Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 523 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Stefania
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think it’s possible. Maybe not a Reinsve nod but I think the film could become the International feature frontrunner if it places at TIFF tomorrow.

Yeah if it places, totally. I haven’t seen The Hand of God and I suspect it might not be for me and totally believe that The Worst Person in the World is a better film, but the Grand Jury prize and that MC score bode pretty well for it!

As an aside, I’m not sure Il buco will even be submitted, despite the fact that it could be submitted by three countries (Italy, France, Germany). Germany’s already selected I’m Your Man, Italy has The Hand of God, Qui rido io, and France has Happening, Petite Maman, & Titane.

Happening will probably happen and omg what if Happening happens all the way to BP because I can totally see that happening

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

DUNE has only released in a few Asian and European countries (including mine) for 2 days, yet it already got 8.6 with 12,000 votes on IMDb lmao. That’s normally a film would get after first weekend of US release and that rating doesn’t even match the reactions I read from general audience who have actually seen it, either. The number of DUNE stans is astonishing.

This is shaping up to become ASIB 2.0: good but overhyped by fans online, and eventually underperform when Oscars noms are revealed.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

This is my assumption, but those are probably Zendaya and Timmy stans who happens to like the movie. IMDB are full of fanboys/fangirls.

That being said, Dune seems to go to the trajectory it supposed to go into. Big technical players and few above the line nominations.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

This is my assumption, but those are probably Zendaya and Timmy stans who happens to like the movie. IMDB are full of fanboys/fangirls.

That being said, Dune seems to go to the trajectory it supposed to go into. Big technical players and few above the line nominations.

I’m seeing BP + techs. Don’t take Adapted Screenplay for granted, the writer’s branch are absolute nerds lol, they’ll be harsher than almost anyone on the writing. Director…mmm no, not yet anyway.

Also, a bunch of directors are flipping the bird to Denis right now, which can’t…..help him with…..directors lol. He made an okay but reductive comment at a terrible time, and like I said it’s incredibly stupid of him. If people on here (not calling you out, Elsa, other people) wanna just brush that off as a “pfffft people don’t care”, sure. For B.O. Dune is fine, for awards Denis did his film a huge disservice.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I think Denis will get his Director nod after all. There are probably more directors in the Academy who agree than disagree with what he said about the MCU.

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

Wait… What did Denis say? I’m a bit late to this discussion, sorry

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Wait… What did Denis say? I’m a bit late to this discussion, sorry

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/denis-villeneuve-marvel-movies-zombies-1234665235/

🧟‍♀️ 🧟

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

DUNE has only released in a few Asian and European countries (including mine) for 2 days, yet it already got 8.6 with 12,000 votes on IMDb lmao. That’s normally a film would get after first weekend of US release and that rating doesn’t even match the reactions I read from general audience who have actually seen it, either. The number of DUNE stans is astonishing. This is shaping up to become ASIB 2.0: good but overhyped by fans online, and eventually underperform when Oscars noms are revealed.

Well IMDB is a fanboy site, you can count on every rating for a popular movie to be inflated. It’s doing well in Europe though, with the best opening day of the pandemic in several countries, 12k is really not particularly high for a big movie. It has 20k logged views in Letterboxd (up from 4k since it opened in Europe), and a respectable 4.2 average rating, up from 3.9 from the festivals (TPOTD has meanwhile increased to 2.6k logged views after leaking online, with a 3.7 average rating, which is up from 3.5 I believe).

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

The zombie part is a bit exaggerated, but other than that Villeneuve has valid points. Chloe Zao and Taika Waititi gets to add their own flair to the MCU because it doesnt go against Feige’s demand.

His point was evident when Edgar Wright stepped down from Ant Man because his visions and flair doesnt work with/went against what Feige wants (Wright wated a full standalone movie without cameos and tie ins).

Some fanatic marvel fan suddenly bash him back and saying that Denis only did that to promote Dune, said that Denis is jealous, etc etc.

Denis will be fine, its not like he made racist or homophobic or xenophobic statements. or defending particular sex offender

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Well IMDB is a fanboy site, you can count on every rating for a popular movie to be inflated. It’s doing well in Europe though, with the best opening day of the pandemic in several countries, 12k is really not particularly high for a big movie. It has 20k logged views in Letterboxd (up from 4k since it opened in Europe), and a respectable 4.2 average rating, up from 3.9 from the festivals (TPOTD has meanwhile increased to 2.6k logged views after leaking online, with a 3.7 average rating, which is up from 3.5 I believe).

12K on IMDb for a movie only released in 6 European countries for 2 days is “not particularly high”? I’m pretty sure you are a big stan lol.

Local reactions online in my country are mostly mixed, just like what it got from early critics.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

12K on IMDb for a movie only released in a few European countries for 2 days is “not particularly high”? I’m pretty sure you are a big stan lol. Local reactions online in my country are mostly mixed, just like what it got from early critics.

It’s on track for a 35 million dollar weekend, it sold quite a bit more than 12k tickets. I have no clue what country you’re from, but on AlloCiné for example (French imdb/RT like site) it has a 4 from critics and 4.4 from viewers. I guess Dune stans also infiltrated France, and France critic circles. Our power is unmatched!

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

In Italy everybody wants to see Dune, but cinemas are at 50% capacity and you need proof of vaccination or negative PCR test to go. I’m going on Monday, I just booked my tickets! 😚

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

Late September Predictions:

Best Picture:
    1: The Power of the Dog (Netflix)
    2: Belfast (Focus Features)
    3: Nightmare Alley (Searchlight Pictures)
    4: Dune (Warner Bros)
    5: Don’t Look Up (Netflix)
    6: Licorice Pizza (MGM)
    7: King Richard (Warner Bros)
    8: West Side Story (20th Century Studios)
    9: Spencer (NEON)
    10: The Humans (A24)

(The month I said bye bye to Edgar Wright and Ridley Scott)

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

Late September Predictions:

Best Director:
    1: Jane Campion – The Power of the Dog
    2: Guillermo del Toro – Nightmare Alley
    3: Denis Villeneuve – Dune
    4: Paul Thomas Anderson – Licorice Pizza
    5: Julia Ducournau – Titane (NGNG)

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

MCU Fanatic Stans started reviewbombing Dune  on LB

LMAO

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.