Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 18)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
pedrohf2001
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 18 is now open.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

So it seems that WSS is indeed getting good notices—I’m not denying that. But the thing about the early raves that you have to do is see what things get brought up that aren’t glowing, or what things aren’t talked about at all. That gives you a clearer picture.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Bold Oscar Predictions Alphabetical Order (bold but they are my bet. Won’t bet in shit I don’t care and feel that have a chance of being snubbed)

Best Picture
    – Being The Ricardos
    – Don’t Look Up
    – Dune
    – Licorice Pizza
    – The Lost Daughter
    – Nightmare Alley
    – The Power of the Dog
    – Spencer
    – Tick Tick Boom
    – West Side Story

Best Director
    – Paul Thomas Anderson
    – Jane Campion
    – Adam McKay
    – Denis Villeneuve
    – Guillermo Del Toro

Best Actress
    – Olivia Colman
    – Alana Haim
    – Nicole Kidman
    – Kristen Stewart
    – Rachel Zegler

Best Actor
    – Bradley Cooper
    – Benedict Cumberbatch
    – Leonardo DiCaprio
    – Andrew Garfield
    – Will Smith

Best Supporting Actress
    – Caitriona Balfe
    – Cate Blanchett
    – Ariana DeBose
    – Kirsten Dunst
    – Aunjanue Ellis

Best Supporting Actor
    – Jon Bernthal
    – Ciaran Hinds
    – Robin de Jesus
    – Kodi Smit-McPhee
    – J.K. Simmons

Adapted Screenplay
    – Dune
    – The Lost Daughter
    – Nightmare Alley
    – The Power of the Dog
    – West Side Story

Original Screenplay
    – Being The Ricardos
    – Belfast
    – Don’t Look Up
    – Licorice Pizza
    – Spencer

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

my signature yeah

FYC: Memoria and House of Gucci for Best Picture

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

These reactionary posts every time we get some positive tweets about a new contender are so tiresome. Sit on it for a lil bit before screaming it’s winning BP.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Belfast will be released for VOD this Friday.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

These reactionary posts every time we get some positive tweets about a new contender are so tiresome. Sit on it for a lil bit before screaming it’s winning BP.

Who’s saying it’s winning BP?

Profile picture
    MD
    Topics:

Who’s saying it’s winning BP?

They are basically talking about it right now in the Best Actress thread, my dude.

Profile picture
    Grunge
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

They are basically talking about it right now in the Best Actress thread, my dude.

How come there is so much more activity in the best actress threads than in the best picture thread? One would think best picture would have the most hype.</p>

Profile picture
    MD
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”> How come there is so much more activity in the best actress threads than in the best picture thread? One would think best picture would have the most hype.</p>

There’s always been like this. The Best Actress thread is the one with the most posts.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Hmn. It’s certainly possible. If WSS really comes out strong with great reviews, lotta hype behind it and being certainly one of the bigger movies this season, there’s actually arguments to believe it.

Is it soon call it now? Yes it is. Could I be calling it in 2weeks-1 month?? Absolutely

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

VF wasting no time jumping into the WSS pool! You’d think we have a Titanic or Return of the King on our hands from all this fuss! Good luck, all other contenders!!! 😉

Vanity Fair: Is West Side Story the New Best-Picture Front-Runner?

Not every shake-up in this reimagining works, but that much of it does as well as it does is a testament to Spielberg’s confident direction, Tony Kushner’s savvy screenplay, and most of all, that cast. My goodness, what a group. Mike Faist was a highlight for me too, but I thought the women stole the show and are most competitive for Oscar nominations—maybe, even wins. (Stop me if I’m going too far!)

— I would say Ariana DeBose is the performance that almost everyone I’ve spoken to is gushing over the most. Close behind, however, is Rachel Zegler’s work as Maria. It’s her feature-film debut, but we are clearly witnessing the birth of a future movie star.

Again, it might be the post-screening high talking, but this morning I’ve been entertaining the notion that Ariana DeBose and Rita Moreno could get nominated—

I mean, why not? The supporting categories have been tough for us to pin down this entire season, and there seems to be ample room for two of them to swoop in and change everything. For that to happen, though, I think we’d need to see a colossal embrace of WSS, which is hard to predict just yet. The National Board of Review will announce their winners this week, and WSS could easily show up there, but next come the critics groups, and it’s hard to imagine the New York Film Critics Circle or Los Angeles Film Critics Association giving it a huge boost.

I suddenly find myself missing the Golden Globes, where it’s easy to imagine WSS sweeping the comedy and musical categories (though Ansel Elgort, to be clear, does not hold a candle to Andrew Garfield’s lead actor work in Tick, Tick…Boom!). So I suppose we’ll be waiting for the Screen Actors and Producers Guild awards in January to potentially confirm its juggernaut status—and by then, with its mid-December release, you can imagine it being a box office hit too.

I feel confident in saying this will prove to be a real game-changer in this year’s Oscars race. It’s filling an enormous gap we’d been identifying for some time, and finds one of the greatest directors alive at the top of his game, working with one of American pop culture’s most revered properties. How is that not a recipe for an awards breakthrough?

Is this our best-picture Goliath? I wouldn’t go that far just yet, but along with The Power of the Dog, Belfast & King Richard, it seems safe to consider Spielberg’s musical in that top tier of contenders , a perfectly timed shake-up. In terms of its prospects, WSS should be feeling very pretty right about now.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

Can’t wait for Belfast to underperform at the precursors and pundits continuing to predict it because “critics are not the industry”.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Hell yeah. WSS aint coming to play

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.