Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 509 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

All MCU has been crap, except for Ironman and Civil War.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Eternals is Dune Wanna be.

Shame on you Marvel stans who shits on Villeneuve (and I like Marvel!)

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

The French Dispatch Titane The Worst Person in the World The Power of the Dog Licorice Pizza Benedetta Dune The Souvenir Part 2 The Green Knight Red Rocket The Razzie for worst movie will be between Eternals and Belfast

I missed your delightful bullshit

My Favourite Albums

Oil Of Every Pearl's Un-Insides - SOPHIE

Hounds of Love - Kate Bush

Since I Left You - The Avalanches

Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest

Vespertine - Bjork

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I know that people are confident in Dune right now, but I keep seeing people saying that the movie is emotionless. This could be a hurdle with the Academy, especially the acting and writers branches.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Black Panther wasn’t good, i felt so disappointed with this movie. T’chala deserved a better movie, specially after how good he was in civil war.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

I know that people are confident in Dune right now, but I keep seeing people saying that the movie is emotionless. This could be a hurdle with the Academy, especially the acting and writers branches.

The movie is not winning in acting categories, however it could win multiple Oscars in special effects, score, sound and Production Design.

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

It has too many disadvantages though: has to introduce a whole new world of characters and TYPES of celestial beings, be GRAND, and then meet the bizarre expectations Kevin Feige set out which did way more harm than good. I’d rather Zhao have done a more specific character-focused MCU film. 

Both Dune and Eternals have ensemble cast, the difference is (imo!) Dune didn’t try to highlight every character. It’s a gamble from Denis’ side but it works. He has the confidence that Dune part II will be greenlighted by the studio so he focuses on world building and other technical stuff. I understand that the exposition can get boring, but otherwise it gets most moviegoers excited throughout the film. I haven’t seen eternals but from what I’ve read they tried to give everyone some backstories  and a few of them failed so the script is a bit of mess and the villain is your typical MCU villain.

Ps: sorry if I didn’t make any sense, English is my 3rd language and I haven’t gotten my caffeine quota for this morning

Pps: Timothy is outacted by every actor he shares the scene with. Especially Rebecca Ferguson. Especially her. She carries the whole movie. The best part easily.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I found it fascinating that LA Times review on Eternals is positive (70) on Metacritic but its Rotten on RT.

FYC:

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Eternals is Dune Wanna be. Shame on you Marvel stans who shits on Villeneuve (and I like Marvel!)

I’m one of the admins of one of marvel update accounts and marvel stans who shit on Dune are just the ones who got screenshot from early Dune screening on letterboxd. so maybe just a few of them.

Most of them, at least in my circle (and their friends), love it. Even overpraised it imo. In my observation they like directors like Denis, Nolan, Edgar Wright, and Ryan Johnson. Also they’re stans. Most of them are 14 yo. They’re bound to be the loudest in the room.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

I found it fascinating that LA Times review on Eternals is positive (70) on Metacritic but its Rotten on RT.

Highlighting the risk in overrelying on the MC and RT for any sort of precise reading of critical consensus in many cases where it’s not simply a whole bunch of clear-cut yeas or nays.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Highlighting the risk in overrelying on the MC and RT for any sort of precise reading of critical consensus in many cases where it’s not simply a whole bunch of clear-cut yeas or nays.

I read throughout the whole review and can confirm that Dustin Chang said that its a very mixed bag but nothing about it is downright awful. Sort of “Ms Zhao, I know you could done better than this” fashion. Some praise for the cast but the worldbuilding is a cons point.

I’m one of the admins of one of marvel update accounts and marvel stans who shit on Dune are just the ones who got screenshot from early Dune screening on letterboxd. so maybe just a few of them. Most of them, at least in my circle (and their friends), love it. Even overpraised it imo. In my observation they like directors like Denis, Nolan, Edgar Wright, and Ryan Johnson. Also they’re stans. Most of them are 14 yo. They’re bound to be the loudest in the room.

I know, mature marvel fans watch other movies and wouldnt shit on any filmmakers simply because they don’t like marvel movies.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I posted it before all the Eternals stuff hit this board but:

Back of the envelope calculations: roughly 19% of overall AMPAS is POC. Acting branch is much more diverse. We can’t be naive and think this will not have a huge effect on BP. Barring King Richard there aren’t many POC contenders, and no edgy/indie POC contender except for Passing.

Sooooo…….. what is it? So far we’ve been subject to almost all-white pundits’ speculation. What are we not seeing?

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Can ‘Being the Ricardos,’ ‘Nightmare Alley’ and Other Late Releases Still Make an Oscar Impact?

Excerpts below, though there’s not a lot of interesting detail. It does seem the “Bradley Cooper’s Licorice Pizza role is small” line is one being focused on recently as a way to pre-emptively cut off supporting-actor nomination talk (Vanity Fair’s pundits made a similar observation).

[Nightmare Alley] likely won’t be seen until sometime around Thanksgiving, which puts it against the deadlines of Oscars precursors like the National Board of Review and the New York Film Critics Circle.

Many are hyped for [Bradley Cooper‘s] outing with writer-director Paul Thomas Anderson on Licorice Pizza. But Cooper’s role in that film is said to be a small one. All eyes are expected be on singer Alana Haim and newcomer Cooper Hoffman, the son of the late Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Mum is the word on two-time best director winner Steven Spielberg’s remake of West Side Story, leading to questions regarding its quality or whether they are trying to create distance between this film and the financial disappointment of the other Latino musical of the year, In the Heights. There’s also the controversy surrounding star Ansel Elgort, who has been accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl, which he’s denied.

FYC

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

I posted it before all the Eternals stuff hit this board but:

Back of the envelope calculations: roughly 19% of overall AMPAS is POC. Acting branch is much more diverse. We can’t be naive and think this will not have a huge effect on BP. Barring King Richard there aren’t many POC contenders, and no edgy/indie POC contender except for Passing.

Sooooo…….. what is it? So far we’ve been subject to almost all-white pundits’ speculation. What are we not seeing?

There is Mexican-American actor Clifton Collins Jr., though as a stan of Jockey maybe i’m not the most impartial person to point that out. 😉

FYC

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.