Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 496 through 500 (of 500 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
kbc
kaziz
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With its Gotham sweep showing how much passion it has I maintain that The Lost Daughter is a strong contender to be reckoned with (for nominations, I don’t think it will win anything aside from maybe screenplay for Maggie). Sure there’s the Netflix factor of it all but there are ten slots this year, Netflix’s slate is stronger (in reception, quality and awards strength) than it was last and for all we know Ma Rainey was 10th in Best Picture last year.

The Lost Daughter is a film that although primarily a psychological drama is also a film about motherhood and I think with both the critics groups and the televised precursors it seems like the appeal in those themes may manifest themselves in numerous nominations and accolades for this film.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

How many times is this “excited Twitter reactions means we have a new big contender” going to play out here?

LP, DLU now WSS and soon, no doubt, NA.

How about we actually let the films land properly first?

Even after the mixed reactions from HoG (reactions, not reviews) lotta people were still going to predict it and were confident with its box office.

Is it crazy to go crazy over WSS (Spielberg movie) getting exceptional first reactions?

I know you’re nervous over TPOTD but people are hungry for not niche big Oscar contenders. Movies that they are excited for and maybe a reason for them to even bother watching the Oscars.

I know most people here are “edgy” and rally behind these niche movies that no one cares but unlike what you guys want to believe and think the Oscars don’t care, ratings are highly important. If the views just keep crashing and crashing like this… it’s not only embarrassing but also the network has to reevaluate this : If the Oscars have become so irrelevant, where is the value for us to waste money on this? And that goes for any network that maybe were considering trying broadcast the ceremony.

You guys somehow want the Oscars full of niche stuff, that’s great for you. But that’s not what the Oscars used to be and what made people once care about it. People don’t care about Belfast. People don’t care about TPOTD.

Is TPOTD worth a nomination for BP this year? I actually believe it is. And BD. Is it worth any win? I don’t think so. I think there are way more insteresting contenders. I think the only win I could give to TPOTD is Best Actor for Benedict. TPOTD over King Richard any day. Will Smith is worth a nom but King Richard should never be nominated for Best Picture

In the case of Belfast, I don’t think that movie is worth any nominations. At least the major one. Should it get some technical noms? I think so. But no way in hell that would be in the 10 BP lineup. Nor Kenneth at Director. Not even acting noms. Maybe a argument for screenplay nom.

What frustrates me in the Academy is that when they love something about a movie, they bring the whole package and nominate that movie for every categorie. Why is King Richard and Belfast getting BPnoms? Why can’t Will Smith get a Best Actor nom (deserving it so) without nominating King Richard’s whole package? King Richard is not that good. There better Oscars contenders.

I 1000% believe Spencer is way more deserving of a BP nom than King Richard for example

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

I want The Lost Daughters to get in the BP lineup. It’s in my Top10

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

I actually have King Richard in the eighth place and I don’t think it’s a lock at all. It’s obviously not getting Director, Screenplay or Editing. It’s treading on dangerous grounds unless it scores a win at NBR and solidifies its chances but even so…

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

To give my two cents worth on Spielberg’s chances, yes, Director is quite crowded this year, but I really do think the Academy will nominate him for Best Director. His last directing nomination was in 2013 for Lincoln, and West Side Story seems to be his most visually & technically beautiful film since then. It is a possibility that he’ll miss this year, though, building an “overdue” narrative for his potential magnum opus of The Fablemans next year, but I just have a feeling he’ll squeak into the top 5.

With that said, I just can’t see West Side Story winning best picture as 1) musicals usually have a lackluster response with the Academy (à la La La Land), and 2) it’s a remake of a Best Picture winner, but I’m certain it’ll be nominated along with a handful of below-the-lines.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 5 posts - 496 through 500 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.