Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Am I the only one here who’s really skeptical about Macbeth? I mean, the Coens don’t have a perfect track record and only of them made this film for the first time in their careers.

I’m skeptical about it as well, I feel like it might be too niche for the Academy. The artsiness of Mank combined with Shakespeare. The alarms are going off here

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Interesting. TPOTD versus THE LAST DUEL for Best Picture Oscar. I prefer to wait for HOUSE OF GUCCI trailer because we don’t know who is better: THE LAST DUEL or HOUSE OF GUCCI

Profile picture
    Cremildo
    Topics:

But that trailer…Matt Damon and Ben Affleck will be sure to bring down the film’s quality.

What about the trailer? I thought it was fantastic, and most mentions of it on Twitter were positive. Affleck was in it for just a couple of scenes, and Damon looked fine – everybody took a backseat to Jodie Comer anyway.

Let’s not get carried away with biases.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’m skeptical about it as well, I feel like it might be too niche for the Academy. The artsiness of Mank combined with Shakespeare. The alarms are going off here

I share the skepticism but not because I think it’ll be niche or weird or anything, but because it’s Macbeth, which has just been adapted SO MANY TIMES that it’s stale material & really hard to get emotional reactions from. It’s the sort of thing that makes for very soulless actors’ showcases, not a story people are necessarily super invested in.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Macbeth rumors are surprising, but I maintain the hesitation I always had with the movie…which is, what is the real demand for yet another Shakespeare adaptation? And particularly Macbeth? Audiences are looking for something a bit more contemporary thematically to attach to, imo, and if it can’t do that successfully I think it was always going to have an uphill battle.

Still, not like Venice hasn’t let some real duds play before. Can anyone think of a film reportedly rejected by Venice that went on to have a successful awards play recently? The only one close I can think of is Uncut Gems, I think.

Rumors aside on Belfast, I am absolutely refusing to embrace that for the time being. Just nothing I have heard or seen about it says anything other than failed Oscar bait to me regardless of Focus’ confidence. I think they pivot to Soho but am willing to be wrong.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I couldn’t even finish with the trailer of “The Last Duel”. It’s so emotionally cold and visually uninteresting to me, judging by only the trailer. It made it in Venice OOC so let’s wait and see…

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

With this information, I’m probably going to drop Macbeth from my top 10. The only issue is that I don’t know what to put in its place. Maybe Gucci, maybe Belfast, maybe I’ll go crazy and pull something out of the 100/1s. What are we thinking?

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

1. Nightmare Alley
    2. Don’t Look Up
    3. The Power of the Dog
    4. Dune
    5. House of Gucci
    6. Soggy Bottom
    7. West Side Story
    8. Belfast
    9. The Last Duel
    10. Last Night in Soho

11. The Lost Daughter
    12. The Worst Person in the World
    13. Spencer
    14. tick…tick…Boom!
    15. King Richard
    16. The Tragedy of Macbeth
    17. The French Dispatch
    18. C’mon C’mon
    19. CODA
    20. Parallel Mothers

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Ted Lasso

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Best Picture

1. Dune (winner)
    2. Nightmare Alley
    3. The Power of the Dog (runner-up)
    4. Belfast
    5. The Worst Person in the World
    6. West Side Story
    7. Don’t Look Up
    8. The Last Duel
    9. Soggy Bottom
    10. The Lost Daughter

Next 5: The French Dispatch, House of Gucci, A Hero, Spencer, King Richard

Best Director

1. Denis Villeneuve – Dune
    2. Jane Campion – The Power of the Dog
    3. Guillermo del Toro – Nightmare Alley
    4. Joachim Trier – The Worst Person in the World
    5. Ridley Scott – The Last Duel

Next 5: Paul Thomas Anderson – Soggy Bottom, Kenneth Branagh – Belfast, Steven Spielberg – West Side Story, Maggie Gyllenhaal – The Lost Daughter, Leos Carax – Annette

Rumors of Tragedy of Macbeth being rejected at Venice is quite alarming and I don’t know if I believe it but this is the type of the auteur film that requires a strong festival run to win Best Picture so I am no longer considering the film viable to win Best Picture. The Last Duel appearing at Venice is quite interesting even though it is out of competition, the film will be able to build buzz throughout the season and perhaps its festival premiere alludes to the film being a major player? There was a recent article that discussed The Last Duel‘s filmmaking and remarked that due to the film’s sensitive subject matter of rape, the female screenwriter, Nicole Holofcener exclusively worked on sections of that screenplay. I’m starting to think The Last Duel will be a very strong competitor in Best Picture and serve its important sociopolitical message with competence and value. But that trailer…Matt Damon and Ben Affleck will be sure to bring down the film’s quality. I’m predicting a The Power of the Dog and The Last Duel showdown in Best Picture.

Why did you ever consider a Macbeth movie viable to win Best Picture?

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I don’t know it was a no guts no glory prediction that the film was top 3 in Best Picture thinking Coen did something revolutionary with the material that makes it some renowned masterpiece. After its rejection at Venice, I no longer think the film will play out that way.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

This is probably a good time for me to say that despite my intense skepticism for The Tragedy of Macbeth…yeah, I do not buy that Venice outright rejected them. Joel Coen, Denzel Washington, and Frances McDormand a year after they premiered Nomadland which swept…everything…?

Telluride arguably has the balls to reject a film simply because it’s known to be a no-fuss festival that—until Roma failed to win BP—had the longstanding Oscar/Telluride premiere stat.

Cannes definitely has the balls to reject a film with that pedigree. Venice does not. Not only has it always been jockeying with TIFF & Telluride for glitz & glamor, it’s also been trying to predict the Oscars for some time now. Rejection? I doubt it.

I think the sources are trustworthy, just not the full story. I can see it for Blonde, but more likely in both cases I think Venice asked for them to be OOC instead, and that was a no-go. Netflix in particular is arrogant that way. None of their films are going OOC because Netflix doesn’t like shit like that—it would’ve been the same thing Thierry Frémaux offered them at Cannes: out of competition. Netflix didn’t want that.

That’s probably why Netflix may has “as many as 4 films” going to Telluride. Telluride doesn’t have awards. Every film is arguably given the same amount of prestige (not quite, but Telluride tries to make it seem that way as much as possible).

FYC:

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

To be fair, that understandably hasn’t exactly been an unpopular prediction with the pedigree attached.

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

Everyone in awards twitter is freaking out about their Oscar predictions after Canterbury Glass delay and I’m just sitting here calm since I haven’t predicted that movie for anything in months.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

dune and the last duel look horrible. they will both flop hard at venice and the box office. anyone predicting dune for acting noms should check themselves into a mental institution

I’m slotting Dune in for now solely because of what sarahvsmovies has told us about it 🙂 Primarily that it is very different to the trailer.

Not for acting—the best bet there is Ferguson, but I doubt anyone else will come close—but as a BP player. It’s going to be a very hard task, and no matter what it ends up being, it will be divisive to some degree. Some superfans of the book will hate it because…that’s what superfans are like. But if Villeneuve can pull it off…

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Frankly, maybe Netflix should take a page out of the other studios’ playbook and actually tried to play tick, tick…BOOM! out of competition, especially if it’s the huge crowd-pleaser they’re saying it is.

More likely, they’re going to try to take films like Blonde, Passing, tick, tick…BOOM!* to Telluride now.

* Henceforth, I am not saying the film’s name like that. It’s really annoying to type out lol. Tick Tick Boom.

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.