Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
kbc
kaziz
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I’m bored, so I looked up the number of people who have logged the following movies on LB. Of course, they have different release dates and I don’t count movies that have yet to come out like TPOTD or “The Lost Daughter”:

Mass 4.9k

The “Belfast” numbers are equally embarrassing for what is supposed to be a frontrunner, but “Mass” is abysmal.

Mass was released in October and has yet to cross the 1K votes on IMDb. An abysmal amount of 978 people have voted so far. Add that to its disastrous BO performance (145k), and you have one of the biggest tanks of the year. I honestly don’t know how Bleecker Street hasn’t decided to release it on VOD until now. Literally NO ONE has seen this movie. It’s a shame cause I honestly LOVE this cast but this is just an absolute disaster.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I honestly don’t know how Bleecker Street hasn’t decided to release it on VOD until now.

Exactly!

Profile picture
    AjayLopez25
    Topics:

my Oscars 2022 Best Picture

top 10

Belfast – Focus Features

Mass – Bleecker Street

Dune – Warner Bros.

The Power Of The Dog – Netflix

King Richard – Warner Bros.

Spencer – Neon

The Tragedy Of Macbeth – A24 / Apple TV+

House Of Gucci – MGM

Nightmare Alley – Searchlight Pictures

Tick, Tick Boom – Netflix

next-in-line

Pig – Neon

Licorice Pizza – MGM

CODA – Apple TV+

Passing – Netflix

The French Dispatch – Searchlight Pictures

In The Heights – Warner Bros.

Annette – Amazon Studios

Being The Ricardos – Amazon Studios

West Side Story – 20th Century Studios

The Green Knight – A24

followed by

The Eyes Of Tammy Faye – Searchlight Pictures

Swan Song – Apple TV+

Don’t Look Up – Netflix

The Worst Person In The World – Neon

Cyrano – MGM

Titane – Neon

The Hand Of God – Netflix

A Hero – Amazon Studios

Encanto – Walt Disney

Bruised – Netflix

other contenders

C’mon C’mon – A24

Benedetta – IFC Films

Luca – Walt Disney

Respect – MGM

Last Night In Soho – Focus Features

Flee – Neon

The Lost Daughter – Netflix

Red Rocket – A24

The Last Duel – 20th Century Studios

Cruella – Disney+

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings – Walt Disney

Dear Evan Hansen – Universal Pictures

The Tender Bar – Amazon Studios

Belle – GKIDS

Jockey – Sony Pictures Classics

The Harder They Fall – Netflix

Parallel Mothers – Sony Pictures Classics

Zola – A24

Lamb – A24

The Humans – A24 / Showtime

The Duke – Sony Pictures Classics

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie – Amazon Studios

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Mass was released in October and has yet to cross the 1K votes on IMDb. An abysmal amount of 978 people have voted so far. Add that to its disastrous BO performance (140k), and you have one of the biggest tanks of the year. I honestly don’t know how Bleecker Street hasn’t decided to release it on VOD until now. Literally NO ONE has seen this movie. It’s a shame cause I honestly LOVE this cast but this is just an absolute disaster.

Spill, I wanna watch it so bad yet Bleecker wants to hide it from humanity. It’s ridiculous not to release digitally at this point.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

. IMDB is the best, except for movies that star women and POC. That’s why I have settled with Rotten Tomatoes.

I checked the numbers on IMDB. The numbers are lower, but “The Last Duel” and “CODA” would move up a few positions and “Respect” as well. The rest is the same.

Dune 352k
    The Green Knight 64k
    Last Night in Soho 43k
    The French Dispatch 30k
    CODA 25k
    The Last Duel 24k
    Titane 18k
    Tick tick Boom 16k
    Annette 12k
    Spencer 12k
    King Richard 12k
    Respect 8.1k
    House of Gucci 6.3k
    Passing 5.8 k
    The Eyes of Tammy Faye 4.3k
    Belfast 2.9k
    Mass 1k

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I checked the numbers on IMDB. The numbers are lower, but “The Last Duel” and “CODA” would move up a few positions and “Respect” as well. The rest is the same. Dune 352k The Green Knight 64k Last Night in Soho 43k The French Dispatch 30k CODA 25k The Last Duel 24k Titane 18k Tick tick Boom 16k Annette 12k Spencer 12k King Richard 12k Respect 8.1k House of Gucci 6.3k Passing 5.8 k The Eyes of Tammy Faye 4.3k Belfast 2.9k Mass 1k

I love The Green Knight so much. Hope it win Gotham awards.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

Mass was released in October and has yet to cross the 1K votes on IMDb. An abysmal amount of 978 people have voted so far. Add that to its disastrous BO performance (145k), and you have one of the biggest tanks of the year. I honestly don’t know how Bleecker Street hasn’t decided to release it on VOD until now. Literally NO ONE has seen this movie. It’s a shame cause I honestly LOVE this cast but this is just an absolute disaster.

Yeah, not to complain about first-world problems, but I hate that I cannot see this until, what, January? Is that when it comes out on VOD? An absolute mess.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Yeah, not to complain about first-world problems, but I hate that I cannot see this until, what, January? Is that when it comes out on VOD? An absolute mess.

I- 💀💀💀

Bleecker Street jail pls. I can’t.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I don’t take imdb ratings seriously, but why is Passing 6.6/10? I heard AwardsWatch panelists complain that the actresses are not “really white passing”, is that really a common complaint about the movie? I didn’t know that’s what people were focusing on (instead of the substance of the movie).

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I don’t take imdb ratings seriously, but why is Passing 6.6/10? I heard AwardsWatch panelists complain that the actresses are not “really white passing”, is that really a common complaint about the movie? I didn’t know that’s what people were focusing on (instead of the substance of the movie).

Trolls will review bomb any movie starring women and POC

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

And any person complaining about Ruth Negga not being “white passing” is straight up DUMB, STUPID.

That’s the whole fucking point of the movie, and the point of the cinematography.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Just saw Mike Mills’s C’mon, C’mon – there are a few “dead spots” where the movie is too slow but overall it’s an excellent movie. The boy is fantastic (and is a lead) and Joaquin Phoenix is exceptionally good, along with Gaby Hoffman and the actor who plays Paul, the bipolar dad-husband (he does great work with pretty much no heard dialogue). The black and white camera work is gorgeous, particularly the establishing shots of each of the cities – this film has tons of different locations outdoors and indoors. The interviews with the children are all fascinating. While the movie isn’t perfect it’s certainly very close to perfect. Phoenix could get a nomination, he is certainly better than you know who, and this could get Mills another Original Screenplay nomination too. Grade: A-

Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

More and more I’m convinced Nightmare Alley could take Picture/Director/Screenplay. There’s not enough passion for Belfast or King Richard, and The Power of the Dog and Licorice Pizza both seem like they might leave audiences cold (albeit not as cold as some would tell you). That leaves a perfect opportunity for Nightmare Alley to come in and sweep, assuming it’s upper-tier del Toro and not another Crimson Peak.

If Nightmare Alley isn’t received that warmly I don’t know what will happen. Maybe Don’t Look Up could win Picture & Screenplay while Campion or PTA wins Director? Maybe The Power of the Dog or Licorice Pizza could prove their detractors wrong and win despite their divisive nature? Maybe the pundits are right and Belfast actually is winning after all? I don’t know. Anyone who says there’s an obvious frontrunner right now is fooling themselves, I think. But maybe Nightmare Alley could be it? We’ll just have to wait and see.

I agree, Del Toro won BP with ”Shape of Water” and it was handicapped by the Sci-Fi genre … I bet he wins about 4-5 oscars including BP

The voters like movies about ”Showbiz” even if its the dark and sleazy underbelly ; they also like retro movies set in the 1930-40s ..moreover, a Film Noir seems to fit the gloomy, pessimistic zeitgeist !

It’s also true that there’s no outstanding movie out there so NA could win by default

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

And any person complaining about Ruth Negga not being “white passing” is straight up DUMB, STUPID.

That’s the whole fucking point of the movie, and the point of the cinematography.

Exactly, I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard Sasha Stone and others on the podcast raise that complaint. She said that the director “Rebecca Hall” would’ve been a better fit for someone who’s white passing…. I mean I’d expect it from like some 50 year old redneck or something… But not from cinephiles/critics who should know better.

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Exactly, I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard Sasha Stone and others on the podcast raise that complaint. She said that the director “Rebecca Hall” would’ve been a better fit for someone who’s white passing…. I mean I’d expect it from like some 50 year old redneck or something… But not from cinephiles/critics who should know better.

Sasha Stone fits more this description than the latter

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.