Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

I’d say West Side Story is the likeliest. ITH did poorly at the box office and is unlikely to be remembered come March. Evan Hansen looks pretty poor. I don’t have much faith in WSS personally, but at the minute it’s ahead of those two.

I would be extremely shocked if In the Heights got any nominations if I’m being honest, but it is truly an incredible film. Hopefully it gets some love at maybe the SAGs or something

Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I have TTB and WSS getting in for picture right now. WSS could appeal to older voters.

Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Amazon has asked that we add in the following film to our Oscars predictions:

ENCOUNTERS (Amazon)
    Director: Michael Pearce
    Screenplay: Original
    Lead Actor: Riz Ahmed
    Lead Actress: Octavia Spencer

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

ENCOUNTERS (Amazon)

I believe this is tipped for Telluride.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

So is the only reason I’m seeing Eternals get predicted on some sites because of Chloe Zhao? Obviously haven’t seen it yet, but MCU has only broken into Best Picture with Black Panther and I don’t really see it happening again. It’s an amazing franchise truly, but the Oscars have been snooty towards it

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

ENCOUNTERS (Amazon)
    Director: Michael Pearce
    Screenplay: Original
    Lead Actor: Riz Ahmed
    Lead Actress: Octavia Spencer

I believe this is tipped for Telluride.

It will get released on TIFF as well.

Michael Pearce is a BAFTA winner for Beast (Best Debut), but the premise of the movie doesn’t seem like it’s a very oscar friendly movie. It’s a sci-fi

On top of that, they must be worried that Being the Ricardos doesn’t get ready and they won’t have a top contender for the Oscars.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’ve been told that Netflix is waiting to see how Don’t Look Up performs before they decide to campaign it for awards. Apparently it’s more like McKay’s comedies than his Oscar films. Take that as you will…

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

So is the only reason I’m seeing Eternals get predicted on some sites because of Chloe Zhao? Obviously haven’t seen it yet, but MCU has only broken into Best Picture with Black Panther and I don’t really see it happening again. It’s an amazing franchise truly, but the Oscars have been snooty towards it

Also big diverse cast that could win SAG. Feige also tweeted that it would win Best Picture, if that matters.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I’ve been told that Netflix is waiting to see how Don’t Look Up performs before they decide to campaign it for awards. Apparently it’s more like McKay’s comedies than his Oscar films. Take that as you will…

This seems unlikely given that it’s not coming out until what, December? Presumably Netflix will have needed to do media buys etc before then.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Also big diverse cast that could win SAG. Feige also tweeted that it would win Best Picture, if that matters.

But Dune can’t. Suuure. I was right that part of Dune hate is induced by Marvelites who are afraid of its stealing Eternals thunder. Double standard there.

Also, last time I checked, Vin Diesel tweeted that some F&F movie was going to win Best Picture too.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

This seems unlikely given that it’s not coming out until what, December? Presumably Netflix will have needed to do media buys etc before then.

it doesn’t make much sense to me either, but I’m just repeating what I’ve been told. Don’t shoot the messenger

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Thought so. It’s a HUGE TENTPOLE ENSEMBLE film. And a comedy. Those actually aren’t anywhere near as Oscar-friendly as people think they are. Same for musicals like The Prom and Nine, which have loads of “pedigree.”

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Well, it could be very commercially successful as a holiday movie. And if that gets them some awards attention, great. Otherwise…they’ll always have the $$$

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It will get released on TIFF as well.

Michael Pearce is a BAFTA winner for Beast (Best Debut), but the premise of the movie doesn’t seem like it’s a very oscar friendly movie. It’s a sci-fi

On top of that, they must be worried that Being the Ricardos doesn’t get ready and they won’t have a top contender for the Oscars.

Amazon has Annette and The Electrical Life of Louis Wain (no release date and what of Cumberbatch already having his vehicle so maybe…best to push till 2022? It looks good!) Neither seem likely as big contenders, even if I still think Driver’s best chance is with Annette. Foy maybe could get in with Louis Wain.

FWIW, the plot is sci-fi yeah but there’s a new kind of sci-fi film that has been made that is much more in the drama zone and could easily be embraced by the Academy. I always wonder what would’ve happened if Midnight Special hadn’t been dumped early the same year that Jeff Nichols made Loving. Midnight Special is a fantastic film with a fairly restrained approach to sci-fi (like Arrival, which is arguably more sci-fi than Midnight Special). If films like Encounter or Swan Song are at all similar and if they position themselves at the right time, they could definitely be Oscar friendly. Not to mention: Dune is pretty hardcore sci-fi, so if and when that happens, the Academy’s tendency to dismiss sci-fi will be at least somewhat weakened.

FYC:

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

it doesn’t make much sense to me either, but I’m just repeating what I’ve been told. Don’t shoot the messenger

I’m not – just responding with a thought. As FYC ads etc will need to be purchased if they are going to campaign it.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.