Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 496 through 509 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Zhao, literally had no business making a Marvel movie. NONE. She bit herself in the nail. I can see Zhao doing something like a Dune, big budget unique film but a freaking Marvel movie?

Zhao: Hold my beer (goes to direct Dracula for Universal monster revival)

Yep, she pitcheda futuristic western Dracula to Universal like she pitched Eternals the way of Nomadland to Marvel.

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

I think it’s kinda funny that Eternals has a 71% RT score with a goddamn 6.0 as the average rating. How much more obvious can it get that critics are doing their best to give MCU movies a fresh score? For comparison Last Night in Soho is 74% with a 6.8 average rating, and The French Dispatch is 73% with a 7.1 rating.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I think it’s kinda funny that Eternals has a 71% RT score with a goddamn 6.0 as the average rating. How much more obvious can it get that critics are doing their best to give MCU movies a fresh score? For comparison Last Night in Soho is 74% with a 6.8 average rating, and The French Dispatch is 73% with a 7.1 rating.

If it was a DC movie it’d probably be rotten already.

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

There’s absolutely no doubt.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Frankly if the Eternals is getting the inflation treatment then Last Night in Soho and The French Dispatch should both be in the late 70s and early 80s on Rotten Tomatoes.

The critical favouring the House of Mouse receives is just getting ridiculous at this point.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

There’s absolutely no doubt.

Frankly if the Eternals is getting the inflation treatment then Last Night in Soho and The French Dispatch should both be in the late 70s and early 80s on Rotten Tomatoes. The critical favouring the House of Mouse receives is just getting ridiculous at this point.

All of this. The fix is in. the movie is obviously very bad cause they couldn’t salvage it as something more than a pass but the pass is ridiculous itself. If they think the movie’s bad and they clearly do, they should let that be known. Esepcially since a number of critics and pundits called out this critical favoring/fear of Disney.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Frankly if the Eternals is getting the inflation treatment then Last Night in Soho and The French Dispatch should both be in the late 70s and early 80s on Rotten Tomatoes. The critical favouring the House of Mouse receives is just getting ridiculous at this point.

French Dispatch, Unironically, was distributed by Disney’s Branch (But it was made when its still Fox Searchlight).

In all seriousness, Critics have been only brutally honest towards Disney properties on a very few Occasions, namely Maleficent movies and Alice series (Poor Wasikowska) and Episode IX, which actually deserved way worse than that. The Last Jedi scored 91% on RT despite of how abysimal it was

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Disney tolerates brutally honest reviews for their properies that don’t generate merch and sequels. Such as those abysmal live action adaptations of animated movies. So that creates the false optic of unbiased. You’ll see Marvel fans point at bad reviews for those movies going “see, critics are not bought, they give MCU high marks cause they genuinely love MCU”. But the Mouse doesn’t look kindly upon bad reviews for toy factories which is why critics pull punches. Eternals needs to sell toys for these boring Z list characters so since critics couldn’t say they were as awesome as GOTG, the least they can do is keep an illusion with 70s rating.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Have nothing to add to the Eternals conversation that a million people haven’t already said (I rarely look at RT but damn that inflation is HIGH).

BUT — some folx on here have called The Power of the Dog, Dune, Eternals, Belfast, ALL of them “boring”. If so, what on earth do you think ISN’T boring?

I haven’t seen Eternals, I don’t like Belfast and yes I was bored by it, I think Dune is good & TPOTD a masterpiece but………what do you even like lol, and maybe just maybe…the fact that a film is boring to you doesn’t mean it’s necessarily bad?

Eternals sounds boring because it sounds shallow and superficial: so why something is boring is more important than the fact that you are somehow just really easily bored, no?

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Eternals & Dune making the amazing, wonderful, brilliant point that art-house films have no monopoly on boring. Kind of a moral win for the small indie auteur films of the year lol

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Disney tolerates brutally honest reviews for their properies that don’t generate merch and sequels. Such as those abysmal live action adaptations of animated movies. So that creates the false optic of unbiased. You’ll see Marvel fans point at bad reviews for those movies going “see, critics are not bought, they give MCU high marks cause they genuinely love MCU”. But the Mouse doesn’t look kindly upon bad reviews for toy factories which is why critics pull punches. Eternals needs to sell toys for these boring Z list characters so since critics couldn’t say they were as awesome as GOTG, the least they can do is keep an illusion with 70s rating.

The review from Erick Davis is hilarious, he doesn’t have the guts to say Eternals is bad, he just said is something different, lol.

Profile picture
    kingfan011
    Topics:

I want Licorice Pizza screening leaks

Profile picture
    mporter455
    Topics:

Whew you all are already really beating the Eternals topic to death even though it’s not even out yet and none of you have seen it. Just stop talking about it, it’s likely not gonna be in contention for any category’s bc it’s getting mixed reviews, and this is a thread for BP and BD, so just move on sheesh

Profile picture
    T3B
    Topics:

@MD

Nothing to do with the actual comment, but I just love the use of that MEDIOCRE.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 14 posts - 496 through 509 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.