Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kbc
kaziz
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

“The National Board of Review announced today that it will hold its annual Awards Gala on Tuesday, January 11, 2022.”

National Board of Review Announces Gala Date

Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

I think that Joachim Trier is a strong contender for the 5th place in the best director category. The Worst Person in The World is getting raves

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

I think that Joachim Trier is a strong contender for the 5th place in the best director category. The Worst Person in The World is getting raves

Would love to see that, and an original-screenplay nom too, and i’ve long been hopedicting Renate Reinsve.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

“The National Board of Review announced today that it will hold its annual Awards Gala on Tuesday, January 11, 2022.” https://nationalboardofreview.org/2021/06/national-board-of-review-announces-gala-date/embed/#?secret=QlhEar8UjW

So no nominations on the 30th?

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

If I’m not mistaken, they have never announced nominees. Straight go to winners.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Well it’s not nominations, but winners they were to announce on Nov. 30, the January ceremony is traditionally when the winners receive the actual prizes.

But NBR has no posted reference to the awards-winner announcement date as they had previously set so….. maybe it’s now up in the air?

FYC

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Ok, after watching House of Gucci I set where I’m rooting. That was delicious.

FYC: Memoria and House of Gucci for Best Picture

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Don’t know if there’s a thread for animated films, but I saw Encanto and loved it. For me, it’s the best animated Disney movie of the year. I hope it wins the Oscar.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jblikesmovies/status/1463250100004823046

They deleted the November 30 date from their Twitter. They’re totally going to delay it. Sasha Stone was probably right.

I knew they weren’t going to give a Spielberg movie a pass.

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Wasn’t there Dec 2nd date announced? I think on Next Best Picture or smth.

FYC: Memoria and House of Gucci for Best Picture

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

So right now we’re only waiting for Nightmare Alley reactions, a movie GDT possibly hasn’t even finished. I wonder how long before that screens.

Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

So right now we’re only waiting for Nightmare Alley reactions, a movie GDT possibly hasn’t even finished. I wonder how long before that screens.

Wednesday

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

NY Mag/Vulture Oscar Futures Weekly Update

Keeps almost all his official predix the same except for bumping CODA out of BP for DLU

Best Picture
    Up: Don’t Look Up
    Clayton Davis hints that, annoyance-wise, DLU may skew closer to Vice than The Big Short. Regardless, Adam McKay’s brand of smartypants satire has proven to be the exception to the Academy’s general aversion to humor. With Nightmare Alley and West Side Story also set to bow in a few weeks, December is going to be a crowded month for Best Picture hopefuls. Is there room for all of them?
    Even: King Richard
    On one hand, it’s not ideal for a purported crowdpleaser when those crowds do not show up. On the other, everything that’s not based on beloved IP has struggled this fall, and a human-scaled drama like KR is most liable to see its box office cannibalized by HBO Max. The movie’s A Cinemascore is a sign that those who do see the film are enjoying it, so KR may yet rally.
    Predix: BTR/Bfast/DLU/Dune/KR/LP/
    LostDaughter/NA/POTD/WSS
    In: Don’t Look Up
    Out: CODA

Director
    Up: Adam McKay
    While McKay is up against plenty of big-name auteurs, Oscar history suggests it’s them who should be worried about him — particularly as Davis calls DLU the strongest of his recent work.
    Down: Ridley Scott
    Scott blamed the failure of The Last Duel on “the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cell phones,” setting off yet another round of Millennial (or as he put it, “Millennian”) discourse. The micro-controversy was the perfect distraction from House of Gucci’s middling reviews, many of which ding Scott for failing to craft a compelling take on the juicy material.
    Predix: PTA/Branagh/Campion/
    Larrain/Villeneuve
    no changes

Actor
    Up: Leonardo DiCaprio
    You have to go back to The Great Gatsby to find the last time Leo starred in a movie and did not get nominated for an Oscar, though there are suggestions his part is more head of the ensemble than scene-dominating lead.
    Even: Will Smith
    Last week I noted that, if any actor had the stamina to get through the six-month marathon of self-promotion that is the Oscar race, it was Smith. As if on cue, this week yet another tidbit from his memoir about weird sex stuff went viral… I’m not sure how all these headlines will affect his chances.
    Predix:Cumberbatch/Garfield/
    Rex/Smith/Washington
    no changes

Actress
    Up: Jennifer Lawrence
    It wasn’t so long ago that J.Law was on one of the great Oscar runs: four nominations in six years, plus one win. She’s top billed in her new film, though the role might be more of a charisma play than an actorly showcase. … Will the Academy welcome her back into the club anyway?
    Up: Tessa Thompson
    It’s roundtable season! She made it into the Hollywood Reporter actress roundtable alongside some names attached to splashier projects. Buzz for her has been building since Passing hit Netflix, and some free facetime is just the thing a modest, minor-key performance needs to build momentum. A win at Monday’s Gotham Awards would be even sweeter.
    Predix: Colman/Cruz/Gaga/
    Kidman/Stewart
    no changes

Supporting Actor
    Up: Jared Leto
    This may not be the best performance in this race, but it’s certainly the biggest.
    Up: Richard Jenkins
    The Humans is a tiny, critically acclaimed ensemble piece that could make some noise in the supporting categories — provided, of course, enough voters manage to see it. That may prove difficult: It is only playing on Showtime and in extremely limited release. Hopefully the A24 cachet and stellar reviews will be enough to get The Humans into the race.
    Predix:
    Dornan/Hinds/Jenkins/
    Leto/Smit-McPhee
    no changes

Supporting Actress
    Down: Meryl Streep
    The clips we have seen indicate a broadly comedic performance in the vein of her Mary Poppins Returns cameo, and the post-screening reports have done little to dispel that notion, with more praise going to Cate Blanchett’s turn as a Botoxed cable-news anchor.
    Up: Kirsten Dunst
    She was the only supporting-actress contender invited to the THR actress roundtable. Consider it a sign of her elevated stature in this race. Though she has plenty of competition from Aunjanue Ellis, Caitriona Balfe & Judi Dench, Dunst also has the benefit of 20 years of movie stardom on her side.
    Predix: Balfe/Dench/Dunst/
    Ellis/Negga
    no changes

FYC

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Who writes these pieces for Vulture? He/she is so much better than Clayton Davis.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Who writes these pieces for Vulture? He/she is so much better than Clayton Davis.

FYC

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.