Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 15)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 496 through 499 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
kbc
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Best Picture nominees with no acting nominations in the past decade: (There’s at least one every year)

Ford v Ferrari: Heavy tech movie, won two tech categories
    1917: Heavy tech movie, Best Director nominee, three tech categories, Ensemble piece
    Parasite: Best Picture/Director, Screenplay winner, foreign movie, Production Design/Editing nominee

2018:
    Black Panther: Heavy tech movie (not really, but for reason it won three).

Dunkirk: Heavy tech movie, Best Director nominee, won three tech categories, Ensemble piece

Arrival: Heavy tech movie, Best Director/Screenplay nominee

Mad Max: Fury Road: Heavy tech movie, Best Director nominee

The Grand Budapest Hotel: Heavy tech movie, Best Director nominee, Ensemble piece
    Selma

Her: Screenplay nominee

Life of Pi: Heavy tech movie, Screenplay nominee, Best Director winner

The Tree of Life: Best Director nominee
    War Horse: Heavy tech movie
    Midnight in Paris: Screenplay winner, Best Director nominee
    Hugo: Heavy tech movie, best Director nominee, Screenplay nominee

2010:
    Inception: Heavy tech movie, Screenplay nominee

No Screenplay nomination:
    Ford v Ferrari, Dunkirk, Mad Max: Fury Road, Selma, War Horse, The Tree of Life

We all know why Ava DuVernay and David Oyelowo got snubbed so we shouldn’t take it in consideration.

It bodes well for Dune, but it could always end going in the Interstellar path.

It doesn’t bode well for Licorice Pizza, as it’s not a heavy tech movie and it probably won’t get acting nominations (No, Alana Haim is not happening). The closest comparisons could be Midnight in Paris and Her, but both still got Production Design nominations. Her got an Original Score nomination

“Her” was a also sci fi/post cyberpunk movie, and that’s why Joaquin got snubbed, but the screenplay was extremely detailed, bold and innovative

So if you’re predicting Licorice Pizza to get a Best Picture nomination, you should predict tech nominations for the movie as well.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Divisiveness is not as important seeing as PYW had no problem getting in and people were screaming ‘divisive’ about that one too. But PYW was very topical going with with the “Me Too” zeitgeist. The thing is besides Actress and Screenplay what other categories can it get in? I think these two nominations are its peak and that’s perfectly fine. And the comparison with The Father kind of falls flat to me. The Father was way baitier, had Anthony Freaking Hopkins delivering a tour de force performance that simply wasn’t missing, it could also get into Supporting Actress, Editing and Production Design.

The comparison with PYW is apt. It really isn’t that divisive, it’s…daring. But not in some kind of OMG HOW TABOO pearl-clutching kind of way. Some people will dislike what it’s saying but it is…daring! And extremely well-done, so I don’t see why it can’t follow a PYW route.

Sure, to my surprise, Passing is nowhere near as divisive as I thought it’d be. Honestly having seen it I’m not sure The Lost Daughter will be either. It’s current, and it’s hardly some hugely radical thing, it’s something very real and raw and gutsy. That’s all.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

So if you’re predicting Licorice Pizza to get a Best Picture nomination, you should predict tech nominations for the movie as well.

Probably applies to all the late breakers. People are praising Being the Ricardos in all the techs, which is odd, but c’mon… it’s already super competitive! I think it’s a Screenplay and possibly more above-the-line player, but it’s hardly a tech player. HoG and West Side Story are likely to be the only late breakers which are somewhat big with techs and they can do that without BP noms… (and I think that’s what’s gonna happen actually). Nightmare Alley too.

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

But PYW was very topical going with with the “Me Too” zeitgeist. The thing is besides Actress and Screenplay what other categories can it get in?

When will a daring look on motherhood not be topical? It’s a very feminist story, and one that perhaps couldn’t be told even 5 or 10 years ago. Just because it’s not a #MeToo kind of film doesn’t mean it can’t follow that path.

And yeah honestly we were saying basically the same thing about PYW last year at this time: Actress & Screenplay max, and many were also just thinking Actress!

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 4 posts - 496 through 499 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.