Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 508 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Babylonian
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I love how TPOTD cannot win because of the Netflix bias but nobody even mentions it when it comes to DLU.

Plus, the Netflix bias is gonna wane at one point. It just did at this year’s Emmys, where Netflix won not just its first but first two series prizes.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

People forget that the last time Netflix was win competitive for this prize (with Roma), Best Picture contenders were grossing millions of dollars at the box office. Films weren’t coming 20 to 45 days after their theatrical release to on demand and Netflix was only one of two major streamers to be competing for Oscars (Amazon being the other). The whole landscape has changed with the pandemic and the introduction of HBO Max and Amazon.

Plus, the Netflix bias is gonna wane at one point. It just did at this year’s Emmys, where Netflix won not just its first but first two series prizes.

Not to mention that not only did it win drama series but it completely swept the field which no drama has ever done at the Emmys.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

This is true. It’s only 7.0 on IMDb. https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

The Crown >>>>>> Spencer

And as someone who loved Jackie, I honestly found Spencer tedious to watch. I didn’t get the point of the story. At least with Power of the Dog, the opening narration and the ending scene with Kodi Smith-McFee’s character makes it clear what the point of the story was in my opinion and it made two hours of beautifully shot and acted confusion worth it. But in Spencer, the gorgeous visuals and Stewart’s performance were the only things that made me finish it but I kept looking at the time and wanting it to finish. I didn’t get the whole Spencer family house plot and I didn’t understand the ending with the hunting. And as a royal fan, I know that Diana never stopped her boys from hunting, so I didn’t get what that was about . I thought the movie was going to be about Diana getting fed up about her marriage leading her to ask Charles for a divorce. But that was barely the plot and in the end we don’t know if they were going to get divorced or not. I just don’t get it.

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

Can someone like summarize their argument on why BP-BD will OR will not be a split this year? Much appreciated

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Idk why and it’s just a feeling but I’m putting NA back in BP at the 10th spot.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

How likely is a King Richard or Belfast BP snub?

I was kinda hoping but Spencer may not be strong enough to get
    into BP even tho I loved it so much.

Also. Will The Lost Daughter get in BP? Idk. So many questions. I would love that.

Also. Are movies like C’mon C’mon or The Tragedy of Macbeth getting in BP? I doubt it but who knows

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Today :

– Atlanta Film Critics Circle (9AM EST)

– Detroit Film Critics Society (10:30AM Detroit Time)

– Washington DC Area Film Critics Association (8AM ET)

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

Also. Will The Lost Daughter get in BP? Idk. So many questions. I would love that.

I don’t think it will. I think Adapted Screenplay and Lead Actress are its best chance. If there are passion picks this year, I think it will be something like CODA, French Dispatch, or something from international feature contender.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

I don’t think it will. I think Adapted Screenplay and Lead Actress are its best chance. If there are passion picks this year, I think it will be something like CODA, French Dispatch, or something from international feature contender.

Yeah and I know kaziz may dissent but I feel the same though I’d love to see both The Lost Daughter and Passing make the BP 10 (but I’d also like to see the same for Jockey – I’m “pie in the sky” that way.) But I sense Netflix may gearing up for a “blockbuster” vs “blockbuster” faceoff between Don’t Look Up and Disney’s West Side Story – setting up a major battle between arguably the nation’s two most powerful entertainment companies.

But yeah, CODA appears stronger than The French Dispatch atm, though even The Last Duel may find enough “old school filmmaking” fans to nudge into the BP

I do not expect to see Drive My Car pop up in BP (its tiny distributor Janus isn’t really equipped to mount that kind of campaign) though there’s still a shot in BD and screenplay owing to those branches’ more adventurous tastes even if the studio can’t wage a robust campaign. But the more heavily promoted Parallel Mothers, A Hero or The Worst Person in the World showing up a “surprise” BP nominee is a distinct possibility – though at least a corresponding BD, writing or acting nom will be a must ofc for whichever one makes it.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I love how TPOTD cannot win because of the Netflix bias but nobody even mentions it when it comes to DLU.

When is DLU considered to be the frontrunner in BP and BD? Ppl don’t talk about other Netflix films because they are not as winning-competitive as TPOTD apparently.

I think you’re clearly awared of this.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    MD
    Topics:

When is DLU considered to be the frontrunner in BP and BD? Ppl don’t talk about other Netflix films because they are not as winning-competitive as TPOTD apparently.

I think you’re clearly awared of this.

A lot of people here have been saying DLU can win and the Netflix bias wasn’t even touched upon.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

1. Dune (Warner Bros)

2. West Side Story (Fox/Disney)

3. King Richard (Warner Bros)

4. The Power of the Dog (Netflix)

5. Licorice Pizza (MGM)

6. The Tragedy of Macbeth (A24)

7. Belfast (Focus Features)

8. Nightmare Alley (Fox/Disney)

9. Don’t Look Up (Netflix)

10. House of Gucci (MGM)

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Denis Villeneuve is being underestimated like crazy. The Academy appreciates films with scale in Best Director.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

A lot of people here have been saying DLU can win and the Netflix bias wasn’t even touched upon.

Netflix bias isn’t a thing anymore. If it ever was. Lol.

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

Denis Villeneuve is being underestimated like crazy. The Academy appreciates films with scale in Best Director.

Are u talking about a nom or a win?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)’ is closed to new replies.