Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 509 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

(same as Green Book, only existing here) 

Spike Lee literally attempted to leave the ceremony when the announcement happened, and you have the audacity to say this?

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    Grand Sprites
    Topics:

Hating on Belfast and being sarcastic about it is the new thing here. Hope this hate (same as Green Book, only existing here) won’t blind you in the upcoming award season. There’s a good film and let’s just enjoy it.

I mean, there were legitimate reasons to dislike Green Book, and there were especially reasons to dislike it as the Academy’s pick for Best Picture. And said dislike was not limited to these forums. Lots of people of color were especially dissatisfied with it, and dismissing all that genuine criticism essentially as contrarian backlash is pretty ignorant.

Belfast doesn’t seem as bad, since it doesn’t share Green Book’s flawed racial politics. It has been criticized by some, however, as politically toothless considering its fairly loaded backdrop, and generally seems like the same kind of feelgood, saccharine, safe kind of film that many film fans would rather see the Oscars move away from than continue to award.

That being said, it is a little absurd to root against it to any major degree if you haven’t seen it. I’ll reserve judgment on it until I have, but I don’t personally see myself rooting for it come the Oscars. Which isn’t to say I expect to hate it, just that it won’t be my favorite.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Yeah. For some reason, I didnt mind the movies of last year season. I was actually excited for it maybe because of state of the world. But I dont feel like watching another awards season with Nomadlands. Sound of Metal. These typical Oscar baits. Im not into Belfast. TPOTD. Cmon Cmon. King Richard. West Side Story. The Tragedy of Macbeth

Im excited for Dune. Nightmare Alley. Licorice Pizza. Titane. Dont Look Up. Spencer. House of Gucci. Tick Tick Boom. The Last Duel.

I wanna try to keep a open mind tho. Right now, I just dont like or have any desire to watch the former movies I mentioned. Maybe once I watch them I get immersed. I actually loved CODA. And I would put that in former list.

Lets see

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I saw the Dune trailer and why is it high in the predictions center for things like Production Design? It looked quite UGLY to me.

As a matter of fact, the Production Design is inspired in part by brutalist architecture, which some people, not knowing much about history of art, call “ugly buildings”. The amount of research needed to build a world that it’s thousand of years into the future but still has meaningful connections to the present day is just fascinating and flawless in the movie. It’s probably winning production design.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

Spike Lee literally attempted to leave the ceremony when the announcement happened, and you have the audacity to say this?

Spike Lee was just bitter his film lost to Driving Miss Daisy all over again.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

I dunno, I’m just skeptical of the idea that Belfast will win everything. Four years ago, Sally Hawkins shtupping the Creature from the Black Lagoon was the SAFE choice for Best Picture. Green Book nonsense aside, the Academy has changed at least a little bit.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

By the way is it just more or is this sort of a boring best picture line-up? Stuff like Belfast, TPOTD, Freaking Westide Story remake getting in. I just want to yawn so badly. We need some films to shake things up.

My lord. One of those 3 things does not belong & you have to be blinded by hate to not want to see it. TPOTD is complex & even if you hate it, it’s incredibly hard to deny that it’s a character drama. Maybe you’re disinterested in that, but the other two films have none of the richness TPOTD does. Jeeeeez.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

I dunno, I’m just skeptical of the idea that Belfast will win everything. Four years ago, Sally Hawkins shtupping the Creature from the Black Lagoon was the SAFE choice for Best Picture. Green Book nonsense aside, the Academy has changed at least a little bit.

The Shape of Water is one of the Best Pictures winners of the last decade

Profile picture
    Morry Boland
    Topics:

The Eternals is currently at 100/1 to win best picture!!

Am I crazy to even consider this as a possible winner or nomination?

Reasons for a win/nomination:
    1)The director – she’s on fire after last year
    2)The reviews – incredibly positive – masterpiece vibes
    3)The alternative for the return of the blockbuster after COVID-19
    4) The power of Marvel/Disney to campaign hard
    5) Strong cast – SAG potential

I know on paper it’s not something that’s considered normally, but it’s not normal times

I honestly think , The Eternals is getting nominated and possibly a winner.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

The Eternals is currently at 100/1 to win best picture!! Am I crazy to even consider this as a possible winner or nomination? Reasons for a win/nomination: 1)The director – she’s on fire after last year 2)The reviews – incredibly positive – masterpiece vibes 3)The alternative for the return of the blockbuster after COVID-19 4) The power of Marvel/Disney to campaign hard 5) Strong cast – SAG potential I know on paper it’s not something that’s considered normally, but it’s not normal times I honestly think , The Eternals is getting nominated and possibly a winner.

Lol. Just dont. Its not. Winning is impossible. I dont think it will be nominated but I dont think its that hard to get in honestly.

Win is impossible. I assure you that

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

The Eternals is currently at 100/1 to win best picture!! Am I crazy to even consider this as a possible winner or nomination? Reasons for a win/nomination: 1)The director – she’s on fire after last year 2)The reviews – incredibly positive – masterpiece vibes 3)The alternative for the return of the blockbuster after COVID-19 4) The power of Marvel/Disney to campaign hard 5) Strong cast – SAG potential I know on paper it’s not something that’s considered normally, but it’s not normal times I honestly think , The Eternals is getting nominated and possibly a winner.

Nope. Chloe Zhao already got her Oscar gold last year, they’re not giving it to her again for a Marvel movie. If it really takes off, Eternals MIGHT get a nomination. But winning, out of the question.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m getting very concerned about House of Gucci. It’s release date isn’t so far off yet MGM have done such little promotion or campaigning for it. I know it’s Bond but it feels like there’s been more campaigning for No Time to Die than this!

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Nope. Chloe Zhao already got her Oscar gold last year, they’re not giving it to her again for a Marvel movie. If it really takes off, Eternals MIGHT get a nomination. But winning, out of the question.

Geez, don’t make Kevin’s lose eyebrow hair. As if pundits weren’t savage enough yesterday. 😀

Profile picture
    Morry Boland
    Topics:

Maybe you guys are right.

Maybe the Sally Field effect only works for actors :).

With Chloe Zhao involved I felt perhaps it gives the movie more weight in terms of awards potential.

It’s interesting, I never thought the reviews would be so good for The Eternals, as the trailer felt flat for me

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Geez, don’t make Kevin’s lose eyebrow hair. As if pundits yesterday weren’t savage enough. 😀

Don’t get me wrong, I quite like Marvel movies! And I’m certainly interested in seeing how Eternals goes. But they’re simply not going to give Best Picture to a Marvel movie–if it didn’t happen for Black Panther, it’s not going to happen.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.