Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 509 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

This is the closest they come to saying it’s not that good lol

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

LOL, gotta give it to Ruimy for that stinker callout. At least he didn’t tapdance but went for the juggular.

The guy who leaked the movie on reddit several months ago said in AMA that it sucked. But that was one person’s opinion. Now it seems there’s more of it but people being afraid to voice it lol. Hilarious. lets see what happens ha ha.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

LOL mental gymnastics already started:

Translation: after weighing in on what I could lose if I didn’t like the movie I decided that I liked it.

😀

Profile picture
    mporter455
    Topics:

Real reviews aren’t even out and y’all are already declaring Eternals DOA. lol

At least wait until the real reviews, and not just a bunch of vague tweets, come out…

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

“Mixed baggy” – that’s Hollywood-junket Twitterspeak for “a real dog”

I like the junket twitter folk masking their disappointment and dislike in mealy mouthed comments like “it’s the most different MCU film yet” – code for “It didn’t work.”

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Real reviews aren’t even out and y’all are already declaring Eternals DOA. lol At least wait until the real reviews, and not just a bunch of vague tweets, come out…

Nobody is declaring Eternals DOA. quite the opposite. We are saying a number of people, especially pundits, clearly didn’t like it but won’t dare to be honest in reviews. So we expect the usual MCU circle jerk when embargo lifts.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

From John Campea: Eternals, most beautiful and unique MCU film, i have the feeling is going to be boring like most MCU films with beautiful visuals and that’s all.

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

For me Chloe Zhao is one of those top-tier directors. Imagine if her first flop is a film I have no idea why she had to make.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I guess pundits and critics are actually scared of Marvel lmao

They are all pundits and you can always more or less by seeing WHO RESPECTS THE EMBARGO lol. They’ll change their tune if critics like it a lot more, it’s just the way it is! *shrug*

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

But for real: too much exposition — THAT is what I’m taking away as perhaps the most important because critics are savage about too much exposition, so FWIW there’s something useful in all this nonsensery about Eternals. Also…like…pundits want to feel validated by critics! When their initial tweets don’t match up to reviews (TPOTD) they subtly shift their takes, but when they do, they LOVE it. In a way these takes are also “predicting” what they think critics will say.

Hey, so Nicole Kidman DOESN’T look like Lucille Ball (or sound like her), the small image of her in the show looks tame because Lucy had almost grotesque slapstick expressions BUT I think that’s okay. It’s okay is Kidman doesn’t nail the impression or look too much like her. As long as they don’t rely too heavily on reconstructing the actual TV show, she can give a great performance so in one very crucial way: good job, Kidman, I actually am looking forward to this now!

Bardem looks AWESOME.

FYC:
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

This is the reason you cannot trust in critics anymore

Again, again, again: can we all please refresh ourselves:

PUNDITS ARE NOT CRITICS! Maybe the only major pundit+critic is Peter Travers. If he’s said something, sure. I know it is elitist to make this sharp separation but it IS important in many ways: Metacritic will only count actual critics in prestige publications, and critics groups usually have strict print standards, so the majority of what you get from critics groups is vastly different to that of pundits. It just is!

I’m sorry but if your outlet is called NextBestPicture or AwardsDaily…….. that’s not a publication for anything but punditry! (Although AwardsDaily does have a critic now who is not Sasha Stone but until he gets a job at a newsy publication, he will not get counted as a critic by places that matter — the best case is them being put in “online critics” associations.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Again, again, again: can we all please refresh ourselves:

PUNDITS ARE NOT CRITICS! Maybe the only major pundit+critic is Peter Travers. If he’s said something, sure. I know it is elitist to make this sharp separation but it IS important in many ways: Metacritic will only count actual critics in prestige publications, and critics groups usually have strict print standards, so the majority of what you get from critics groups is vastly different to that of pundits. It just is!

I’m sorry but if your outlet is called NextBestPicture or AwardsDaily…….. that’s not a publication for anything but punditry! (Although AwardsDaily does have a critic now who is not Sasha Stone but until he gets a job at a newsy publication, he will not get counted as a critic by places that matter — the best case is them being put in “online critics” associations.

I’m sorry, i thought Scott Menzel was a critic.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottDMenzel/status/1450531528572690432

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Scott Menzel, as a lot of pundits do, calls himself a critic AND an entertainment journalist (lol those are 2 different jobs…) but the biggest thing is he founded WeLiveEntertainment which not only is tiny but is focused entirely on entertainment. So even though EW has critics, it’s big and has standards for its critics, it just does. He’s a pundit and like most pundits will not SAY that.

This tweet is hilariously true (from Jesse Hassenger at AVClub which is also entertainment-focused but has pretty high damn standards. They do books, music too!):

No spectacle in ETERNALS itself could be as grand as that of the early-reaction crowd struggling with language as they try to imitate critics describing an important movie. “Beautiful in its density and ambition, rich with contemplative sunsets and subtler arcs. Cinematography.”

FYC:

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

It will be interesting what Eternals does on Metacritic. I really feel it will be really strong there. I feel like it will be a movie that will surprise everyone being a MCU movie. Because of how different amd unique it will be. Ive seen lotta people say it’s not a MCU movie. Its a Chloe Zhao movie. And that makes me excited. Ive seen that the characters are really well done. There is a lotta cosmic exposition. But so there is in Dune. What? Because its MCU it cant be exposition heavy? Only Denis movies can inject tons of it. People are either open for exposition or not.

I think people here are only focusing on the few mixed reviews from a press junket. Dont want to call them the “simple critics” but thats what they are. Im really interested to see the reactions from the Rome Film Festival.

Im just excited to see a MCU movie that doesnt feel like one at all. I know its fun to hate Marvel here because they are successful and these oscar bait things flop miserably. I really think Feige should just stop aiming for Oscars. Black Panther was a anomaly. We live in a world where the Oscars just become less relevant every year. I hope he keeps doing what he does best and what the fans love (And what made this franchise gross over 23B$.)

While I love both the Oscars and CBMs, i honestly dont like the mix of them. Not trying to say some are not worthy… but theres sonething that doesnt feel right. While im excited for Eternals, I dont want it to be an awards contender.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

I think the Eternals point is moot. They’re not going to nominate Zhao twice in a row, let alone for a Marvel movie. It could do well in the technical areas, though.

At any rate, is it me or is it weird how much buzz Belfast has gotten? It’s like all the critics and pundits who watched it were hypnotized like in that SNL sketch–“I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!”

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

At any rate, is it me or is it weird how much buzz Belfast has gotten? It’s like all the critics and pundits who watched it were hypnotized like in that SNL sketch–“I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!”

Please the way pundits on Twitter herald Belfast as the second coming of Citizen Kane.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.