Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    Grand Sprites
    Topics:

I don’t know why people are taking King Richard seriously as a Best Picture contender. Nominated, maybe, but winning? It’s not 2004 anymore.

What are you talking about? Don’t you remember when Ford v Ferrari and The Post both won Best Picture? This is the kind of movie the Academy loves!

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

What are you talking about? Don’t you remember when Ford v Ferrari and The Post both won Best Picture? This is the kind of movie the Academy loves!

Yeah people need to end it with this King Richard can win best picture discourse. Just because a film is a crowdpleaser doesn’t mean the academy will just instantly fall in love with it. They aren’t the general public and generally have more higher brow tastes than them, hence films like Nomadland winning over the more “crowdpleasing” Chicago 7. The academy have much more complex tastes than we give them credit for and have the ability to go for more arty picks if they choose to. This is why we can’t discount Power of the Dog here and why Belfast isn’t some unstoppable frontrunner.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

I think I might write an article about this sort of thing for use as a writing sample.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Yeah people need to end it with this King Richard can win best picture discourse. Just because a film is a crowdpleaser doesn’t mean the academy will just instantly fall in love with it. They aren’t the general public and generally have more higher brow tastes than them, hence films like Nomadland winning over the more “crowdpleasing” Chicago 7. The academy have much more complex tastes than we give them credit for and have the ability to go for more arty picks if they choose to. This is why we can’t discount Power of the Dog here and why Belfast isn’t some unstoppable frontrunner.

I’ve long been treading the middle ground with King Richard.

I think many folks are selling short its chances at multiple noms (i.e, not just Smith) and coming in as a solid “top 5” BP nominee vs. believed to be filling a 6-10 slot like FvF or The Post, neither of which had win-competitive acting performances.

However, I do also believe that KR’s odds of scoring a BP win, while strong, are not commandingly so, even with Smith arguably having the best chance of winning Best Actor. (New from Forbes: King Richard’: The Best Actor Oscar Is Will Smith’s To Lose)

Between KR and Belfast, there will likely be some (siphoning?) overlap in their appeal among Ampas voters, but much less between either of them and The Power of the Dog, which I expect to gather a strong core of Ampas support.

But no one should be totally counting out any of these three films.

I’ll be watching for reactions to KR and TPOTD on the Academy’s home turf at the AFI Fest out of the large shadow cast by Belfast. Netflix’s late submission of TPOTD looks as if it could be a move to keep the film spotlighted in the early days of Belfast’s general US release.

Perhaps it was the case that Focus is feeling confident enough to skip one final “booster shot” engagement days at the festival, mere ahead of the release of the Branagh film – the fest starts Nov 10 and Belfast is set to open in general release two days later. Or since rival Netflix already locked down the opening night with the world premiere of Tick, Tick…Boom!, Focus saw little potential upside from squeezing into AFI simply for “presence.”

(Or maybe Branagh simply doesn’t want to risk bumping into Alfonso Cuaron? 😂)

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Vogue offers up The Best Movies of 2021

This piece reports that, as previously noted, Neon has not set US release dates for Petite Maman or The Worst Person in the World, and that The Humans is set for a simultaneous release in theaters and on Showtime on Nov 24.

Of course in the intro the article also apparently refers to Spencer as Diana, so theres that.

FYC

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

The constant shoving of Belfast down everyone’s throats from pundits and Twitter awards folks is becoming insufferable. I gave a differing opinion on a tweet where someone said Belfast looks to be the frontrunner with King Richard close behind and having the possibility of going all the way, and I got a rather condescending GIF response back. I’m starting to feel total apathy towards Belfast.

I was also starting to feel that way.

But this sub pathetic and desperate hate towards Belfast has me rooting the fuck up for it, and feel an extreme apathy for TPOTD

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Is Gotham fun?? Yes. Hell yes.

Does it have any kind of importance or relevance for awards season ? Sorry for Belfast haters, But it does not at all. Its irrelevant

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

In my view, it’s not just that Isaac, and Dinklage for that matter, are “bigger” names– they are also both widely respected for their body of work. It’s an uphill battle for either one to get nominated but I think their chances are notably higher than Rex’s or Collins’.

Jockey and Red Rocket are getting “booster shot” engagements at next month’s AFI Fest, on the Academy’s home turf. Will be looking for how they play there.

Of course this is just the undercard – the bigger AFI spectacle will be the de facto Smith vs. Cumberbatch showdown with screenings of King Richard and The Power of the Dog. (Washington’s and Dinklage’s films will be absent, same with Phoenix’s.) And the premiere of Andrew Garfield’s Tick, Tick…Boom! is a wild card, as we will have an implied Netflix vs Netflix matchup with Cumberbatch. (I’m not expecting much buzz from Apple’s premiering Swan Song for Mahershala Ali.)

On the actress side, the festival is offering a big spotlight on a premiere from Bruised’s Halle Berry, and providing another boost for Parallel Mothers’ Penelope Cruz and The Worst Person in the World’s Renate Reinsve. (Like with Ali, not expecting a boost for Swan Song’s Naomie Harris. And Colman’s film isn’t screening.)
    Of course the fest will be unfolding against the backdrop of Spencer in wide theatrical release, and the streaming debut of Passing, both of which may be taking up a lot of oxygen by then.

FYC

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Of course this is just the undercard – the bigger AFI spectacle will be the de facto Smith vs. Cumberbatch showdown with screenings of King Richard and The Power of the Dog.

Maybe Smith is finally showing up??

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

I love Cumberbatch and thought he was great in TPOTD but I don’t see him winning anything other than the BAFTA because those guys are obviously not awarding Smith and they hate Denzel for some reason.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

I was also starting to feel that way. But this sub pathetic and desperate hate towards Belfast has me rooting the fuck up for it, and feel an extreme apathy for TPOTD

Dude. I feel the same way! I mean I liked TPOTD but it was never going to be the type of movie that I would love but I appreciated it’s filmmaking and production values, performances and it’s theme and I’m totally game with it winning any oscars the Academy sees fit. But at the same time I absolutely detest the way people in this forum treat it like it’s the second coming of Citizen Kane and that people must fawn over it and nobody is allowed to consider any other film a better film. If it does wins Best Picture, it’s going to be one of the most forgettable wins to the general public in recent years even worse than Spotlight.

Let’s go Belfast! Dune! Licorice Pizza! Nightmare Alley! Don’t Look Up! West Side Story! It will give so much joy if one of them win.

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

If Cumberbatch takes the BAFTA I’ll predict him for the Oscar as well.

As for Titane, Ana Maria Bahiana loves it. If it gets in with HFPA it will have no problem with the Academy.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

If Cumberbatch takes the BAFTA I’ll predict him for the Oscar as well. As for Titane, Ana Maria Bahiana loves it. If it gets in with HFPA it will have no problem with the Academy.

</p>
    Sandra Bullock didn’t need the BAFTA to win the Oscar. Heck she wasn’t even nominated for the BAFTA. I expect Will Smith to follow a similar path to his Oscar. But then again after this past awards season who knows.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

KR is coming for SAG Ensemble, sorry the rest. It’s over.

Alos, both Belfast haters (GD) and stans (Film Twitter) and TPOTD stans (GD) are in sufferable.

Cumberbatch can win BAFTA all he wants he won’t win AMPAS. he’s a technical actor but cannot pass for an American (not talking about accent) to save his life. He has too much Britishness up his ass.

If you can’t see Smith is the winner performance/role I don’t know what to tell you. Perfect blend of star and character.

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Dude. I feel the same way! I mean I liked TPOTD but it was never going to be the type of movie that I would love but I appreciated it’s filmmaking and production values, performances and it’s theme and I’m totally game with it winning any oscars the Academy sees fit. But at the same time I absolutely detest the way people in this forum treat it like it’s the second coming of Citizen Kane and that people must fawn over it and nobody is allowed to consider any other film a better film. If it does wins Best Picture, it’s going to be one of the most forgettable wins to the general public in recent years even worse than Spotlight. Let’s go Belfast! Dune! Licorice Pizza! Nightmare Alley! Don’t Look Up! West Side Story! It will give so much joy if one of them win.

Nobody here considers TPOTD the second coming of Citizen Kane and people still have doubts it can win. You’re confusing us with the pundits who are hailing Belfast like some masterpiece and constantly saying nothing can beat it. Sorry for fighting back, supporting the better movie in this race and not hopping on to the Belfast train like everyone else. You can go to AW for that.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.