Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kbc
kaziz
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Sasha Stone fits more this description than the latter

I mean to be fair, she seems always measured and reasonable in her assessments. She doesn’t come off that way. That was the only time I heard something controversial from her. Maybe she had a poor choice of words.

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Just saw The Oscar Expert new predictions video, lol. Pundits still think Belfast is going to sweep? LOL. 🤣

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Every week, “Film bombed at the box office it won’t get nominated (despite people literally not going to movie theaters this year)”

Every week, “Film has a 6.6/10 in IMDB it won’t get nominated (despite this year being the year of IMDB review bombing literally most films.)”

This forum needs to get a grip. The Oscars will do what the Oscars will do.

Profile picture
    Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

Just saw The Oscar Expert new predictions video, lol. Pundits still think Belfast is going to sweep? LOL. 🤣

Yeah, I don’t share that same opinion about Belfast winning best picture, but we’ll see…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I hadn’t realize that these BP nominees had actually been box office hits. (Mostly international box office) THE FATHER: $28 million off a $6 million budget. MINARI: $15 million off a $2 million budget. NOMADLAND: $39 million off a $5 million budget. Interesting 🤔

Promising Young Woman also did well (according to wikipedia it had a budget between 5 to 10 million and grossed a total of $17 million). Judas and the Black Messiah also did fairly well for itself in spite of being released on PVOD internationally before it was released in movie theatres (in the UK for example it was one of the first films to be released before the vaccine uptake was high and was released after it was made available to rent and still grossed more than some of this season’s top contenders).

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I didn’t even know Nomadland pushed $40M, last time I checked it was at like $5M or something

Would have been even more without the pandemic so yeah, it was a hit. A Moonlight kind of hit relative to its low budget but still a hit

FYC

Best Actress - Pénélope Cruz, Olivia Colman

Best Actor - Denzel Washington

Best Supporting Actress - Aunjanue Ellis

Profile picture
    Thespian
    Topics:

Every week, “Film bombed at the box office it won’t get nominated (despite people literally not going to movie theaters this year)” Every week, “Film has a 6.6/10 in IMDB it won’t get nominated (despite this year being the year of IMDB review bombing literally most films.)” This forum needs to get a grip. The Oscars will do what the Oscars will do.

Unfortunately this isn’t only this forum. Most of the so called pundits and experts do the same.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion or whatever but Golden Globe predictions are so unproductive since the award show will be completely irrelevant next year.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

You’d almost not want your favourite to win a golden globe this year…

Profile picture
    K Olivia
    Topics:

Being the Ricardos
    Belfast
    Don’t Look Up
    Dune
    King Richard
    Licorice Pizza
    Nightmare Alley
    The Power of the Dog
    The Tragedy of Macbeth
    West Side Story

———
    Kenneth Branagh, Belfast
    Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    Joel Coen, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    Pablo Larraín, Spencer
    Denis Villeneuve, Dune

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I don’t take imdb ratings seriously, but why is Passing 6.6/10? I heard AwardsWatch panelists complain that the actresses are not “really white passing”, is that really a common complaint about the movie? I didn’t know that’s what people were focusing on (instead of the substance of the movie).

When someone says that you KNOW they missed the whole point of the movie lol. DEAD giveaway.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I didn’t even know Nomadland pushed $40M, last time I checked it was at like $5M or something

Would have been even more without the pandemic so yeah, it was a hit. A Moonlight kind of hit relative to its low budget but still a hit

To be fair, it’s not that surprising that these films did well because they mostly grossed this after they won their Oscars, which is what always happens. The films that will win at the big categories will get a fresh theatrical release and improve their B.O. Always happens, probably not fair to compare it to this year’s films before the awards season starts. Besides, theaters in most places were closed this time last year anyway so it had to be around the beginning of this year to after the Oscars.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Every week, “Film bombed at the box office it won’t get nominated (despite people literally not going to movie theaters this year)”

Every week, “Film has a 6.6/10 in IMDB it won’t get nominated (despite this year being the year of IMDB review bombing literally most films.)”

This forum needs to get a grip. The Oscars will do what the Oscars will do.

You came up with this idea based on? yourself? DUNE has an impressive 8.2 there while Belfast and KR all got above 7.6. For other films having low ratings, don’t you think maybe it’s because they just aren’t that great for general audience? I think those ratings are fair after I watched them. Twitter pundits overhyped too many films. Spencer is one example.

I agree IMDb doesn’t matter for award prospects, but to imply IMDb is only for trolls (just because your fav got lower ratings than you expected I assume) is completely wrong. After all, it’s still the biggest platform for us to measure what general audience think.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

I mean to be fair, she seems always measured and reasonable in her assessments. She doesn’t come off that way. That was the only time I heard something controversial from her. Maybe she had a poor choice of words.

That was five years ago or so. Since then she has transitioned from an intelligent and measured awards pundit into a raging right-winger. It’s quite sad and perhaps telling of the times we live in.

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

I agree IMDb doesn’t matter for award prospects

It does though, or at least there’s a very strong tendency for award winners to have high IMDB scores.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.