Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Alessandro_Leri
  • Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Yeah, I’m sure it’s going to be good, but there’s no way post-Boogie Nights PTA has made something with more mass appeal than anything directed by Quentin Tarantino. LP is probably going to be as offbeat as anything he’s done. That being said, focusing in like this on the word “accessible” is pedantic as hell. It’s a perfectly appropriate word to use when describing a film (or any work of art) that’s easy to enjoy or comprehend, and overall enjoyability and comprehensibility are always going to be major factors when discussing awards potential.

Exactly. Some here are just out of arguments for their negative narrative and start picking on the overuse of some words that are totally valid and appropriate.

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Yeah, I’m sure it’s going to be good, but there’s no way post-Boogie Nights PTA has made something with more mass appeal than anything directed by Quentin Tarantino. LP is probably going to be as offbeat as anything he’s done. That being said, focusing in like this on the word “accessible” is pedantic as hell. It’s a perfectly appropriate word to use when describing a film (or any work of art) that’s easy to enjoy or comprehend, and overall enjoyability and comprehensibility are always going to be major factors when discussing awards potential.

I don’t mind the word per se lol and yes I agree accessibility is important but people are way too focused on it especially when the Academy has proven many times that they responded well to movies that weren’t deemed ‘accessible’ or Oscar friendly.

Profile picture
    Grand Sprites
    Topics:

I don’t mind the word per se lol and yes I agree accessibility is important but some people are way too focused on it especially when the Academy has proven many times that they responded well to some movies that weren’t deemed ‘accessible’ or Oscar friendly.

That’s fair enough. It’s far from the only factor to consider. If it was, La La Land and The Trial of the Chicago 7 both would have probably won. Still, Green Book was only 2 1/2 years ago.

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

PTA Stans will say:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Really loved the Licorice Pizza trailer honestly. Big moooooood for me, except for Bradley Cooper — wtf is he doing lol, why is he there??

I mean……lol I think this should be better than Belfast and having this similar coming-of-age formula, PTA will do that better and that’s just gotta help. If it weren’t for the fact that a coming of age cROwdPleAsEr is the Oscar frontrunner I’d probably say yeah mmkay, I’ll love it but I dunno about its prospects. But Belfast is there! It’s not hard to see Licorice Pizza be really good by the same terms so many of you have set out for the supposed frontrunner: “cROwdPleAsEr” / “accessible”

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Really loved the Licorice Pizza trailer honestly. Big moooooood for me, except for Bradley Cooper — wtf is he doing lol, why is he there??

I mean……lol I think this should be better than Belfast and having this similar coming-of-age formula, PTA will do that better and that’s just gotta help. If it weren’t for the fact that a coming of age cROwdPleAsEr is the Oscar frontrunner I’d probably say yeah mmkay, I’ll love it but I dunno about its prospects. But Belfast is there! It’s not hard to see Licorice Pizza be really good by the same terms so many of you have set out for the supposed frontrunner: “cROwdPleAsEr” / “accessible”

I agree

Profile picture
    Alessandro Leri
    Topics:

It’s going to be Jane Campion vs Joel Coen for director and Belfast vs The Tragedy of Macbeth for picture. I think Campion and Belfast are the front runners in their categories respectively.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion: Del Toro it’s more likely to win than Campion

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

PTA Stans will say:

Not a PTA stan but I think it definitely can be top-tier in its genre.

It looks like an original screenplay winner already. I don’t see it win BP & BD, though.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Alessandro Leri
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion: Del Toro it’s more likely to win than Campion

What? 😂 Del Toro is coming up with a very dark material, there’s nothing Oscar baity in Nightmare Alley but I see it to be the front runner in cinematography and production design. Plus Del Toro won director just 3 years ago.
    Here the points for Campion : she is doing her coming back after 12 years, she has an overdue story in directing, she made the most critical acclaimed movie of the year (with Coen’s one) and academy would love to reward a woman again. She’s easily going to win director.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

What? 😂 Del Toro is coming up with a very dark material, there’s nothing Oscar baity in Nightmare Alley but I see it to be the front runner in cinematography and production design. Plus Del Toro won director just 3 years ago.
    Here the points for Campion : she is doing her coming back after 12 years, she has an overdue story in directing, she made the most critical acclaimed movie of the year (with Coen’s one) and academy would love to reward a woman again. She’s easily going to win director.

Cuaron and Innaritu won their second directing Oscars in close succession. But I don’t think that Del Toro or Campion, for that matter, is a lock, especially for a Netflix film. Branaugh or Coen can easily topple her imo.

Profile picture
    Alessandro Leri
    Topics:

Cuaron and Innaritu won their second directing Oscars in close succession. But I don’t think that Del Toro or Campion, for that matter, is a lock, especially for a Netflix film. Branaugh or Coen can easily topple her imo.

Coen’s movie is distributed by a streaming company as The Power of the Dog is. One is Apple, the other is Netflix. It changes nothing.
    Anyway I’m sure Del Toro is not even going to get nominated even tough Nightmare alley might be a very good movie and I do believe it is going to be nominated in all the technical categories and it is the front runner for cinematography and design. I predict those nominees for director
    1) Campion
    2) Coen
    3) Branagh
    4) Sorrentino
    5) McKay/Villeneuve

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Predicted Best Picture & Director Lineup: Late September

Picture: Belfast, The Power of The Dog, Nightmare Alley, The French Dispatch, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Licorice Pizza, Dune, House of Gucci, Spencer, West Side Story

Directing: Jane Campion, Denis Villeneuve, Kenneth Branagh, Joel Coen, Asghar Farhadi

If you need anything ask Caroleanne

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Late September predix:

1. The Power of the Dog
    2. Dune
    3. Nightmare Alley
    4. King Richard
    5. Passing
    6. Licorice Pizza
    7. Belfast
    8. The Lost Daughter
    9. Spencer
    10. Don’t Look Up

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I don’t mind the word per se lol and yes I agree accessibility is important but people are way too focused on it especially when the Academy has proven many times that they responded well to movies that weren’t deemed ‘accessible’ or Oscar friendly.

It’s actually more than a little bizarre because the Oscars are low-key KNOWN for choosing “high-brow” dramas that aren’t super popular lol. Like historically, that’s the reputation it’s had! That’s just…true! The preferential ballot changed things but I wouldn’t say accessibility had much to do with the winners, I’d say “high-brow”/”elite” are the better words to describe most BP winners and nominees. Note that I’m not necessarily using the words positively.

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.