Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Babylonian
pedrohf2001
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

FYI: I feel like The Green Knight is gonna do pretty well with critics awards. It makes total sense, it was a huge critical success, it’s gotten a bunch of nods so far. I doubt it’ll translate to more than Indie Spirits but who knows, a Screenplay or tech nod is certainly possible. The techs are stellar.

Also: could Nicolas Cage in Pig be a dark horse??

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

PETA encourages their followers to rate TPotD with the lowest score. They’ve been trying to cancel this film, especially Benedict ever since he stopped being vegan.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

No one is expecting universal acclaim. There are probably plenty of viewers out there who thought Nomadland was boring or who would never watch or enjoy Shape of Water, Moonlight or Parasite.

There just isn’t a typical Oscar winner any more. There just isn’t.

The “crowd pleaser” argument is just a campaign tool this year to boost certain offerings like Belfast and King Richard.

TOPTD was runner up at TIFF, performed well with Telluride audiences & has done well on Netflix.

MC scores have shown the academy in the preferential era more inclined to go with a critically acclaimed film, over 86 apart from Green Book (69).

AMPAS vote for who they like best in the moment which is informed by many factors including politics & campaigns.

If TPOTD is favoured in director & screenplay, and string in acting & techs, then it’s in the mix for picture.  It’s as simple as that.

It’s ok if it’s a bit of an underDOG too lol

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

PETA encourages their followers to rate TPotD with the lowest score. They’ve been trying to cancel this film, especially Benedict ever since he stopped being vegan.

Honestly, the scenes with the horses disturbed me a bit. The thing about TPOTD is that it could leave a lot of members of the Academy more unsettled than entertained. Plus it may not play well to a mostly male voting body when it is a critique of toxic masculinity. I think this is this year’s Roma.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The last Oscar contending film that got shut out in wins at the BIFAs was The Imitation Game (which also went 0 for 9 at the BAFTAs). No BIFA nominations leader has ever been shut out in wins.

Saying Belfast under-performed isn’t something that is subjective or biased.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

And the 0 from 11 noms is only part of the story. It didn’t land picture, director or screenplay noms in the first place even though it was tied nomination leader.

No-one is saying that it means it can’t win BP, but even at BIFA, you would have expected the Oscar front runner to get just a little bit of love.

It is indeed a fact that it underperformed. How you interpret it is subject to opinion.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Honestly, the scenes with the horses disturbed me a bit. The thing about TPOTD is that it could leave a lot of members of the Academy more unsettled than entertained. Plus it may not play well to a mostly male voting body when it is a critique of toxic masculinity. I think this is this year’s Roma.

That’s a really weird claim and idea. There is genuinely no intuitive reason it would make any man feel bad or uncomfortable, it’s not anti-male nor is it like some shrieking screed on gender politics. If anything I think it might play better because of the way it humanizes Phil.

Also you know that the “animal abuse” on-screen wasn’t…real right? It wasn’t actually enacted, this isn’t the 1950s.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Belfast yet, but it seems like some people are lukewarm towards it now. Is it because of some pundits claiming for months it would sweep and get into BP? Does the underperformance at BIFA mean it’s not popular in the UK entertainment industry?

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

FINAL predictions, I don’t need precursors, this is it!

1. West Side Story
    2. Belfast
    3. Don’t Look Up
    4. Power of the Dog
    5. King Richard
    6. Nightmare Alley
    7. Dune
    8. Licorice Pizza
    9. CODA
    10. Tick tick Boom

Director:
    1. Spielberg
    2. Campion
    3. Del Toro
    4. Branagh
    5. McKay

PTA and Villeneuve both getting snubbed is gonna make the fanboys so mad, can’t wait!

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    deemura
    Topics:

I don’t think they are the same crowd as The Quartering or Geeks and Gamers who are definitely uncomfortable with that particular topic. Also there’s no animal cruelty involved, Benedict is very strict on that and I doubt this production allowed that kind of treatment. This is a magic of film-making. Parroting kaziz, we’re not in 50s anymore, technology helps.

Profile picture
    Vincent Figueroa
    Topics:

The Power of the Dog is a tedious and boring movie. The only thing that stands out is Cumberbatch.

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

I honestly think there’s a CHANCE DLU could win at end of all, in the Oscars. The fear people had of it being too on-the-nose seems to be mostly assuaged — in fact people seem to *like* how up front and in-your-face it is. The only thing to my knowledge that people think is really holding it back is that it’s a bit too comedic, but (1) every year we say a movie is too “slow” (Nomadland) or “weird” (Shape of Water) or “small” (Moonlight) or whatever for the Academy and it never proves to be as big of an issue as people think it is, and (2) the biggest issue with comedies at the Oscars is that they aren’t perceived as being “serious” or “important” enough to be worthy of the top prize, but the subject matter should make that negligible.

I really do think there’s a chance this wins.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

This is true. It’s only 7.0 on IMDb and I’m still stunned by the difference between audience’s and critics’ reactions.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    snowball
    Topics:

I love how TPOTD cannot win because of the Netflix bias but nobody even mentions it when it comes to DLU.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 19)’ is closed to new replies.