Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Both Dune and Eternals have ensemble cast, the difference is (imo!) Dune didn’t try to highlight every character. It’s a gamble from Denis’ side but it works. He has the confidence that Dune part II will be greenlighted by the studio so he focuses on world building and other technical stuff. I understand that the exposition can get boring, but otherwise it gets most moviegoers excited throughout the film. I haven’t seen eternals but from what I’ve read they tried to give everyone some backstories and a few of them failed so the script is a bit of mess and the villain is your typical MCU villain

Guess we now know for certain that in post-screening social-media pundit language, ‘different’ is simply code for ‘disappointing’ (or worse?).

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Pls my floppage 😂 I didn’t notice that. Thanks for letting me know. I obviously meant Far From Home. Lemme go fix it.

I cackled…thought that’s what you meant…but tbh did actually research if there was another Far From Heaven…shows how much I know 🤣

Regarding RT/MC reviews mistakes happen. I noticed one “fresh” caption of Respect recently which pretty much had nothing positive to say. So I read the full review and again the majority of the review was negative. I reported it to the admin (there’s a dispute option somewhere) and I’ve noticed recently a few weeks later that review is now logged as “rotten”. Just goes to show the sites sometimes need help from users to be accurate.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

Guess we now know for certain that in post-screening social-media pundit language, ‘different’ is simply code for ‘disappointing’ (or worse?).

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Yuh, I mean who actually wants to give a rotten review you know? Especially to a director who just won big a year before. Also I can understand why they hesitated especially after the premier, MCU has rabid stans and they’re mostly very narrow-minded and childish. They’ll try using ‘social justice’ to defend Eternals. But from what I heard the representation in the movie is actually quite natural and not pandering. So that’s a plus.

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

There is Mexican-American actor Clifton Collins Jr., though as a stan of Jockey maybe i’m not the most impartial person to point that out. 😉

As good as the film may be – and I’m sure it’s really good – I struggle to see Collins Jr. making a mark, outside of BAFTA and Critics’ Choice.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:
    deemura
    Topics:

Even one of the biggest MCU shills gives this movie 6/10

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

what reviews are politely saying is that the movie’s dull as a dishwasher thanks to the overlong running time, boring characters and convoluted nonsense of the story that isn’t helped by an unnecessary flashback-heavy structure.

They also hint at a bizarre Lets Show DC How It’s Done hubris where most characters are morose and in conflict and the one that steals the show is a typical Marvel quipper which is to say this is a failed experiment, stick to what you do best.

And yes, a number of very negative sounding reviews are still submitted as fresh so they are scared to full admit this is a dog.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Here is it. RottenTomatoes actually allows some critics to “self submit” their reviews and ratings to define whether its rotten or fresh (or if critics didnt do so, RT will did it themselves). Not so much on Metacritic, where they gave the number by themselves from high profile publications.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Dune is such a masterpiece, give it all the awards tbh.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Here is it. RottenTomatoes actually allows some critics to “self submit” their reviews and ratings to define whether its rotten or fresh (or if critics didnt do so, RT will did it themselves). Not so much on Metacritic, where they gave the number by themselves from high profile publications.

Shocking. 😀 😀 😀

Disney/Marvel should get off its high horse. You are not always going to hit it out of the park, and if you hold a threat over critics heads that they won’t get an access to Disney content, they are going to lie about your quality and you won’t know what to improve. And then the moment will come when they won’t be able to lie anymore and that’s going to be the moment when you needed the lie the most. Such as this failed attempt to socially engineer a superhero Oscar bait. It checked all the boxes but forgot that those boxes had little to do with what makes movies good or great.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I don’t actually think most of the top critics (the ones counted by MC e.g.) worry at all about pissing anyone off. They’re totally secure because they’re established bigwigs & they pan major studio films with major stars/directors all the freaking time. This is not the first Marvel film to get “disappointing” reviews; people are just paying more attention to it all because it’s Chloe Zhao.

Though I gotta say — I honestly don’t agree with the premise of the criticism. Superhero movies may not be a genre, like David Erhlich says, but they’re definitely a sub-genre in action/adventure films and I don’t know why exactly that’s indicative of “Marvel machinery” kicking in. It’s built-in: Chloe Zhao made an action movie and ofc there’s going to be climactic battles. People doth protest too much.

Maybe it really is terrible but I don’t see why yet & am still eager to watch it. Don’t really care about anything except having a fun time watching a Marvel film for ~2 hours, I know what they do, it’s fine lol

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Such as this failed attempt to socially engineer a superhero Oscar bait.

Lol honestly I think that’s probably just Kevin Feige, it does not seem like Chloe Zhao tried to make an Oscar bait film, she just……made a film. 🤷🏽‍♂️

And in any case it was never going to affect her overall career. If Alfonso Cuaron can get away with having directed one of the most mediocre Harry Potter films, Zhao will be A-OK.

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Film expert
    Topics:

Fucking hell, Prisoner of Azkaban is  the best Potter film ever made, and is considered as such by many if not most fans.

Talk about awfully bad take

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I was worried about Eternals from the start tbh. I don’t trust Marvel to not intervene in some way with what the director wants to do when the director was mostly unknown before they were hired to make their films. Feige is arrogant like that. And sadly, it seems like this was fucked in a way. Makes me worried about Zatanna with Emerald Fennell.

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Fucking hell, Prisoner of Azkaban is the best Potter film ever made, and is considered as such by many if not most fans.

Talk about awfully bad take

Jesus. Was this overreaction really necessary in this moment?

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.