Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 509 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I would like to point out my comment was unrelated to your The Lost Daughter assertions. It was basically a thought I’ve been having and not really a rebuttal haha. I think The Lost Daughter will play very well with BAFTA and will make it in Best Film and win Adapted Screenplay. It’s not necessarily a British film but the British pedigree and auteur craftsmanship that is likely to appeal to British sensibilities will push it to Best Picture at the Oscars. I just hope the film doesn’t get Carol’d when Oscar nomination morning occurs.

Ah, fair. Yep I agree with all of that! WI hope it doesn’t get Carol’d but whichever films does I suspect it would be a Ma Rainey type, one that has been overestimated. Carol was also… a while ago, I’d like to think it would get in now? I do think that apropos to our previous conversations on this thread, it’s the small films like these that are being underrated on here. I mean lol the late films are still ALL top 10 and the trailers are nowhere near good enough to justify that faith compared to films with 88 MC! (Or in Spencer‘s case, 84)

Also it’s interesting to me that The Lost Daughter, like TPOTD, is not just a slow indie character drama, it’s more or less a thriller character drama (it’s very very thrilling at times! That’s why Johnson did such a brilliant job, she’s like the detective of this film’s mystery).

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

The last (?) of 2021’s contenders will finally be putting something official on the table.

Amazon is going to be releasing its three biggest awards contenders (A Hero, The Tender Bar, Being the Ricardos) almost simultaneously in the last half of December – we will see how that bunch-up works out for the company.

null

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I agree about “The Lost Daughter” as a possible 9th or 10th spot in BP. I think that the allure of an Elena Ferrante adaptation should not be underestimated. Americans love her and respect her (even more than Italians to be honest). Plus, watching the trailer I realized that the European setting will encourage more people to watch the movie out of curiosity.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Finally Neon adds The Worst Person in the World to its main site. Release date still TBA, though.

Twoitw

And the page for Petite Maman is unavailable now. Perhaps indicating a strategy switch, as its U.S. release is also currently undated.

FYI a U.K. trailer for Petite Maman was recently posted by Mubi. It opens there Nov. 19.

FYC

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

you know what I love about this film? Everyone is raving a different actor from the four, primarily Dowd, Isaac, and Plimpton. Each of you guys are raving about each of those 3 and focusing on just one overall. I need to see it already.
    Sounds like an acting masterpiece

I know this is controversial but……. I didn’t love the movie. It’s GOOD. But it’s also stagey and full of actorly tics that frankly annoyed me a little. I think that’s why Plimpton (and then Birney) was my favorite—she just…WAS. She didn’t pack it in with any shtick, I felt like I was following her as a real person the most, which is funny because her and Birney are arguably the most unsympathetic. Dowd….. I just DO NOT get how people can be predicting her to win when she has such a strong co-star. I think her last monologue is fantastic, but then Plimpton does something that felt FAR more realistic and I realized how scripted that monologue felt in that moment.

As a debut film, it’s fantastic. Fran Kranz has a bright future. But it is very much a debut film. I applaud him for making such a WATCHABLE film from such subject matter, but there were many things that just took me out of the story and the script…. and I hate to say this, but the more “sympathetic” characters (Dowd, Isaacs I guess?) were a little grating. I freaking LOVE Dowd, but she was thinking way too much. I expected something more natural from someone who delivered THAT INCREDIBLE monologue, her last one in The Leftovers S2, but instead got it from Plimpton.

Go ahead, h8 on me, I appreciated it, Dowd is perfectly nod-worthy, I just don’t understand why or how we expect her to be the one who is the only one who runs away with critics groups :/

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

So, who’s going to win DGA First Feature?

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

So, who’s going to win DGA First Feature?

Goddam I would NOT be able to choose. Maybe I’d choose Hall just because I think Passing needs the bigger boost.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Branagh in 2019 after “Roma” almost won BP…

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Goddam I would NOT be able to choose. Maybe I’d choose Hall just because I think Passing needs the bigger boost.

A Hall-Gyllenhaal faceoff it would appear. Netflix has at least five contenders for this prize.

I’n hopeful that Bentley gets a nom.

Rebecca Hall, Passing
    Maggie Gyllenhaal, The Lost Daughter
    Lin-Manuel Miranda, Tick, Tick… BOOM!
    Clint Bentley, Jockey
    Fran Kranz, Mass
    Halle Berry, Bruised
    Jeymes Samuel, The Harder They Fall
    Michael Sarnoski, Pig
    Edson Oda, Nine Days
    Valdimar Jóhannsson, Lamb
    Benjamin Cleary, Swan Song

FYC

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

The last (?) of 2021’s contenders will finally be putting something official on the table. Amazon is going to be releasing its three biggest awards contenders (A Hero, The Tender Bar, Being the Ricardos) almost simultaneously in the last half of December – we will see how that bunch-up works out for the company. null

Of all the films yet to be released this year, I think Being the Ricardos has the best chance at pulling off a fourth-quarter upset. With its subject matter, star material, freshness in voters’ minds — and the fact that there doesn’t seem to be an across-the-board rally behind any specific film yet —, the preferential ballot could very well be it’s darling.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Being The Ricardos is not winning Best Picture and Sorkin will be rightfully “snubbed” again.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Finally Neon adds The Worst Person in the World to its main site. Release date still TBA, though. Twoitw

😍😍😍

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Being The Ricardos is not winning Best Picture and Sorkin will be rightfully “snubbed” again.

“rightfully”? The fuck is wrong with you ? Pathetic as fuck

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

No one is talking about The Harder They Fall receiving an Ensemble tribute at the Gotham Awards. In a place where The Humans and Mass were eligible.

The Trial of the Chicago 7, The Favourite, Spotlight, Foxcatcher are some of the previous winners.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Belfast won the Middleberg Film Festival audience award

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.