Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 523 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Nope. TPOTD is clearly first but DLU is not second. I actually trust Erik since he often talks with studio reps.

I mean have people seen that horrible trailer?  I totally believe it’s not their second priority and star power doesn’t necessarily mean the movie is good. It’s obviously not getting into the acting categories and I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s snubbed in Screenplay too.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

If DLU sucks, Passing will be Netflix’s second nominee.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I mean have people seen that horrible trailer? I totally believe it’s not their second priority and star power doesn’t necessarily mean the movie is good. It’s obviously not getting into the acting categories and I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s snubbed in Screenplay too.

But it really obviously is, with DiCaprio.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

RIDERS OF JUSTICE:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Mads Mikkelsen)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Nicolas Bro)
    - Best International Feature

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Of course stans still can’t believe their king Leonardo ‘I only date under 25’ Dicaprio is not getting nominated for this. What’s new?

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Being the Ricardos feels like an announcement away from Amazon to being delayed to next year.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Official trailer for Spencer: 

https://youtu.be/WllZh9aekDg

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

“Good morning, and in case I don’t see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight.” —Truman Burbank, The Truman Show

Profile picture
    Vincent Figueroa
    Topics:

Official trailer for Spencer: https://youtu.be/WllZh9aekDg

Oh, for heaven’s sake . I hope a strong censorship in UK . . Quite possibly it may not end up being seen in cinemas in this country for obvious reasons .

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Being the Ricardos feels like an announcement away from Amazon to being delayed to next year.

Lingering TBDs never inspire confidence imho.

Apparent Oscar nonplayer The Tender Bar (that’s a small-scaled film that needed festival play despite the big nanes) took what I’d expected would be the Being the Ricardos slot in Amazon’s schedule. I had thought the Clooney project would get a Nov. play-off and Dec. would be all about Lucy & Desi. I’m sure TTB will get more play in theatres than A Hero, though, as both are heading to Prime Video around the same date. No 2021 theatrical release date yet announced for the Farhadi film, but we also don’t have a confirmed date or a studio website mention for Neon’s The Worst Person in the World. (It also got zero mention in a Vanity Fair profile of the awards campaigns of the studio published this month – very odd). That profile did mention Petite Maman but it’s also nowhere to be found on the Neon site. Yet another TBD, for now.

Flee is reportedly coming Dec. 3 but is still just “coming soon” on the Neon studio site. Might want to clarify that…

A24 still has no date up on its site for C’mon C’mon or Red Rocket, and now has posted Nov. 24 for The Humans and Dec. 25 for The Tragedy of Macbeth, whose half-owner Apple also does have a December date for its other late-year “contender” – Mahershala Ali’s film Swan Song that reportedly is going to get theatrical bookings around that time. FYI – Doesn’t seem Apple is going to offer a qualifying theatrical release for its Tom Hanks vehicle Finch, at least for now.

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

You guys are wild for thinking DLU isn’t 2nd priority for Netflix. Nearly 12 million trailer views in a week, star studded cast, Original story, Big Name Director with a fun/serious movie pretty much everyone can enjoy and the big budget behind it, Netflix spent those coins for a reason lol

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

It’s weird that Netflix in this event is not showing Don’t Look Up, is there’s something we don’t know about??

And also MGM seems to not care about House of Gucci or Licorice Pizza.

Those movies are not finished yet with post-production work like sound and visual effects still being done. Of course DLU, Gucci and Pizza are big priorities for their studios. Funny to see the haters getting excited about this though lol

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Nope. TPOTD is clearly first but DLU is not second. I actually trust Erik since he often talks with studio reps.

Erik also said Irishman was not a priority for Netflix in 2019 because it wasn’t sent to festivals. Even though the fact is that The Irishman was Netflix’s biggest priority considering that they held the most number of industry screenings for it and even spent a lot of money giving flight tickets and hotel rooms for pundits and other awards voters

Erik obviously has a blind spot here. He is talking about DLU now the same way he talked about Irishman in 2019. He is judging priority purely based on festival pushes when there are so many more important factors.

Being a priority is about FYC ads and arranging industry screenings and sending screeners on time and promoting a movie heavily so that enough industry people watch the movies. It is not just about film festivals which is a way for low profile movies to build buzz.

DLU got more trailer views in a day than TPOTD got in its lifetime. Netflix has already positioned it for a fantastic awards run by giving it their best Oscar date of Christmas, especially in a year where nominations voting is later than usual. Netflix is also spending a fortune promoting the movie, airing its teaser at the Olympics and also positioning it as the event movie of the year in all their marketing.

DLU will be Netflix’s #1 priority like Irishman. Thinking about awards pushes just in terms of film festivals is really simplistic and wrong.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

DLU is a priority in that Netflix has obvious awards expectations—but its pedigree + McKay’s track record make a full-blown campaign almost superfluous. We’ve been predicting it from the beginning, the only way it tanks is if it truly, really sucks. So yeah. Priority.

I’m just so HAPPY people are slotting in Passing because, YEAH, that story and that trailer and those 2 actors and the Sundance reviews = no-brainer for me. I thought that for The Lost Daughter too, but it turned out to be the more polarizing film (not The Power of the Dog). If people are energized just by the trailer….woah, the power they have 😀 I thought it would be either TLD or Passing, but the latter seems more likely because reviews DO exist (not even for the final edit) and they’re raves!

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Erik also said Irishman was not a priority for Netflix in 2019 because it wasn’t sent to festivals. Even though the fact is that The Irishman was Netflix’s biggest priority considering that they held the most number of industry screenings for it and even spent a lot of money giving flight tickets and hotel rooms for pundits and other awards voters

Erik obviously has a blind spot here. He is talking about DLU now the same way he talked about Irishman in 2019. He is judging priority purely based on festival pushes when there are so many more important factors.

Being a priority is about FYC ads and arranging industry screenings and sending screeners on time and promoting a movie heavily so that enough industry people watch the movies. It is not just about film festivals which is a way for low profile movies to build buzz.

DLU got more trailer views in a day than TPOTD got in its lifetime. Netflix has already positioned it for a fantastic awards run by giving it their best Oscar date of Christmas, especially in a year where nominations voting is later than usual. Netflix is also spending a fortune promoting the movie, airing its teaser at the Olympics and also positioning it as the event movie of the year in all their marketing.

DLU will be Netflix’s #1 priority like Irishman. Thinking about awards pushes just in terms of film festivals is really simplistic and wrong.

Are we really comparing it to the The Irishman tho’? That was Scorsese, De Niro, Al Pacino, Pesci and Keitel. Of course it didn’t need festivals.

I just think DLU will suck. If I’m wrong then I’m wrong. We’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Are we really comparing it to the The Irishman tho’? That was Scorsese, De Niro, Al Pacino, Pesci and Keitel. Of course it didn’t need festivals.

Sure why not? Are you forgetting how well Vice did without going to festivals? And Vice did not even have DiCaprio, Lawrence, Streep and Blanchett…

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Sure why not? Are you forgetting how well Vice did without going to festivals? And Vice did not even have DiCaprio, Lawrence, Streep and Blanchett…

I really doubt this will do as good as Vice in term of nominations especially with no GG this year. The only serious contender in Acting seems to be DiCaprio and he has a lot of competition. Looks like a low tier BP nominee that goes home empty handed considering that this is a much stronger year than 2018.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.