Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 509 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

What if King Richard flops at the box office then what happens?

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

*Drops Dune to #10 and removes Denis Villeneuve from Director lineup after watching the film*

Better put both back up because that move will not pay off at all.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

RIDERS OF JUSTICE:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Mads Mikkelsen)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Nicolas Bro)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

IF you want to see DUNE this weekend, I urge you to see it in a theatre because its visual and auditive awe deploy full power in that situation. And, yes, I loved it and admire it.

From Del Toro.

Villeneuve has received Zhao, Cuaron, and Del Toro’s blessings. Don’t see how Villeneuve will miss directing if the directing branch (Oscar winning directors I may add) has been so supportive of Dune publicly.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    Grand Sprites
    Topics:

* PTA movies aren’t “oscar bait”

Yeah, I get the sense people have been getting entirely the wrong impression about Licorice Pizza. It’s probably going to be weirder and darker than the trailer lets on.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

IF you want to see DUNE this weekend, I urge you to see it in a theatre because its visual and auditive awe deploy full power in that situation. And, yes, I loved it and admire it. From Del Toro. Villeneuve has received Zhao, Cuaron, and Del Toro’s blessings. Don’t see how Villeneuve will miss directing if the directing branch (Oscar winning directors I may add) has been so supportive of Dune publicly.

Yes, a part of me wonders if Villeneuve could really just go all the way? Villeneuve has a LOT of industry support it seems, which isn’t to say the frontrunner Campion doesn’t, but I wonder if he could overtake her in passion?  It’s too early to say of course, I’m just curious.

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

So I watched Dune! I liked it. It was good, which is hard for the material! I don’t think it was at all EXCELLENT or a MASTERPIECE or anything, but it was pretty good—I will 100% go watch Part 2 if it gets made which I hope it does because…yeah I wanna watch it. That said, Villeneuve sure put a lot of pressure for him to knock it out of the park with Part 2 because it really does feel a little deflated and also because the whole pacing of this, where the story stops…it’s a little curious, but whatever, big deal.

Everything that everyone’s predicting it for: BP, techs…yep, makes sense. Score—I don’t see what’s so great about this score. It’s pretty darn generic compared to the incredible work done in Production Design & Visual Effects. Yeah, I honestly don’t even remember it, it was generic-haunting-chamber-music to the best of my recollection. I don’t necessarily see WHY Villeneuve should get BD for this over stiff competition… I’ve definitely seen at least 5 films I think are much bigger directorial accomplishments, and I have yet to see so many. Cinematography was very good but here I’ll also applaud overall restraint: it’s not showy, and it’s nod-worthy, but it’s hardly some UNDISPUTED WINNER for me. Ari Wegner deserves this a lot more.

OK quibbles I gotta say……..

Timothee better level up for Part 2 because that was…just like the bare minimum—and yes I know his character is an empty vessel even in the book but STILL. Zendaya was treated like Manic Pixie Dune Girl, the repetition of images was WAY TOO MUCH, wtf is up with the casting of Javier Bardem and LITERALLY Rebecca Ferguson carries the emotion of this film on her back almost single-handedly. She’s awesome, but she’s possibly made more awesome by the fact that I honestly don’t quite the casting worked here for many of the roles (even Oscar Isaac. And I LOVE him. But I couldn’t help but giggle at certain…delivery, and that’s not ideal).

Regardless—liked it, comfortably sitting in my BP predix, not sitting in my BD predix, and also Jonny Greenwood should win, this should 100% not even be in question.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

What if King Richard flops at the box office then what happens?

You know it will girl. We will see what numbers Dune brings in this weekend, but overall WB/HBO releases have been DOA since King Kong vs. Godzilla. I highly doubt Will Smith’s name alone is going to bring this to a smash. People call this crowd pleasing like it’s some damn Disney movie for the whole family.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Also: how bad can Last Night in SoHo possibly be? I’m still so darn excited to see it, and will. I don’t really get the whole response to this film tbh. With Dune, it’s clear critics liked it enough and audiences loved it enough for it to happen, and most of the quibbles make sense to me. I get why it wasn’t met with universal critical praise for sure!

With SoHo, I’m still a little baffled. So it goes a little nuts? Isn’t…that what a film marketed like this is supposed to do :/

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Also: how bad can Last Night in SoHo possibly be? I’m still so darn excited to see it, and will.  

Its not bad at all, just suffers from a mediocre screenplay and a very underwhelming final act. It’s far from bad, the first hour and change is a fever dream with a movie star in the making performance by ATJ and nothing short of a blast.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also: how bad can Last Night in SoHo possibly be? I’m still so darn excited to see it, and will. I don’t really get the whole response to this film tbh. With Dune, it’s clear critics liked it enough and audiences loved it enough for it to happen, and most of the quibbles make sense to me. I get why it wasn’t met with universal critical praise for sure! With SoHo, I’m still a little baffled. So it goes a little nuts? Isn’t…that what a film marketed like this is supposed to do :/

I actually quite liked it. The last 10/15 minutes are a bit disappointing and its ending isn’t very original but it’s still a great enjoyable film with excellent performances from ATJ and Rigg (McKenzie was great too although I wouldn’t nominate her) and sensational direction from Edgar Wright.

If the film had a better final act it probably would have been better received and would have been a classic but I’d still give it 8/10 tbh.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

I actually quite liked it. The last 10/15 minutes are a bit disappointing and its ending isn’t very original but it’s still a great enjoyable film with excellent performances from ATJ and Rigg (McKenzie was great too although I wouldn’t nominate her) and sensational direction from Edgar Wright. If the film had a better final act it probably would have been better received and would have been a classic but I’d still give it 8/10 tbh.

This is how I feel,  but just give it a 7/10. I feel the same way, but did not enjoy the last 30 minutes or so.  But we both agree on ATJ. Her fans have to show up for this. They will not be disappointed.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Would absolutely love it if Julia Ducornau got a Director nomination for Titane. With all the international directors getting acclaim and nominations, she should easily get one. It would be one of the most deserved nominations the Academy’s ever given.

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

We know there WILL be at least one European director in the line up. As always.

Branagh, Almodovar, Trier, Sorrentino, Ducournau. One of these will be nominated.

I also can see the branch getting behind Larrain like they did with PTA with Phantom Thread. Spencer is essentially a british film. Larrain would be the first south american director since Fernando Meirelles, so I’m rooting for him.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

Yeah, I get the sense people have been getting entirely the wrong impression about Licorice Pizza. It’s probably going to be weirder and darker than the trailer lets on.

PTA is one of my favourite directors. Phantom Thread was baity but his other films have not been. I’ve never understood the overconfidence in Licorice pizza since before it was seen, but I reckon it’s going to be weird in a punch drunk love kind of way.

Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

Just saw Dune. The film itself was visually beautiful, sound mixing and soundtrack were great, casting was great (Rebecca and Oscar were excellent and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Jason Momoa as Duncan), but the writing wasn’t there for the cast to really develop their characters. Also had pacing issues. Second half of the film felt entirely too slow and anticlimactic given the events around the midpoint of the film. It deserves technical noms, but that’s about it.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.