Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Alessandro_Leri
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’m not totally convinced of Macbeth still. I have a hard time not seeing it as inaccessible and arthouse. Am I missing something

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

It’s got acclaim (I think it will maintain an 85+ on Metacritic from here on out) and it has DENZEL and FRANCES MCDORMAND. These are some of the most beloved figures in the industry today and the fact that the film has acclaim seems that it’ll probably be like Mank in the sense that it has a lot of respect from people in the industry without major passion (since it seems a little left of wide accessibility, though I may be wrong). Denzel is locked for a nom too, I think.

Yeah, I think especially in a field of 10 it should be fairly secure.

Profile picture
    kingfan011
    Topics:

You guys need to take out Licorice Pizza. The film looks like a lot of fun but in no way is it a best picture player.

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

I’m not totally convinced of Macbeth still. I have a hard time not seeing it as inaccessible and arthouse. Am I missing something

I heard people saying it’s as accessible as this type of a movie can be.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I feel like there’s some really super duper locked nods (like Denzel in particular) and I really REALLY want to watch this, and holy damn I can’t believe I’m making this argument that I often hate: but damn this would be such an outré pick for the Academy wouldn’t it?

All the reviews spend so much time picking the richness of the material—it’s reminiscent of Bergman, The Man Who Wasn’t There, Caligari, Kurosawa, Dreyer, German expressionist cinema, “Escher-like weirdness”—that I feel like the feat is making a film that is pitched somewhere between a film and a stage adaptation. It sounds a little…like Dogville? Except perhaps a little colder? I feel like the most emotional part of this is realizing the toll on Macbeth/Denzel?

I also feel like the actor getting the MOST acclaim is Kathryn Hunter (the witches). She would be a VERY modern choice for today’s Academy that knows it criminally snubbed Andy Serkis. No? Kathryn Hunter seems like a REALLY EXCITING nomination!!!

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Maybe? Not inaccessible, just a little…cold perhaps. There’s pathos in Denzel’s Macbeth and the witches are apparently AWESOME, and it’s a thriller. I am just as ambivalent as you, but again—I dunno if I should condescend by calling it too arthouse-y. I think the better thing is: it shares similarities to the Coen Bros films that didn’t get into the Oscars… except maybe A Serious Man.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

I don’t see Macbeth as a threat for Picture but Coen may be very competitive for Director.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t see Macbeth as a threat for Picture but Coel may be very competitive for Director.

As she should!

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

You guys need to take out Licorice Pizza. The film looks like a lot of fun but in no way is it a best picture player.

I keep thinking the same thing. I’m just waiting on the reviews to confirm it before I drop it.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

As she should!

hahaha Michaela 😍

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I think The Tragedy of Macbeth will get a BP nominee spot.

Nightmare Alley instead didn’t convince me from the teaser. Not that it can’t be good, but maybe it’s more like Crimson Peak, which means something not necessarily Oscar worthy according to voters.

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

I don’t understand all the confidence in House of Gucci I’m seeing.

and i don’t understand the “a hero” situation

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Macbeth is down to 89. Really curious at what score it will eventually settle.

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

but i think it could be something like this:
    belfast
    power of the dog
    king richard
    CODA
    a hero
    spencer
    the lost daughter
    west side story
    licorice pizza
    dune

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

I really don’t get why people are still hanging on to West Side Story. Just put it to rest.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.