Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kbc
kaziz
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Lol at the Richard Jenkins predictions. We’re almost at December!

The Humans is not getting anything when A24 doesn’t care about it and is dumping it on Showtime without any promotion. The movie itself is not Oscar material.

Gothams also ignored it completely.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Not Jared Leto going up….

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

by

Lol at the Richard Jenkins predictions. We’re almost at December!

The Humans is not getting anything when A24 doesn’t care about it and is dumping it on Showtime without any promotion. The movie itself is not Oscar material.

Gothams also ignored it completely.

Yep – here I part with Vulture and Anne Thompson / I think Jeffrey Wright, among others, has a better shot at a nom than Jenkins rn.

In addition, I find it unlikely that Lost Daughter will get a BP nom over Spencer but then Gyllenhaal gets passed over in BD in favor of Larrain, as Vulture sees it. Anne Thompson now has Spencer making BP, but not Lost Daughter, and has neither Larrain nor Gyllenhaal making BD. Her choice of Almodovar to make the cut for BD seems more likely imo than either Larrain or Gyllenhaal rn. (And I think Parallel Mothers has a much stronger shot at a BP nom than either Spencer or Lost Daughter.)

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The Lost Daughter is plenty strong, it hasn’t even peaked yet—it’s out on Netflix end of this year. Very strong in fact—it’s just that I also think Passing is possible and it’s gonna be one of those. Spencer is also perfectly possible. Their blithe dismissal is what happens when you unreasonably overload your plate onto late breakers & “crowd-pleasers” and do not account for critics groups—but whatever, in even 2 weeks from now this will become clearer. I think Vulture predicting The Lost Daughter makes perfect sense.

It’s the West Side Story prediction that is sending me.

And re: The Humans being “dumped”—man, we get to WATCH IT. And why isn’t it “Oscar material”!? It’s really good! Jenkins is really wonderful, everybody else is great and nobody stands out (I’d argue Feldstein does) but Jenkins certainly does.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I always LOL at predictions that have all 4 Belfast stars getting in, though. Yeaaaaaaah, no. Not even that silly Sunset Pundits Circle nominated more than 2.

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

The Lost Daughter is plenty strong, it hasn’t even peaked yet—it’s out on Netflix end of this year. Very strong in fact—it’s just that I also think Passing is possible and it’s gonna be one of those. Spencer is also perfectly possible. Their blithe dismissal is what happens when you unreasonably overload your plate onto late breakers & “crowd-pleasers” and do not account for critics groups—but whatever, in even 2 weeks from now this will become clearer. I think Vulture predicting The Lost Daughter makes perfect sense.

I think critics groups, on the whole, are going to favour Parallel Mothers / which also has yet to peak / over both Spencer and The Lost Daughter, which is why Anne Thompson’s predix of PM nominations in BP, BD, best actress and screenplay make the most sense to me / I don’t think either Spencer or Lost Daughter are as likely to manage that.

I would like to see Passing overperform current consensus and score even in BP and BD – perhaps a big Monday at the Gothams can start it down the path.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I always LOL at predictions that have all 4 Belfast stars getting in, though. Yeaaaaaaah, no. Not even that silly Sunset Pundits Circle nominated more than 2.

Yeah, I’m predicting an ultimate Dornan and Dench snub for both Supporting categories (I’m partly predicting it for the former because I want it to happen, but I also have more pragmatic reasons behind it, as well), while Hinds and Balfe make it in and are potentially win-competitive.

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think critics groups, on the whole, are going to favour Parallel Mothers / which also has yet to peak / over both Spencer and The Lost Daughter, which is why Anne Thompson’s predix of PM nominations in BP, BD, best actress and screenplay make the most sense to me / I don’t think either Spencer or Lost Daughter are as likely to manage that.

I would like to see Passing overperform current consensus and score even in BP and BD – perhaps a big Monday at the Gothams can start it down the path.

I mean… I wouldn’t dislike that at all, it’s a perfectly good movie.

I’ve sort of always suspected that with the bajillion screeners they have, many AMPAS members vote based on the lists and buzz they see from fave critics and journos. Which is why none of these 4 are likely to be unseen. Something like The Humans — yeah, very possibly.

But not Passing, not with the ink it’s getting from NYTimes and New Yorker, and I really should stress: it’s the one film that’s gotten the most “prestige” critic backing (like….. Richard Brody isn’t giving other things 100s!)

And not the other 3 either, because they have pedigree and Best Actress contenders. Pablo Larrain’s buzz is more now that it was with Jackie, Almodovar…I dunno? Let’s see? Almodovar is tricky because it’s always more about his politics. And not in English. The writers branch loves him, but they’ll love Passing and The Lost Daughter too (venerated authors, acclaimed adaptations). I don’t know, but it IS somewhat about buzz and critics groups now.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yeah, I’m predicting an ultimate Dornan and Dench snub for both Supporting categories (I’m partly predicting it for the former because I want it to happen, but I also have more pragmatic reasons behind it, as well), while Hinds and Balfe make it in and are potentially win-competitive.

Dench, I just have trouble seeing. It’s a very competitive year in the category, and I don’t even know how Balfe seemingly does enough but clearly she does so she’s in but with all that competition, I just don’t see it for both of them. Basically, yep same as what you said, but if 3 made it in, I…kinda think Dench will be the snub instead of Dornan just based on how the category is SO STACKED.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I currently have “Spencer” and “The Lost Daughter” in my BP predictions, because I don’t have faith in “West Side Story” (or any other musical this year). “Parallel Mothers” is a good movie, but it would have to be stronger in my opinion to make it in BP and BD like Anne Thompson hopes. There is a subplot that even though it’s about Spanish recent history is very relevant everywhere. I hope viewers aren’t getting scared that they don’t know enough about Spanish history and get this part because it’s what ties the movie at the end with a ribbon. We’ll see if critics pick it.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Passing’s best chance of nominations lies in supporting and screenplay. Don’t see it happening outside of those unless the GG throws it a few lifelines.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Did anyone know a new Macbeth teaser was released yesterday? This movie’s buzz is so muted.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Well whenever NBR does release their winners, here are my predictions!

Best Film – Licorice Pizza
    Best Director – Paul Thomas Anderson, Licorice Pizza
    Best Actor – Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress – Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
    Best Supporting Actor – Jared Leto, House of Gucci
    Best Supporting Actress – Ruth Negga, Passing
    Best Original Screenplay – C’mon C’mon
    Best Adapted Screenplay – The Power of the Dog
    Breakthrough Performance – Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
    Best Directorial Debut – Maggie Gyllenhaal, The Lost Daughter
    Best Ensemble – Don’t Look Up
    Top Ten Films – C’mon C’mon, Don’t Look Up, Dune, The Humans, King Richard, The Last Duel, Passing, The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Well whenever NBR does release their winners, here are my predictions!

Best Film – Licorice Pizza
    Best Director – Paul Thomas Anderson, Licorice Pizza
    Best Actor – Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress – Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
    Best Supporting Actor – Jared Leto, House of Gucci
    Best Supporting Actress – Ruth Negga, Passing
    Best Original Screenplay – C’mon C’mon
    Best Adapted Screenplay – The Power of the Dog
    Breakthrough Performance – Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
    Best Directorial Debut – Maggie Gyllenhaal, The Lost Daughter
    Best Ensemble – Don’t Look Up
    Top Ten Films – C’mon C’mon, Don’t Look Up, Dune, The Humans, King Richard, The Last Duel, Passing, The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Tragedy of Macbeth

If Benedict wins this Award he isn’t winning the Oscar, lol

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

If Benedict wins this Award he isn’t winning the Oscar, lol

Don’t they have a history of not awarding the actors that eventually go on to win Oscars? The most recent one they got right was Brad Pitt for OUATIH.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.