Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 18)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
pedrohf2001
kaziz
kbc
  • Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

The most inaccessible film I’ve seen so far this season is Pig.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

It’s a masterpiece for me. Either you’re into it or not but I find it a bit strange to generalize for AMPAS when there’s plenty of people on here who feel incredibly passionately about it. Plenty of critics, pundits, viewers, actors.

AMPAS is not film twitter or this forum. They are hard to predict, but I don’t see TPOTD being a consensus pick for them. It feels like this year’s Roma to me.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I think House of Gucci could still get a Best Picture nomination. This Academy has nominated weaker films like The Blind Side and even awarded Crash. House of Gucci might be the only drama film this year to actually break even, if they refuse to nominate it their ratings will be in the toilet again I assume.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

First reactions:

Jordan Ruimy (he didn’t respect the one hour embargo): NIGHTMARE ALLEY is a pure genre exercise from Guillermo del Toro akin to Crimson Peak. Glossy film noir. Very over-the-top theatrics, but it mostly works. Bradley Cooper is best in show. Blanchett chews up the scenery with her femme fatale. Gorgeous photography by Dan Laustsen.

On letterboxd:
    “Guillermo loves to fuck up faces and also playing in his golden age Hollywood sandbox! I’m glad I went in fairly blind because I enjoyed the twists and turns. Gorgeous production design, cinematography, and a deep acting bench. David Straitharn supporting MVP?”

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Chocoesq
    Topics:

Nightmare Alley needs a critics push if it’s gonna get in to any major category for being a late breaking film, and it looks like they push is going to go to WSS instead.

Profile picture
    K Olivia
    Topics:

House of Gucci could definitely appeal to Oscar voters’s sensibilities. It’s long, ensemble heavy, and based on a true story. Despite mixed reviews, audiences seem to really like it.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Look at the powerful and important subject matter of Crash and look at the feel good uplifting material based upon a real life story The Blind Side was… Gucci is neither of those.

True that, but Gucci does have an all star cast, raved performances, and something no other contender outside of Dune really has which is solid box office numbers. It’s mixed reception hurt Gucci, but it didn’t kill it’s chances completely.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

House of Gucci could definitely appeal to Oscar voters’s sensibilities. It’s long, ensemble heavy, and based on a true story. Despite mixed reviews, audiences seem to really like it.

Yep, it’s kind of the reverse Spencer in that way.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

First reactions so take it with a grain of salt

James Preston Pole: NIGHTMARE ALLEY: GDT does noir. Take how brilliant you think that’s going to be, amplify it. A handsomely made, scuzzy, ALIVE realm of the sense that you want to stay in forever. The only turn off may be its deliberate pace, but that just makes its ending pay off even more.

Dan Scully: GDT has done it again. Nightmare Alley is superb!

Lyra Hale: After watching #NightmareAlley I can confirm that this is Cate Blanchett’s world and we’re just living in it

Preston Barta: #NightmareAlley. Well, that movie played me like a fiddle.
    @RealGDT
    …always keeping you on your toes with his beautifully dark poetry. So twisted. Gorgeously shot. Great score. Loved it!

Gregory Ellwood: CATE. BLANCHETT Cate and Bradley Cooper are electric in Nightmare Alley. There is one seen that is old school Hollywood magic. GDT has crafted an impressive moral tale that often soars. The pacing hinders it at times and boy is it dark. But CATE.

Clayton Davis: There are two movies within #NightmareAlley. One makes Bradley Cooper a long overdue Oscar winner. The other puts another statue on the shelf of visionary director Guillermo del Toro. Could be one, none or neither for the Academy. At minimum, production design race ended tonight

AlanWCerny: NIGHTMARE ALLEY is delightfully evil. Bradley Cooper is no Tyrone Power, but he holds his own and pulls it off. But Cate Blanchett… oh boy she steals this thing and never gives it back.
    @RealGDT knocks this noir out of the park. Loved it.

Nigel Smith: #NightmareAlley is a gorgeous descent into madness with prob my fave Bradley Cooper performance. And no, it’s not cause he goes full frontal

Jazz Tangcay: Nightmare Alley is all round brilliance. guillermo del toro has made an unbelievably beautiful and incredible film. The production design is breathtaking. The performances are a spectacle with Bradley Cooper delivering one of the best of the year

Carlos Aguilar: Pretty enamored with the perverse deliciousness of NIGHTMARE ALLEY. Such a brilliant mind game played by those avid at deceit and our desire to be seen. Bradley Cooper’s charming charlatan on a fast track to self-destruction and Cate Blanchett’s devilish dame are golden.

Liz Shannon Miller: That “now that’s a goddamn movie!” moment I’ve been waiting for while slogging through these screeners and screenings? It finally happened with #NightmareAlley.

Barry Hetz: NIGHTMARE ALLEY: What starts off as a confounding, skips-several-beats thing turns into Del Toro’s most beguiling English-language film. The trick: When Cate Blanchett enters the picture. (Warning: My TIFF crowd only politely applauded, and this hometown crowd usually goes nuts.)

Kevin Polowy: #NightmareAlley is nice and dark and moody and twisty and Bradley Cooper is really good as a hustler who kisses half the cast while Cate Blanchett steals it as always but the real MVPs are Buffalo’s classic architecture, the steady snowfall, and its stunning production design

Tim Gerber: Nightmare Alley is technically EXQUISITE. Guillermo del Toro’s control of mood here is masterful. Cate Blanchett’s performance is phenomenal, perhaps iconic, and Bradley Cooper gives maybe my favorite performance of his

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Boy am I HYPED for Nightmare Alley.

I know feel confident with Blanchett at Supporting and Bradley at Best Actor over Denzel Washington

EDIT : Yeah it’s just reactions. But it already feels stronger than Denzel ever was. Macbeth is going to be overlooked in major categories

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Cate Blanchett’s performance is phenomenal, perhaps iconic

Cate Blanchett steals it as always

The trick: When Cate Blanchett enters the picture.

Cate Blanchett’s devilish dame are golden.

But Cate Blanchett… oh boy she steals this thing and never gives it back.

CATE. BLANCHETT

After watching #NightmareAlley I can confirm that this is Cate Blanchett’s world and we’re just living in it

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Is Bradley Cooper really gonna win for this or Erick is exaggerating again? Cooper totally looks miscast in this one
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ErickWeber/status/1466251936399724545

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Is Bradley Cooper really gonna win for this or Erick is exaggerating again? Cooper totally looks miscast in this one https://mobile.twitter.com/ErickWeber/status/1466251936399724545

Almost every reaction praise Bradley Cooper.

He doesn’t look miscasted

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.