Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 496 through 508 (of 508 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Babylonian
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

BTR and DLU are having their scores creep back up, yes, but it’s important to remember how lofty the expectations for them were. They underperformed critically, no two ways about it. Maybe overwhelming audience support would help them, like with Bohemian Rhapsody, but frankly audiences don’t give a fuck right now.

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Curious to know….Do you guys really think “Tick Tick Boom” is that great? To me, it’s mediocre at best, except for Garfield’s terrific performance.

I found it pretty bad, Garfield included. Don’t see it at Oscars beyond an Actor nom tbh. The Lost Daughter might steal its attention from Netflix releases alongside The Power of the Dog and Don’t Look Up.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Curious to know….Do you guys really think “Tick Tick Boom” is that great? To me, it’s mediocre at best, except for Garfield’s terrific performance.

I found it pretty average, but seeing that people are loving it and it’s ending up in some end of year lists I am predicting it for BP. It’s not going in my personal top 10 though!

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

In recent years the director’s branch of the academy has been nominating one and even two foreign language films in their Best Director lineup most years – Parasite and Roma winning, Cold War, Another Round, Amour… will there be a foreign language nominee this year? Paolo Sorrentino, Pedro Almodovar, Jonas Poher Rasmussen, Asghar Farhadi, Julie Ducournau, Hamagushi, Joachim Trier – personally I think if there will be one it will be Paolo Sorrentino but I am leaning towards their cancelling each other out so that all five will be English language nominees this year. I loved The Hand of God and it was superbly directed, I could see the director’s branch going for it…

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I found it pretty average, but seeing that people are loving it and it’s ending up in some end of year lists I am predicting it for BP. It’s not going in my personal top 10 though!

Def not my top 10 either, but yeah… I guess people are loving it? I didn’t exactly see this coming, but it’s looking like it’ll make it.

Garfield is incredible, he deserves. All the plaudits coming to this film belong to him (Robin de Jesus is also lovely, and I thought Vanessa Hudgens was pretty good too).

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

The way AAFCA just said NOPE to Licorice Pizza. I think they were probably irked by the age gap and rightfully so.

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

The totally flipped consensus on West Side Story is delicious. I said it all season long: don’t bet against Spielberg.

(Also, yes I’m gloating; get over it. Everybody likes being right 😁)

Emmys FYC:

Comedy Series - Abbott Elementary, Atlanta, Barry, The Great, Hacks, Only Murders in the Building, Reservation Dogs, Ted Lasso, What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Series - Better Call Saul, Ozark, Pachinko, Severance, Squid Game, Stranger Things, Succession, This Is Us, Yellowjackets

Limited Series - Station Eleven

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:
    M
    Topics:

Respectfully, “The Harder They Fall” at #1 is 💀. Didn’t like that one.

You have to realize this association is more focused on what appeals to POC. It’s not really gonna match the taste of predominantly-white film twitter. So yes obviously some picks may be surprising because of what we’re used to see from other critics circles. But it’s an important reminder of how different demographics can view different movies. Because we tend to hear only from one specific demographic.

Profile picture
    Jordan_Pack
    Topics:

I watched The Power of the Dog last night… what a snoozefest until around the last 20 minutes… HOW are people predicting this for Best Picture?????

tick tick…Boom! was also fairly average to me, aside from Andrew’s great performance, and the diner scene. But, I will say, I would think it makes people *feel better* than a movie like TPOTD…

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I just watched “King Richard” and it is instantly one of the best drama films (the more conventional type) in these years to me. I doubted it even right before I watched it but wow, it’s been a long time since I saw this kind of conventional drama film with such a compelling story and great pacing. I’m surprised I didn’t feel bored during its 2.5hr runtime. This is so winning competitive in screenplay, supporting actress, and leading actor. But yeah, direction is not happening.

This is also, imo, the strongest screenplay contender I’ve seen so far this year. (Among the top contenders I’ve seen are TPOTD, Belfast, Dune, TTB, Spencer, and Passing.) “Licorice Pizza” seems to be the one to beat in its Original Screenplay category, tho.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

Period.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 13 posts - 496 through 508 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)’ is closed to new replies.