Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 14)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 496 through 502 (of 502 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kbc
kaziz
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

From some Licorice Pizza reviews on Letterboxd, it looks like Hofmann’s character is indeed 15 year old in the film, while Haim’s character is 25.

I think this will definitely be a problem, unless there’s a dark and nuanced take on it like Phantom Thread and A Teacher, but it doesn’t seem to be the case considering they’re calling the movie “sweet”. Mank had really ugly backlash because of Oldman and Middleton’s age gap.

I mean, did anyone talk about the 17-24 difference in Call Me By Your Name?

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

From some Licorice Pizza reviews on Letterboxd, it looks like Hofmann’s character is indeed 15 year old in the film, while Haim’s character is 25. I think this will definitely be a problem, unless there’s a dark and nuanced take on it like Phantom Thread and A Teacher, but it doesn’t seem to be the case considering they’re calling the movie “sweet”. Mank had really ugly backlash because of Oldman and Middleton’s age gap.

It’ll definitely be a problem. I’ve read that the movie it’s a little bit weird and has a “surprising” ending too, so we’ll see what’s the final take of that relationship. I’ve also read about racist jokes…

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Yes, especially as Chalamet at 21 looked young for his actual age (still does imo) and Hammer at 31 was not that convincing playing a younger character. Absent that amazing Stuhlbarg monologue that dynamically tied so much together (he was robbed of a nom), I think the film’s content might have been even more unsettling for some.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    themisnnemesis
    Topics:

Personally I think a difference like 17-24 isn’t significative.

But, yes, I read complaints about the age gap, especially because Armie Hammer was and looked much older.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

A lot of people talked about it, actually. And the movie arguably underperformed. The Screenplay win was more because James Ivory had an overdue narrative and the category was weak.

Anyway, it was 5 years ago. A lot has changed.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Call Me By Your Name aged like milk, not only because of Hammer…

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

It’ll definitely be a problem. I’ve read that the movie it’s a little bit weird and has a “surprising” ending too, so we’ll see what’s the final take of that relationship. I’ve also read about racist jokes…

This is an interesting backdrop for the fact that neither Paul Thomas Anderson nor any of the cast will be repping Licorice Pizza at the L.A. Contenders event this month, just three BTL contenders. Rare move – Apple/A24’s The Tragedy of Macbeth is also bringing in only key BTL contenders, but almost every other participating film is offering up performers or directors. WB has no cast from Dune or King Richard, and the same with Focus’s Belfast, but their directors are going. Ditto Netflix’s Don’t Look Up and, perhaps less surprisingly, Amazon’s A Hero.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 7 posts - 496 through 502 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.