Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 511 through 523 (of 523 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

And also on Don’t Look Up. I know most people aren’t predicting it in acting categories and the people who are think Mark Rylance will be the supporting actor push. But hear me out, what if we have another Trial of the Chicago 7 situation and Jonah Hill pulls a Sacha Baron Cohen on Mark Rylance? Like what if the Academy goes for the more comedic performance instead of the more serious performance? Especially if Jonah Hill’s performance is more like his performance in his previous DiCarprio collab The Wolf of Wall Street which a got him a supporting actor nomination. Just food for thought.

As recently as last year hetero actor James Corden received backlash for hamming it up as a gay man, I’m guessing Hill won’t get a free pass either even in a more “prestige” project…

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

As recently as last year hetero actor James Corden received backlash for hamming it up as a gay man, I’m guessing Hill won’t get a free pass either even in a more “prestige” project…

I still don’t get why it matters that he is not gay. It’s called acting not reality TV.

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

I still don’t get why it matters that he is not gay. It’s called acting not reality TV.

It doesn’t as long as he’s not giving us some camp and gross stereotype.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Jonah Hill’s character being a gay man is mere speculation. It’s not mentioned in the script and I don’t think that’s the news from test screenings either. People are supposing that based on nothing.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Exhibitor Relations reports A24 will open C’mon C’mon on Nov. 19, five days before the studio’s announced release date for The Humans.

ER also reports A24’s Red Rocket will open on Dec. 3.

Still no official word posted by Neon for the release of Flee (reportedly Dec. 3), Petite Maman
    or The Worst Person in the World.

And Amazon’s still being cagey with the only potential contender that hasn’t yet released so much as an official “first look” photo: Being the Ricardos.

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

I hope I’m not the only one who liked that Spencer trailer.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Hold up. James Corden’s STRAIGHT?

Holy shit that makes so much more sense.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Yeah, i think Erik Anderson is wrong this time around. You don’t put together that type of cast (especially with DiCaprio, Lawrence, Blanchett, and Streep in it) with a filmmaker who right now is loved by AMPAS, with that subject matter (political satire about climate change/COVID, etc..) without pushing it among your priorities. It’s ridiculous to me.

It does seem ridiculous but Erik Anderson was right about a few things regarding Netflix in the past so we do have to keep that in mind. Plus outside BP and Screenplay, DLU has a zero chance to win anything above the line.

You could always tell that POTD would be their #1 based on the festival run though.

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Plus outside BP and Screenplay, DLU has a zero chance to win anything above the line. You could always tell that POTD would be their #1 based on the festival run though.

Well it’s their number 1 because they need to build an audience with TPOTD. They don’t have to do that with Don’t Look Up. I’m not sure what above the line vs below the line is, but you don’t think outside of Picture and Screenplay  it can win Director,  Editing, Production Design, or Score? I’m with you on none of the actors winning for this, but I feel it can get way more wins than just Picture and/ or Screenplay.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

It does seem ridiculous but Erik Anderson was right about a few things regarding Netflix in the past so we do have to keep that in mind. Plus outside BP and Screenplay, DLU has a zero chance to win anything above the line. You could always tell that POTD would be their #1 based on the festival run though.

Marriage Story had a similar festival run but it wasn’t Netflix’s number 1 priority. So….

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Marriage Story had a similar festival run but it wasn’t Netflix’s number 1 priority. So….

But The Irishman played NYFF. Yes even the Martin Scorsese film played at a festival.

I still think DLU is a priority, I just don’t get why people think Marriage Story and Roma are SUCH PERFECT analogs for TPOTD and it will follow the same path as either. It’s a sample size of two years! The third year Netflix didn’t send anything to a festival. It’s so silly to be constantly expecting one film to follow an almost identical trajectory to another film based off of……a sample size of 2 wildly different films?

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Leo can do no wrong. DLU will be nominated for BP and more. Some people will not like it, like all Mackay movies. I am not sure I will 100% like it, but judging by the leaked script there will be some funny and very watchable scenes. Whether it will win awards, that’s another story and I can’t say.

Yeah, I can’t believe people still deny it, it’s soooo obvious. I don’t think it will win anything but Leonardo DiCaprio is the most reliable actor in terms of choosing projects that will get him and the film nominated right now. But I guess some people just don’t like him and thus delude themselves into thinking he won’t make it. Worked out pretty well for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, didn’t it?

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

RIDERS OF JUSTICE:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Mads Mikkelsen)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Nicolas Bro)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

But The Irishman played NYFF. Yes even the Martin Scorsese film played at a festival.

I still think DLU is a priority, I just don’t get why people think Marriage Story and Roma are SUCH PERFECT analogs for TPOTD and it will follow the same path as either. It’s a sample size of two years! The third year Netflix didn’t send anything to a festival. It’s so silly to be constantly expecting one film to follow an almost identical trajectory to another film based off of……a sample size of 2 wildly different films?

Netflix’s top priority will invariably be the film it thinks can take the marquee prize – Best Picture. We and it will have to see how things shake out leading up to that decision.

Viewing 13 posts - 511 through 523 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.