Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
crabbie
Alessandro_Leri
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think The Tragedy of Macbeth will get a BP nominee spot.

Nightmare Alley instead didn’t convince me from the teaser. Not that it can’t be good, but maybe it’s more like Crimson Peak, which means something not necessarily BP nominee worthy according to voters.

Yeah it could… I think there’s plenty of competition though from films that really DO connect with people. If I think of possibly the most polarizing film we’ve seen thus far, I think that’s…are those Spencer or The Lost Daughter? One of them, but both will have a big pocket of passion. So there’s a LOT of films I see as having sufficient passion to be BP players, and I am…not sure I see The Tragedy of Macbeth is being LIKE that, so I dunno. But hey! AMPAS is changing—and they increasingly are more open to edgy films, but I feel like the trend is for films that still have a deep emotional core.

Like, Bergman’s Persona may get in today, but I doubt The Seventh Seal would get in lol.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

I really don’t get why people are still hanging on to West Side Story. Just put it to rest.

why not? Almost all of Spielberg’s latest films were nominated to best picture except for the ones that are like tintin or indiana jones

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

why not? Almost all of Spielberg’s latest films were nominated to best picture except for the ones that are like tintin or indiana jones

I don’t see any excitement for it and it will get a lot of backlash because of Ansel Elgort. AMPAS might just decide to not touch it even if it’s Spielberg.

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

also CODA and west side story seem likely SAG best ensamble nominees. And with 10 Oscar nominees this year instead of 8, it’s hard for SAG nominees to be left out

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

West Side Story ship was mostly helmed by being a crowdpleaser populist film. Now we have Belfast, King Richard, Licorice Pizza, Don’t Look Up, and even House of Gucci to fit that mold. It’s hard to see what exactly is so compelling for Academy members to nominate West Side Story over more original crowdpleasing work.

West Side Story doesn’t even have the all star cast to be completely supported by the acting branch. The Post had Meryl. Bridge of Spies had Hanks, Oscar winner Rylance, and Alan Alda. Lincoln had Oscar winner DDL, Sally Field, and Tommy Lee Jones. West Side Story has controversial Ansel Elgort and an unknown Rachel Zelger.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think we might be underestimating The Hand of God. It won the Grand Jury for crying out loud. The only film that could possibly displace it is the Golden Lion winner, Happening, but to the best of my knowledge it hasn’t gotten a US distributor yet? The Worst Person in the World didn’t pick up steam.

Also: Flee.

I have to say: I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish Petite Maman seemed stronger and could get into BP because I like even more than TPOTD: both are just ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECES but Petite Maman is better! God, it’s so bloody good. If Petite Maman was an English-language film, nothing else would’ve stood a chance imo.

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

also CODA and west side story seem likely SAG best ensamble nominees. And with 10 Oscar nominees this year instead of 8, it’s hard for SAG nominees to be left out

Sorry but I think the CODA ship has also sailed.

FYC:

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

if france choose titane as their best international submition then the happening has no chance for a nomination for best picture?

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

if france choose titane as their best international submition then the happening has no chance for a nomination for best picture?

Best Picture was never happening for Happening, unless you meant International Feature. But at this point, with the shifting theatrical release date, I’d be surprised if they didn’t choose Happening (and I’d be surprised if they chose Titane on its own accord).

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

CODA is getting as many Oscar nominations as me this year.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

RIDERS OF JUSTICE:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Mads Mikkelsen)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Nicolas Bro)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

well the movie is in the seven place in the feinberg prediction for best picture three days ago so i think the movie is no in trouble for a best picture nomination fot the moment. A director nom and a DGA nom is what i see very unlikely

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Why would they do that when they have Petite Maman and Happening and both are more accessible and just as critically-acclaimed?

They might though. Titane is awesome.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Best Picture was never happening for Happening, unless you meant International Feature. But at this point, with the shifting theatrical release date, I’d be surprised if they didn’t choose Happening (and I’d be surprised if they chose Titane on its own accord).

Why not re: BP for Happening? I mean… it’s got the praise, it won the Golden Lion, all it needs is the plum release in the US.

I mean it’s a hypothetical also, bc again it doesn’t have a US distributor yet. But if it did…I could see that displacing The Hand of God because it’s apparently just THAT good.

FYC:

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

i only thought happening has chances because with 10 nominations in best pictures the frontrunners on best international or best animated had a stronger chance to a nomination for best picture. But according to feinberg the movie frontrunner of best international with very stong chance for nomination for best picture is the irani film a hero. I have no idea what opinion others here  have about that

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

well the movie is in the seven place in the feinberg prediction for best picture three days ago so i think the movie is no in trouble for a best picture nomination fot the moment. A director nom and a DGA nom is what i see very unlikely

I dunno, it’s a genre thing, not so much a quality thing. I can’t imagine a graphic body horror film that’s also an international film getting into BP :/ I can see it getting Best International Feature maybe but…BP? That would be—well, I need to see a good argument for that at least, which Feinberg does not provide.

A Hero just isn’t acclaimed enough. If only it was.

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.