Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 509 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Alessandro_Leri
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Showtime is a cable TV channel. It’s different from PVOD, HBO Max, etc. I think it will end up being eligible anyway.

It’s a good strategy, it’s eligible if it ALSO has a theatrical release (real or planned). I don’t think eligibility should be an issue, A24 works with different streamers, I’m guessing because they do realize that having that option makes their small films a lot more visible.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Showtime is owned by Viacom so it’s really weird they didn’t go with the Paramount+ option. The release on a cable network makes the whole thing looks confusing and even risky imo.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Showtime is a cable TV channel. It’s different from PVOD, HBO Max, etc. I think it will end up being eligible anyway.

The eligibility rule isn’t just for digital medias. Television films are allowed to compete.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Anyway, Matt Neglia confirmed The Humans is indeed going to compete at the Oscars.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Anyway, Matt Neglia confirmed The Humans is indeed going to compete at the Oscars.

Wasn’t he the one who started the uproar that the film won’t be eligible at the Oscars. He is one of the most unreliable mainstream pundits I swear.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Oh, good because I was mad. Man Matt Neglia is consistently terrible I can’t stand him.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

If Belfast is truly a BP contender then of course Balfe can win Supporting. Lead, I’d be much more skeptical.

I think she’d get in to either category but honestly it’s just not the kind of role/performance that’s awarded frequently anymore. The role is a cloying, simple stereotype (put-upon wife & mother who does the heavy lifting in the family), Balfe takes that and makes you root for her, elevating the story but there’s only so much anyone can do obviously. It’s like Claire Foy in First Man: if it had been a shoo-in for BP she would’ve gotten in but I highly doubt she would’ve won. It’s a “type” that’s just rare & old-fashioned now: Balfe is very charming!

JLaw arguably swept with her undeniable charm & personality but the role was just edgy enough and JLaw was a PHENOM in those days as we all know.

There’s a lot of very unique characters and roles in play this year (even Spencer has a version of Diana that is pretty unique). I don’t get how she’d sail to a win anywhere but a nod she’ll get. I think Dornan could maybe win because supporting actor is a mess; Balfe has too much competition in either category.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Oh, good because I was mad. Man Matt Neglia is consistently terrible I can’t stand him.

Yeah ignoring much of “Oscar Twitter” is a good way to live – they have minimal bearing on setting the tone of the irl race, and often make assessments/pronouncements without fully confirming the information, and then the corrections get missed easily so the misinformation keeps spreading. In forums on GD, the more-contained aspects of the platform help avoid many pitfalls.

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

The Dallas International Film Festival’s selections this year include

Belfast
    C’mon C’mon
    The French Dispatch
    The Humans
    Jockey

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I see no reason why The Lost Daughter can’t be a Picture and Director contender. It has acclaim and it has a good release date.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Eternals is premiering at Rome International Film Festival. Marvel doesnt usually put them on festivals because how soon they are and spoilers. But. Rome Festival is from 14th-24th and world premier of Eternals is on 18th so that makes sense. The movie releases in November 5th.

Btw, Rome is also called the Eternal City.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/Eternalsnews/status/1443421726071828481?s=19

Eternals is premiering at Rome International Film Festival. Marvel doesnt usually put them on festivals because how soon they are and spoilers. But. Rome Festival is from 14th-24th and world premier of Eternals is on 18th so that makes sense. The movie releases in November 5th.

Btw, Rome is also called the Eternal City.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

I see no reason why The Lost Daughter can’t be a Picture and Director contender. It has acclaim and it has a good release date.

The subject matter is too “radical” for The AMPAS’ taste, but I think that’s what intrigues me personally, and it would not be stupid to bet that a portion of the voters will love the film because of that reason.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

It will need passion from the female and newer membership. Ed Harris admitted he didn’t get it when he read the script until his wife told him it was great. I don’t think he’s alone among the older males voters in AMPAS. Wouldn’t count it out though! The cast is huge and Gyllenhaal has been in the business for quite a while and is known and connected.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way Dear Evan Hansen dropped out of this event because it’s trash 💀💀💀

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.