Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

It would be one thing if they just shrugged and went “well it’s the safe choice” but they seem genuinely enraptured? One of the guys who writes about Oscar stuff on Variety basically went through every category and every one he was like “but let’s not forget that Belfast could easily win this one!”

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I saw the Dune trailer and why is it high in the predictions center for things like Production Design? It looked quite UGLY to me. I didn’t like the trailer at all. I happen to love Timothee Chalamet but there wasn’t a single aspect of that trailer that made me want to see the movie. I have at least for now taken it out of several categories I had it in what I call “holding spots” until I get to see more of the films that are likely nominees. Trailers most often give us a ton of information, particularly about the visual look of a movie.

I also saw the Licorice Pizza trailer again when I saw No Time To Die today and I still really dislike that trailer. I also still do not understand why Bradley Cooper is so high in the predictions center for it; it is a real head-scratcher.

The Eternals trailer looks beyond stupid. I have no desire to see it. These are my opinions and I don’t expect anyone else to see it the same way I do.

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

A lot o people are comparing the movie to Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos) >>>>> Stephanie Germanotta (House of Gucci)

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

The Last Duel should have never gone to theaters during a pandemic. It should have been sold to Netflix a long time ago and it would have killed on Netflix a la The King. I couldn’t be more devasted for such a talented quartet of actors. Sigh.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

A week after AFI announced its “full lineup,” the Campion film has belatedly decided to go in for another “booster shot” alongside the premieres of fellow Netflix films Bruised and Tick, Tick…BOOM! (and not alongside Belfast).

The Power of the Dog belatedly joins AFI Fest lineup

Sony Classics brings Parallel Mothers and Jockey, Neon offers The Worst Person in the World and Petite Maman (but no Flee), A24 has Red Rocket (but no The Humans or C’mon C’mon), WB brings King Richard, Apple is to unveil Swan Song but no booster for its A24 coproduction The Tragedy of Macbeth. Amazon’s The Tender Bar and A Hero are similarly absent.

On a related note, is anyone else really feeling that fest/nonfest divide particularly sharply this year? All the above films and more really do seem to constitute a de facto separate awards competition from the one involving the movies apparently set for basic pre-theatrical premieres (Don’t Look Up, Nightmare Alley, West Side Story, House of Gucci, Licorice Pizza, Being the Ricardos – you can even add The Unforgivable, Finch and A Journal for Jordan). Of those, tbh I’m really thrilled by only LP based on the evidence so far – and it’s also the only film from that group I’d thought might step up for an AFI slot, but alas.

NB: The Unforgivable has Netflix’s barest-bones placeholder FYC page by far (like Bruised and Don’t Look Up, it’s not listed on the studio’s main FYC page).

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

I saw the Dune trailer and why is it high in the predictions center for things like Production Design? It looked quite UGLY to me. I didn’t like the trailer at all. I happen to love Timothee Chalamet but there wasn’t a single aspect of that trailer that made me want to see the movie. I have at least for now taken it out of several categories I had it in what I call “holding spots” until I get to see more of the films that are likely nominees. Trailers most often give us a ton of information, particularly about the visual look of a movie. I also saw the Licorice Pizza trailer again when I saw No Time To Die today and I still really dislike that trailer. I also still do not understand why Bradley Cooper is so high in the predictions center for it; it is a real head-scratcher. The Eternals trailer looks beyond stupid. I have no desire to see it. These are my opinions and I don’t expect anyone else to see it the same way I do.

In regards to Dune. Maybe you should actually see the movie before forming strong opinions….

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos) >>>>> Stephanie Germanotta (House of Gucci)

In regards to Dune. Maybe you should actually see the movie before forming strong opinions….

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

By the way is it just more or is this sort of a boring best picture line-up? Stuff like Belfast, TPOTD, Freaking Westide Story remake getting in. I just want to yawn so badly. We need some films to shake things up.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

I mean we don’t actually have a Best Picture lineup yet, we’re not psychics.

And even then, it’s shaping up to be a truly great year, at least in my opinion. It’s possible they give it to the boring choice, but who knows?

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

I mean we don’t actually have a Best Picture lineup yet, we’re not psychics. And even then, it’s shaping up to be a truly great year, at least in my opinion. It’s possible they give it to the boring choice, but who knows?

Thanks for stating the obvious, I’m refering to the current prediction line-up, it’s just meh compared to last year tbh. I’m hoping trash like Westide Story gets knocked out for something like The Last Duel. I would love more genre variety in the line-up rather than black and white films, remakes and boring dramas.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

From ‘Belfast’ to ‘Spencer,’ Top Oscar Contenders Are Skipping Platforms to Open Big

Platform releases are falling out of fashion for reasons that go beyond the pandemic and the rise of PVOD.

According to industry sources, only two Oscar-contending films have booked platform openings, both from Sony Pictures Classics: Pedro Almodóvar’s “Parallel Mothers” (December 24) and Sundance 2021 title “Jockey” (December 29), starring veteran actor Clifton Collins Jr. (SPC also is giving platform releases to Feature Documentary contender “Julia” and the drama “Mothering Sunday,” starring Josh O’Connor and Odessa Young, both arriving this November.)

Still TBD is Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Licorice Pizza,” with speculation that United Artists will open it over Thanksgiving weekend in New York and Los Angeles.

However, there are many would-be contenders that plan a limited opening in 50 or fewer theaters in multiple cities. These include Searchlight’s “The French Dispatch”; A24’s “C’mon, C’mon,” “Red Rocket,” and “The Tragedy of Macbeth”; and IFC’s “Bergman Island” and “Benedetta.”

FYC

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

Thanks for stating the obvious, I’m refering to the current prediction line-up, it’s just meh compared to last year tbh. I’m hoping trash like Westide Story gets knocked out for something like The Last Duel. I would love more genre variety in the line-up rather than black and white films, remakes and boring dramas.

Right? I want movies like Black Swan, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Zero Dark Thirty, Mad Max, Get Out, Little Miss Sunshine, etc etc. Exciting, fresh, bold, beautiful.

But instead we’re getting things like Green Book, The Theory of Everything, The Post, and ultra boring shite like that again.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Please the way pundits on Twitter herald Belfast as the second coming of Citizen Kane.

Hating on Belfast and being sarcastic about it is the new thing here. Hope this hate (same as Green Book, only existing here) won’t blind you in the upcoming award season. There’s a good film and let’s just enjoy it.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Frontrunner backlashes can turn toxic so fast nowadays.

FYC

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.