Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 523 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

But I said in the beginning I just wish he hadn’t said it whilst leading up to the release of Dune—and then it went fucking viral, so why man why piss off MCU stans, there’s just so many of them.

Agreed. Why did he say this when also a portion of the cast is in superhero films from the MCU and DECU as well? Maybe bad press is good press at the end of the day.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Eh, MCU fans who wanted to watch Dune will watch it. Those who didn’t, won’t whether he praised or criticized MCU. Those statements don’t move the needle because they have an impact only to a very rabid and loud niche. general audience doesn’t know and doesn’t care. The movie is doing very well in Europe atm and there are MCU fans there too. Impact: zero.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

People who can’t handle opinions from filmmakers about certain movies are children and a tiny minority. Most people won’t even know about Villeneuve’s comments and most of those who know won’t even care. This makes no difference whatsoever.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Official Discussion – Dune (International Release) [SPOILERS] from movies

Here’s the Dune thread on Reddit for the International Release. Lots of reviews there. Not overwhelming positive reviews (people complaining about the movie being frustating and lacking emotion), which is worrying because this is basically the demographic I imagined the movie would be unanimity

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Eh, MCU fans who wanted to watch Dune will watch it. Those who didn’t, won’t whether he praised or criticized MCU. Those statements don’t move the needle because they have an impact only to a very rabid and loud niche. general audience doesn’t know and doesn’t care. The movie is doing very well in Europe atm and there are MCU fans there too. Impact: zero.

I literally had written a post about how eh, it’s fine, most people aren’t on Twitter and probably don’t care anyway but that wasn’t actually my point. Somehow that post has disappeared…

It’s not just about box office or auteurship or whatever. I just don’t understand why one would have to inflame that section of very online MCU fans. He’s… probably like the 30th director to say something like this, it always causes something of a dust-up, and for him especially he has a movie coming out and I just don’t understand why he would do PR like this, because it spreads from Twitter to headlines in publications and then Reddit and…….ugh, of course it won’t prevent people from going but my point was totally different: there is zero utility to him saying this right now. ZERO. We’re literally all agreed it won’t affect box office, but lol you just jumped down my throat about the fact that maybe just maybe it’s not a good idea regardless.

Why? Not for box office reasons but because the very-online folx who do know get VERY salty and then they go hard on dunking on Dune when they wouldn’t bothered before. I’m not saying that has an impact on OSCARS or whatever, it’s just not SMART! I’m sorry, it is is just not.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Maybe bad press is good press at the end of the day.

lol thank you for being the only one to actually address what I said directly

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Here’s the Dune thread on Reddit for the International Release. Lots of reviews there. Not overwhelming positive reviews (people complaining about the movie being frustating and lacking emotion), which is worrying because this is basically the demographic I imagined the movie would be unanimity

Funny thing about this is that this is basically the negative reactions we got from festival audiences as well. So…why Denis felt the need to double down on his “auteur-ness” when that’s precisely the problem (it’s “TOO auteur-y, TOO slow”—I don’t know how I feel bc I haven’t watched the film I’m just saying other people said this a lot).

I love him to bits but it’s a dumbass move for PR. It just is.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

A Villeneuve movie that it’s “too auteur-y, too slow”,ehm… I’ll probably love it… 😅

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

A Villeneuve movie that it’s “too auteur-y, too slow”,ehm… I’ll probably love it… 😅

Me too lol. I just hope it’s both those things and a substantial intellectual achievement.

FYC:

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/pprhvt/official_discussion_dune_international_release/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share Here’s the Dune thread on Reddit for the International Release. Lots of reviews there. Not overwhelming positive reviews (people complaining about the movie being frustating and lacking emotion), which is worrying because this is basically the demographic I imagined the movie would be unanimity

An audience having criticisms for a movie is not worrying to me, the reception is pretty obviously positive, whether on reddit, Letterboxd, or various regional imdb knockoffs.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Oh c’mon you can enjoy Marvel movies and still admit they’re all mostly the same thing. There’s nothing elitist about that. Elitism is saying these movies don’t have a right to exist, which I don’t see anybody doing.

Hey I was mystified by who the post was meant for, because even most hardcore cinephiles I know would say exactly what you said, so clearly the target was some REALLY EXTREME PERSON (a complete elitist) that…hates every single franchise film and never watches a single one? I don’t know anybody like that.

Also, it’s just kinda weird to blame any GD user for not strenuously arguing that Eternals should win BP. Regardless of our opinion, AMPAS still hasn’t embraced MCU films with the exception of Black Panther so…….of course we’re not predicting them on a predictions website lol

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I agree with you but still the idea that these contenders all have their weakness sounds so depressing lol.

Don’t all contenders every year all have their weaknesses?

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Fall Film Festival Metacritic Scores updated:

Petite Maman: 94
    The Power of the Dog: 92
    The Rescue: 92
    Memoria: 89
    Flee: 89
    The Velvet Underground: 89
    Drive My Car: 89
    The Lost Daughter: 88
    The Worst Person in the World: 88
    Spencer: 85
    Parallel Mothers: 85
    C’mon C’mon: 84
    Ali & Ava: 84
    The French Dispatch: 82
    The Duke: 81
    Happening: 81
    The Card Counter: 79
    Marcel the Shell with Shoes On: 79
    7 Prisoners: 79
    Jockey: 79
    Bergman Island: 79
    Red Rocket: 78
    A Hero: 78
    King Richard: 77
    Compartment No. 6: 76
    Sundown: 76
    Titane: 76
    Dune: 75
    The Hand of God: 75
    Benediction: 75
    Belfast: 75
    Cyrano: 75
    I’m Your Man: 75
    Ahed’s Knee: 74
    The Mad Women’s Ball: 73
    Il Buco: 72
    Mothering Sunday: 69
    The Forgiven: 68
    Last Night in Soho: 67
    Julia: 67
    The Guilty: 66
    Encounter: 62
    The Last Duel: 61
    The Electrical Life of Louis Wain: 57
    The Eyes of Tammy Faye: 53
    France: 51
    Halloween Kills: 47
    Dashcam: 45
    Dear Evan Hansen: 41
    The Story of My Wife: 40
    Lakewood: 35
    The Starling: 33

FYC:

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

There’s no way NA is winning 3 acting categories pls

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Hear me out: TPOTD’s score isn’t that good actually.

No, really. It’s very pretty, and Jonny Greenwood is the GOAT (Radiohead is…yeah my fave band of all time). But it’s just not very well-timed for the emotional highs and lows. Some of the best scenes had no score, and I know they were meant to be needle-drop scenes without scores, but it’s such an accessible film, I almost would’ve preferred an approach closer to The Hours (one of my favorite scores of all time), but less sentimental because TPOTD isn’t as sentimental (but it IS, or one character is)

I almost feel like there’s…nothing in the most tender moments of the film, and there’s quite a few tender moments, but they’re rarely highlighted by the score imo. It’s not the writing, it’s the score 😐

E.g.:
    – BH-scarf-scene
    – The very end of Governor-visit-scene is v important but I bet you don’t even remember it
    – Rose-Peter-star-scene

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.