Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Can ‘Being the Ricardos,’ ‘Nightmare Alley’ and Other Late Releases Still Make an Oscar Impact? Excerpts below, though there’s not a lot of interesting detail. It does seem the “Bradley Cooper’s Licorice Pizza role is small” line is one being focused on recently as a way to pre-emptively cut off supporting-actor nomination talk (Vanity Fair’s pundits made a similar observation).

I sure hope they can because this Oscar season is shaping up to be a snore fest.</p>
    I get it in 2020. There were very few movies. But cmon. Lotta great non oscar bait stuff this year.

I sure hope for newcomers making major impact

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Dune is only locked in Production Design, VFX (which it’s definitely winning) and Sound. Editing is unlikely (it has some passing issues) and Cinematography and Score don’t seem guaranteed imo. I doubt it’s getting a Costume Design nom, as the category is not very sci-fi friendly.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Just saw Dune and I don’t think Denis Villeneuve will be nominated for Best Director; he certainly would not deserve a nomination. The film has some good things in it but it also has insipid dialogue, ugly production designs, and plenty of slow dead spots in its running time. On the plus side the score is excellent, and I would expect the film to definitely get nominations for Visual Effects, Score, and Sound, with the possibility of a few other nominations. But Production Design? I hope not. I found it to be incredibly UGLY to look at, nothing special. Would enough voters get it into one of the ten slots for BP? IDK, but I really hope the Director’s Branch says NO to a nomination for Villeneuve’s so-so direction.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I think Dune is definitely getting into Best Picture. Surprised to see it so low in SAG Ensemble, it seems like a sure bet to me there too. If we’re predicting such an impressive under-the-line haul for it, and it’s actually being widely SEEN (something that can’t be said about Villeneuve’s last film), I think it slots into the fifth-to-seventh range easily. Not everyone may be a fan, but its fans are more than passionate enough.

I’m predicting Villeneuve for Director right now, but he does feel like the type of contender that gets nominated all season but is shut out at the last second for someone like Joachim Trier or PTA.

EMMYS FYC
    Dickinson – Hailee Steinfeld, Anna Baryshnikov
    Kevin Can F**k Himself – Mary Hollis Inboden
    Only Murders – James Caverley
    The Other Two – Drew Tarver, Heléne Yorke
    Physical – Rose Byrne
    Schmigadoon! – Ariana DeBose
    The White Lotus – Alexandra Daddario

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

<i>Licorice Pizza</i> had no reason to skip the festival circuit. Licorice Pizza doesn’t have the prestigious pedigree of Phantom Thread which was had Daniel Day-Lewis’ final exit. I would imagine Haim and Cooper Hoffman could have woo’d possible voters at screenings and the press would have heavily pushed PTA’s overdue narrative from interviews and press junkets.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

I sure hope they can because this Oscar season is shaping up to be a snore fest.</p> I get it in 2020. There were very few movies. But cmon. Lotta great non oscar bait stuff this year. I sure hope for newcomers making major impact

Omg, I couldn’t agree more. I thought 2021 would be interesting because of all of the delays, but holy damn this potential BP line-up is filled with musicals, black and white and bait films. Damn, we need a shake-up.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Alessandro Leri
    Topics:

So if it’s his masterpiece, why don’t you think he will win Director or Picture?

Kubrick, Hitchcock, Welles, Malick, Sofia Coppola, McDonagh, Eggers… How many Oscars did they win? Can’t remember 🤔

Profile picture
    Grand Sprites
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonosia/status/1452718333275607046 This guy is so annoying LOL. Using the c-word again. “Major crowdpleaser”, “compared to Lady Bird”, as if we couldn’t get to those conclusions based on the trailer. The problem is that I can’t see this movie getting any acting nominations with those newcomers/non actors leads, and it doesn’t look like a heavy tech movie either and the direction doesn’t scream direction. It will get a BP nomination with only Screenplay and Editing ? I don’t buy.

“Direction doesn’t scream direction”? Because you can tell from a 2-minute trailer.

Underestimate PTA at your own risk. He’s one of the most acclaimed directors still working and relevant. Remember when he got Picture and Director nominations for Phantom Thread with almost zero precursors for either? As long as LP is a Best Picture nominee, he’s getting into Director, and that’s probably more of a sure bet than Villeneuve & Branagh are. It’s too early to say, but he could potentially even win. It baffles me to see so many people here acting like he has something to prove before he can get nominated, like he’s some nobody.

Licorice Pizza had no reason to skip the festival circuit. Licorice Pizza doesn’t have the prestigious pedigree of Phantom Thread which was had Daniel Day-Lewis’ final exit. I would imagine Haim and Cooper Hoffman could have woo’d possible voters at screenings and the press would have heavily pushed PTA’s overdue narrative from interviews and press junkets.

Maybe, but unlike Phantom Thread, it’s getting a limited release in November, so it has plenty of time to build momentum.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Kubrick, Hitchcock, Welles, Malick, Sofia Coppola, McDonagh, Eggers… How many Oscars did they win? Can’t remember 🤔

Coppola won Original Screenplay

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not one of the experts predicting Mass to win 3 Oscars and Thomasin McKenzie to get nominated for Last Night in Soho (as a lone nominee for the film) 💀💀💀. I mean spill I’d love to see it but lol that’s not happening.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Eternals reviews are decent but it won’t be another Black Panther. It’s just a regular Marvel movie.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Dune is such a masterpiece, give it all the awards tbh.

It was good but not a masterpiece, lol

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.