Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 509 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Matt neglia, Erick Weber from Awards ace, Scott Menzel and Daniel Howat from Next best picture hosted a Twitter space today to discuss their review of Eternals and all 4 of them mutually agreed that it would not be an awards contender. They also had a lot of bad things to say about the film

yep – the clear overriding takeaway from the honest responses is it’s a whiff.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Matt neglia, Erick Weber from Awards ace, Scott Menzel and Daniel Howat from Next best picture hosted a Twitter space today to discuss their review of Eternals and all 4 of them mutually agreed that it would not be an awards contender. They also had a lot of bad things to say about the film

Do you have the link to those discussions? Or screen caps or quotes. Very curious why Feige thought this was his Oscar ticket since at least those 4 pundits think otherwise. And apparently not just that it isn’t a contender but that it isn’t very good either. That on top of Ruimy.

Profile picture
    HAL 9000
    Topics:

yep – the clear overriding takeaway from the honest responses is it’s a whiff.

I was honestly surprised hearing them talk in the space, they were saying Gemma couldn’t carry a film on her own, that the character Sprite was straight up cringe worthy, that the humor was off and action scenes were pointless, performances were bad etc.

But none of these were mentioned in any of the tweet reactions. I guess pundits and critics are actually scared of Marvel lmao

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Does Nicole Kidman have any chance to get in for best actress?

I think it’s a very big possibility. Best Actress isn’t crowded this year, and it looks like she’ll give a powerhouse performance.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    HAL 9000
    Topics:

Do you have the link to those discussions? Or screen caps or quotes. Very curious why Feige thought this was his Oscar ticket since at least those 4 pundits think otherwise. And apparently not just that it isn’t a contender but that it isn’t very good either. That on top of Ruimy.

It was a Twitter space where they were talking via audio. Maybe someone recorded it. They had a lot to say but my above comment is some things I remember from listening to them.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Perhaps Feige overestimated the outcome of meshing Chloe Zhao’s filmmaking with the MCU house style. Looks to be a mismatch, unlike, say, when indie duo Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck (Half Nelson) delivered the goods on Captain Marvel.

FYC

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

This looks like a crowd pleaser!

Great, a crowd pleaser. We were in dire need of another one.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Will Bardem go officially for Supporting, or will he actually try Lead??

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Will Bardem go officially for Supporting, or will he actually try Lead??

That teaser made it appear that everyone else was there mainly to provide reaction shots in the presence of Lucille Ball. Looked a bit … limited from that evidence. Amazon, though, will be pushing to get The Tender Bar’s Affleck in the less tightly crowded supporting race, so will Amazon face the far steeper odds of getting Bardem into the lead category or go for nabbing two supporting slots for the studio (sorry, J.K. Simmons).

FYC

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Well. It’s better than a sad depressing movie. Really excited for Nicole Kidman

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I was honestly surprised hearing them talk in the space, they were saying Gemma couldn’t carry a film on her own, that the character Sprite was straight up cringe worthy, that the humor was off and action scenes were pointless, performances were bad etc. But none of these were mentioned in any of the tweet reactions. I guess pundits and critics are actually scared of Marvel lmao

They are and I have no doubt that Eternals will get the usual 80-90% RT reviews when all is said and done. if terrible BW and mediocre Shang Chi with its dud of a leading man could get away, Eternals certainly will with all the prestige attached to it. critics will fall in line.

That said, I’m very curious to see why this movie managed to break the sycophantic contitioning at least among those 4 pundits + Ruimy. Cause not only they aren’t doing the usual apologetic song and dance when an Oscar hopeful is NOPEful (“it’s still a great movie and will make tons of money but…”), they are saying flat out it’s a bad movie. Could it be that feige’s relentless bragging raised expectations that weren’t met thus making impression the movie is worse for wear? or is it really – gasp – bad?

Perhaps Feige overestimated the outcome of meshing Chloe Zhao’s filmmaking with the MCU house style. Looks to be a mismatch, unlike, say, when indie duo Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck (Half Nelson) delivered the goods on Captain Marvel.

That’s sarcasm right? Captain Marvel is low-tier Marvel. Feige let that duo go (they are collecting paycheck on D+) and hired brand new writing-directing team for the sequel.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Official poster for Being the Ricardos. Is it just me, or does the Photoshop work look a little… off?

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Yeah, definitely that retouch was a choice. It makes them look a little like cartoons in a Pixar movie lol

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

That’s sarcasm right? Captain Marvel is low-tier Marvel.

It’s much more entertaining than BW, Shang-Chi or, so it seems, Eternals.

Also…
    Global box office – $1.128 billion

FYC

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.