Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 509 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

I will say, watch out fir Rebecca Hall…

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

I think Marvel is starting to see the limitations of its formula. Time and again, the most acclaimed movies–Ragnarok, GOTG, Black Panther–are the ones which have a recognizable personal touch. You can say that even they were factory-processed if you want, but it’s certainly nowhere near as noticeable.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Captain Marvel, Black Widow, and GOTG 2 really deserved to be panned. I can’t help but feel critics were more harsh on Eternals since it was directed by a recent Academy Award winner. Anyways I hope critics are consistent with these negative reviews for future Marvel movies otherwise its just unjustified drubbing to Zhao’s work. I am sure Eternals is better than Black Widow from a stylistic view.

Spider Man: No Way Home will have worse reviews. There’s no way that movie is going to work.

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Just with the Eternals… I hope the mixed reaction for this, as well as the weak box office for Suicide Squad, is an omen of the end for these type of studio movies.

Let it be said that the studio movies of the past were probably of equivocal quality, but, at the very least, the majority of them had a charismatic movie star…

In these movies, they literally just waste the actors… With how acclaimed a movie that Black Panther was, don’t you think it’s strange that not a single person got into the acting categories at any major award joint, especially given that its an ensemble that included Daniel Kaluuya, Lupita Nyong’o and Michael B. Jordan amongst others… Yes, I enjoyed Black Panther. I enjoyed Guardians Of The Galaxy. I enjoyed Avengers: Infinity War…

But if those are the peak for these types of movies (7 or 8 out of 10s at best, I’d reckon, would be the general consensus, even for Black Panther – which, realistically, probably wasn’t entirely deserving of that Best Picture nomination).

I hope general audiences are getting as tired of these movies as I am.

I didn’t love Free Guy, particularly, but when even something as mediocre as a Ryan Reynolds-starring vehicle feels like a breath of fresh air…

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Eternals was never going anywhere regardless of critical reception. It was always going to perform like every MCU film: a VFX nomination at best.

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

From the beginning it didn’t make any sense for Chloe Zhao to do a Marvel movie. She’s not that kind of director.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

From the beginning it didn’t make sense Eternals would be an Oscar player just because Zhao was directing it.

She was (over)rewarded last season. She can take a seat this season.

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

With how acclaimed a movie that Black Panther was, don’t you think it’s strange that not a single person got into the acting categories at any major award joint, especially given that its an ensemble that included Daniel Kaluuya, Lupita Nyong’o and Michael B. Jordan amongst others… Yes, I enjoyed Black Panther. I enjoyed Guardians Of The Galaxy. I enjoyed Avengers: Infinity War…

I agree with your general point, but I just wanted to point out that Michael B. Jordan was singled out by a variety of critics’ groups and was even nominated for Best Supporting Actor at Critics’ Choice

But yes, I completely agree, the individual power and ability of different actors is often diluted in Marvel movies.

Profile picture
    mporter455
    Topics:

the elitist circle jerk in here over Eternals lol

It’s sitting at 74% on RT, which isn’t great for Marvel but it’s not getting panned like many of yall are making it out to be. Curious to see more reviews’ roll in. I’m glad they took a chance, deviated from the formula and went with an interesting director. I think it will be better for it. It probably won’t show up anywhere outside of VFX but that was going to be a high bar for it to clear anyway.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

The French Dispatch Titane The Worst Person in the World The Power of the Dog Licorice Pizza Benedetta Dune The Souvenir Part 2 The Green Knight Red Rocket The Razzie for worst movie will be between Eternals and Belfast

is this your best picture lineup prediction? Your favorite movies? or what? what the f*ck is this darling?

If you need anything ask Caroleanne

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

the elitist circle jerk in here over Eternals lol It’s sitting at 74% on RT, which isn’t great for Marvel but it’s not getting panned like many of yall are making it out to be. Curious to see more reviews’ roll in. I’m glad they took a chance, deviated from the formula and went with an interesting director. I think it will be better for it. It probably won’t show up anywhere outside of VFX but that was going to be a high bar for it to clear anyway.

I think most are happy that Marvel deviated from its formula, but clearly a Chloe Zhao MCU film should be better rated than this? It is among the worst reviewed MCU movies on RT.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’m not TOO surprised bc obviously in all likelihood Eternals would not be a factor, but I held the outside chance that it could be. It has too many disadvantages though: has to introduce a whole new world of characters and TYPES of celestial beings, be GRAND, and then meet the bizarre expectations Kevin Feige set out which did way more harm than good. I’d rather Zhao have done a more specific character-focused MCU film.

I don’t people are all that elitist about MCU films, but to some degree yes. Listen, it IS a huge achievement in that it’s built such a powerful mythology thru cross-cutting stories and decades of films, some of which happen to be good. Marvel and DC have been trying to do that for ages, most franchises cannot sustain themselves past a few films, the fact that even with the shittiest of films you can count on so many fans coming in being geeks & having watched almost all of those films — it’s an achievement, let’s not pretend it isn’t.

No MCU film has been BP-worthy for me yet, but sooner or later it will be. They took some big-ish swings with Wandavision & Loki even if both ended on disappointingly formulaic notes. Still, the premises are fairly out of the box, they’re learning to give different stuff, it’s just that people also like the Marvel-like humor and formulaic action sequences so it’s gonna take a particularly visionary director to rethink that. Just bc Zhao failed (I assume, but I’d like to form my own opinion) doesn’t mean everyone will. In the meantime I will watch it regardless. All is well.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It’s going to be the Best Picture lineup in 2022. What is difficult to understand about that?

Hey its a great lineup. Don’t think it’ll happen but it’s miles better than the current top 10 on GD so… props to your taste 🙂

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Marvel movies already should’ve been panned a couple of times (Far From Heaven

Babe I had no idea Julianne had Marvel movies on her résumé lol

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Babe I had no idea Julianne had Marvel movies on her résumé lol

Pls my floppage 😂 I didn’t notice that. Thanks for letting me know. I obviously meant Far From Home. Lemme go fix it.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.