Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Babylonian
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

I agree that Belfast felt a bit Meh but I think you’ve highlighted something beyond the stageyness (is that a word?) of it. It feels a bit contrived, a bit Look At Me, a bit please Oscar give me some.

Profile picture
    We keep the news light!
    Topics:

The Green Knight is rising with three BP noms and some noms in cinematography, score and director

FYC
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Jon Bernthal
    Bes Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in The World

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

The Green Knight is rising with three BP noms and some noms in cinematography, score and director

Nice one. It’s one of the best I’ve seen all year. Dev Patel was awesome

Laga Gaga for Best Actress.

House of Gucci for best picture.

Belfast for everything - Best Picture win

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

’The Tragedy of Macbeth’ to Receive Free One-Day IMAX Preview Screenings at Select IMAX Locations Around the World

—The exclusive engagement will be followed by a special livestream Q&A with director Joel Coen and star Frances McDormand.

It’s interesting that they skip the Contenders events but are up for this. And where is Denzel Washington – who also has his latest directing project A Journal for Jordan hitting theaters this month – he’s just not on the radar.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    kingfan011
    Topics:

Pizza is starting to bomb with critics groups

Profile picture
    Joe Langer
    Topics:

Belfast is good. Not great but good. They underutilized Judi Dench there. The kid is the real star.

Member of the Screen Actors Guild. Inducted in 1999.
    Now retired.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Pizza is starting to bomb with critics groups

Delusional

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

The funny thing about Green Knight is that I actually placed it 2 weeks ago in the VFX category. It’s a big bet, but the Academy loves doing out of the blue nominees in the VFX category. If it pays off, it pays off. Taking that bet.

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

There’s always that 1 movie that does insane with critics groups but ends up not even getting a nomination at the Oscar. Which one will it be this year?

Profile picture
    Rodrigo Moura
    Topics:
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Best Picture
    1. The Power of the Dog
    2. Licorice Pizza
    3. Belfast
    4. West Side Story
    5. Dune
    6. Don’t Look Up
    7. King Richard
    8. Being The Ricardos
    9. The Lost Daughter
    10. C’mon C’mon

Best Director
    1. Jane Campion – The Power of the Dog
    2. Paul Thomas Anderson – Licorice Pizza
    3. Steven Spielberg – West Side Story
    4. Denis Villeneuve – Dune
    5. Joachim Trier – The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Best Picture 1. The Power of the Dog 2. Licorice Pizza 3. Belfast 4. West Side Story 5. Dune 6. Don’t Look Up 7. King Richard 8. Being The Ricardos 9. The Lost Daughter 10. C’mon C’mon Best Director 1. Jane Campion – The Power of the Dog 2. Paul Thomas Anderson – Licorice Pizza 3. Steven Spielberg – West Side Story 4. Denis Villeneuve – Dune 5. Joachim Trier – The Worst Person in the World

Like you, I believe we’ll have an international director getting the nom. Will it be Trier or Julia?

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

I know this is not the specific forum for reviews so I’ll keep my thoughts mostly BP-focused

Just saw The Power of the Dog and I’d give it an 8.5/10.

I’d say it was more “accessible” than Nomadland from the fact that it was more traditionally dramatic than Nomadland was. It has a more traditional plot structure than what Nomadland has. There are mostly clear protagonists and antagonists unlike Nomadland which was a character study where supporting players moved in and out of Fern’s life. In that film, it seemed like the system was the main antagonist and it also had a very barebones plot structure unlike TPOTD. However, Nomadland’s emotional grab is more clear than The Power of the Dog’s. Though The Power of the Dog definitely resonated with me on an emotional level (the idea that there are no redeeming characters is ludicrous), it does seem that some people were left cold by it.

All of this said, I think TPOTD can still win BP this year though I don’t think it would’ve been able to beat films like Parasite, 12 Years a Slave, Moonlight (or even La La Land).

I think it can still win because none of the other films in contention hit enough boxes for me personally to be sure about its chances.

Belfast is going to be the 1917, Trial of the Chicago 7 of the year at best in that it’s a period film that’s emotionally impactful yet doesn’t feel meaningful to the current cultural moment in any way, especially due to its apparent lack of interest in tackling the sociocultural issues that were at the heart of the Troubles (which is something that can be said about Spotlight, Moonlight, Parasite, and Nomadland, and even TPOTD to an extent less obvious than the four previously-mentioned films)

Licorice Pizza seems like too much of a hangout movie in that its plot structure doesn’t seem too rigid (I haven’t seen it so please correct me if I’m wrong here). I think it would’ve been win-competitive last year with Nomadland as its competition but I’m not sure about its chances this year with films like TPOTD and Belfast in the mix. It also doesn’t have the “cultural moment relevance” factor that recent BP winners have had.

West Side Story has the fact that it’s a musical against it. Musicals are still not every one’s cup of tea and while it can make a claim for cultural relevance (again I don’t know how sociocultural issues are addressed in the film so again correct me on that), the fact that it’s a remake could possible hurt it. Though if it’s campaigned as a relevant reimagining of the original, it can possibly win though I feel like I need to see it to make more informed judgements.

Honestly if something like Don’t Look Up gets an 85+ Metascore I think it could win since it’s about climate change (which David Sirota probably enhances the treatment of) and its obviously going to be widely-watched with that cast. But this is really only if it gets universal or close to universal critical acclaim. Otherwise, it won’t have enough support.

All of these are competitive for a win I just don’t know who to back (Note: I saw King Richard and there’s no way that’s winning)

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

Also I thought Dune was pretty pretty good but genre bias is obviously a factor but I do think it would be in my #6 spot over King Richard (which would be at #7). I still do think Denis will get a BD nom though.

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Anyone else feel that other than Campion, the director nominees aren’t as locked as it might seem? I can see the Academy snubbing left and right.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)’ is closed to new replies.