPOIL IT ASSHOLE

Fine, sorry about that. There’s no way to discuss the problems of the film without getting into spoilers though.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Before I read upwards, is it a spoiler about The Power of the Dog or some other movie?

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I think Netflix’s strongest lead Actress contender will be Olivia Colman.

My mind keeps blocking the fact that TLD is Netflix. Right. Colman it is, sorry the rest of the ladies.

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

Many of us haven’t seen that leaked version of TPOTD so please refrain yourself from posting any spoiler. That mateil user already ruined it for me…damn it

Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

The Netflix film “Blonde” about Marilyn Monroe is now set for 2022. Removing it from all categories in the predictions center.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Reminder. There’s a thread for The Power of the Dog.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.